Chicago Mayor Election 2011: Emanuel has big lead in Tribune poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:08:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chicago Mayor Election 2011: Emanuel has big lead in Tribune poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Chicago Mayor Election 2011: Emanuel has big lead in Tribune poll  (Read 12746 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 06:50:52 PM »

So, did anyone hear that Rahm got knocked off the ballot today by an appellate court?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »

In Brazil, 3 senators got election without be allowed by Electoral Court (João Capiberibe,PSB-AP, Cássio Cunha Lima, PSDB-PB and Jader Barbalho, PMDB-PA). Now, 3rd places (in 2010 election, each state elected 2 senators) can go into the office. Now, I can see that this problem isn't only from the Brazil.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 07:24:19 PM »

In Brazil, 3 senators got election without be allowed by Electoral Court (João Capiberibe,PSB-AP, Cássio Cunha Lima, PSDB-PB and Jader Barbalho, PMDB-PA). Now, 3rd places (in 2010 election, each state elected 2 senators) can go into the office. Now, I can see that this problem isn't only from the Brazil.

This is different. This is a residency requirement thing, common to a lot of places. Le Pen got knocked for it in 2004 in PACA. Those 3 in Brazil were crooks or convicted of such things.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »

It means the GOP has a shot for an upset. If they play their cards right.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:44 PM »

You made me LOL Grin
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »

Aye, we'll see how he fairs when the spotlight is on him, but with Braun's huge unfavorables, he should get a lot of support.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »

That's not going to happen.  For starters, the election is non-partisan.  And the last time a Chicago mayoral election was partisan, the Republicans ran a clown - literally - that was his day job.   He got less than 10% of the vote.  Heck, IIRC, it was less than 5%.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 08:14:07 PM »

Rahm can pull a Murkowski and run as a write-in if need be.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0111/No_Rahm_writein.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 08:37:35 PM »

Kicking opponents off the ballot, it should be said, is a time-honored Illinois tradition.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2011, 08:45:17 PM by cinyc »

No he can't, unless the latest ruling is overturned on appeal to the Illinois Supremes.  Under the intermediate Illinois appellate court's reading of the relevant law, he isn't eligible to hold the Chicago mayor's office.   According to the ruling, that law states:
"A person is not eligible for an elective municipal office unless that person is a qualified elector of the municipality and has resided in the municipality at least one year next preceding the election or appointment ***."
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »

Kicking opponents off the ballot, it should be said, is a time-honored Illinois tradition.

Something Barack Obama knows well.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 08:58:51 PM »

This one actually seems legitimate though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »

Yeah, and I'm sure the lawyers bringing the suit have the noblest of civic intentions.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »

Something Barack Obama knows well.

Yup!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »

I have a hunch Rahm won't be getting back on the ballot. Hello Mayor Chico.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »

Yeah, and I'm sure the lawyers bringing the suit have the noblest of civic intentions.

Since when is getting the no good bum who's not paying you knocked off the ballot so that the great, virtuous politician who is paying you wins the election not "the noblest of civic intentions"?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »

Indeed. To suggest that they are motivated by anything other than civic pride and a sense of fair play is not so much ludicrous, though it is, but offensive.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 10:05:54 PM »

Only in Chicago: http://www.gerychicoformayor.com/Polish/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 10:07:09 PM »

I really don't like Rahm, but I don't feel like this court ruling was quite right.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 10:30:55 PM »

I continue to say that this is the best http://twitter.com/#!/MayorEmanuel
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »

I really don't like Rahm, but I don't feel like this court ruling was quite right.

Did you actually read the ruling or is this based on some sense of "fairness"? 

The law is what it is.  The judge who wrote the opinion is apparently well-respected.  We'll have to see if the Illinois Supreme Court even hears the appeal.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »

The law is what it is.  The judge who wrote the opinion is apparently well-respected.  We'll have to see if the Illinois Supreme Court even hears the appeal.

I think there's an emotional sense of wrongness associated with the concept of kicking off the leading candidate with a split court decision (2-1) and based off of strict local rules that wouldn't necessarily apply elsewhere.  There's a feeling that the courts should error on the side of leniency when it comes to ballot access, I think

What's legally correct, is, of course, another matter
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 11:30:03 PM »

The law is what it is.  The judge who wrote the opinion is apparently well-respected.  We'll have to see if the Illinois Supreme Court even hears the appeal.

I think there's an emotional sense of wrongness associated with the concept of kicking off the leading candidate with a split court decision (2-1) and based off of strict local rules that wouldn't necessarily apply elsewhere.  There's a feeling that the courts should error on the side of leniency when it comes to ballot access, I think

What's legally correct, is, of course, another matter

What's fair is for a law that has been on the books for decades be uniformly enforced, regardless of whether the candidate in question is a former clown or former adviser to the President of the United States.  And what's fair is that if a state like Illinois strictly adheres to the letter of the law when kicking people off the ballots, that they do so even when the candidate in question is a former adviser to the President of the United States.  If the election law was strictly applied to knock Barack Obama's opponents off of the State Senate ballot, fairness dictates that the law equally be strictly applied here.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2011, 12:00:20 AM by Loonar »

Of course, of course.  The law should be interpreted consistently, and if it seems wrong or outdated, be changed for future elections.  I wasn't commenting on that because I doubt anyone cares that I think that, I'm simply musing on the situation.

All I said was that there is a feeling of "wrongness" if you will, about the whole situation.  It's not surprising that it requires a leading candidate (as opposed to a clown) to almost get knocked off in order to draw sufficient attention to the rules to get them reformed. 

Usually knocking off opponents is a tool for stronger candidates to muscle out the weaker ones in advance, not the other way around.  As long as it was the outsiders getting the boot, naturally, it's not an issue of prominence among the rulemakers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies