In Defense of Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:59:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  In Defense of Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Defense of Hillary  (Read 3909 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2004, 03:07:04 PM »

Everyone around her thinks that Hillary Clinton would get creamed should she get the DNC Nomination in 2008. However, wouldn't she have some huge advantages that other Democrats wouldn't have?

-A superior campaign team. Most likely, the Bill Clinton people would come back, and even GOPers who despised Clinton should admit that he surrounded himself with good people, in an electoral sense. Plus, I think Clinton himself would give a bit more detailed campaign advice to Hillary than he did to Kerry.

-Fundraising. Only Dean could match the fundraising she could do.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 05:24:27 PM »

As much as she could fundraise, I just can't see her winning. I think there would be a barrier about 3 percentage points shy of a win. That's simply not good enough an outlook before the GOP attack dogs get their way.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 05:44:56 PM »

As much as she could fundraise, I just can't see her winning. I think there would be a barrier about 3 percentage points shy of a win. That's simply not good enough an outlook before the GOP attack dogs get their way.

But with the storied campaign team, she could [gasp] have her own attack dogs.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 06:07:58 PM »

Yes, much like Kerry had his own attack dogs this year.

The Republicans are good at making people have bad personal images. The Democrats are good at making people look bad on the issues. People would rather have someone they could have brunch with than someone who is good on the issues in the Presidency.

And they already hate Clinton.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 06:11:01 PM »

Regardless of her campaign staff and what her administration would like, you can't change the fact that a large portion of the country simply hates her.  Even I dislike her a bit, and would be very reluctant to vote for her for president
DaleC76
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 09:29:29 AM »

Everyone around her thinks that Hillary Clinton would get creamed should she get the DNC Nomination in 2008. However, wouldn't she have some huge advantages that other Democrats wouldn't have?

-A superior campaign team. Most likely, the Bill Clinton people would come back, and even GOPers who despised Clinton should admit that he surrounded himself with good people, in an electoral sense. Plus, I think Clinton himself would give a bit more detailed campaign advice to Hillary than he did to Kerry.

Yes, she would inherit a good team.  Be careful about awarding too much credit to Clinton's campaign team, however, as they had an outstanding natural campaigner to work with.  Hillary is not Bill, not even close.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True, but any advantage this would bring would be nullified by the fact that Hillary on the ticket would energize the GOP like they've never been before.  Republican campaign officials' mouths must be watering thinking about the huge amounts of cash they would rake in if she runs.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 01:30:27 PM »

Actually, I think she'd actually do best against Guliani or a moderate who couldn't inspire the evangelicals.  But I don't think she's nearly as bad as Republicans think she is.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 02:35:19 PM »

At this extremely early time, I still think she's the best candidate the Democrats have. Fundraising, name recognition, a solid Senate record all work in her favor. Many of her scandals have already been aired during Bill's presidency. One thing, though, that many don't mention is the simple fact that she's a woman. Rightly or wrongly, this will play into whether she can be elected. Personally, I think a female president would be great if she was the right candidate, but I'm not so sure that America at large is ready for it. Perhaps we'll see.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 02:52:35 PM »

Personally, I think a Hillary candidacy is pretty inevitable, assuming she wins reelection in '06.

A)  She's got the liberal wing of the party under wraps.  Dean will be nice and happy as the DNC Chairman (and will do everything in his power to help her out).  Gore's gone beyond the point of no return...so who's left?  Russ Feingold?  Nope, she's got the liberal base.

B) She has the Clinton Machine (tm).  Yes, the Machine failed pretty miserably with Clark, but that was mainly Clark's fault, not the Clintons'.  Now they have a candidate who is obviously one of their own--so no mishaps here.  Plus the Machine (tm) ensures that some other Democrats who were helped out by the Machine [namely, Bill Richardson] don't run.

C) She's a Clinton.  The Democrats love Bill.  His campaigning may not always be the most effective on a national scale, but within his own party--the Democrats have very good memories of Clinton, who's their only truly successful politician in recent memory.  If she can evoke the Clinton memories, then she has a significant edge up over people like Warner and Bayh who will be running as moderate pseudo-Clintons.

There will be a large anti-Hillary campaign, of course, as many Democrats just don't like her, and, of course, the electability problem.  But unless they rally around one candidate, she'll have enough of a base to steamroll her way to the Convention.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 10:37:25 PM »

B) She has the Clinton Machine (tm).  Yes, the Machine failed pretty miserably with Clark, but that was mainly Clark's fault, not the Clintons'.  Now they have a candidate who is obviously one of their own--so no mishaps here.  Plus the Machine (tm) ensures that some other Democrats who were helped out by the Machine [namely, Bill Richardson] don't run.

I love Hillary; don't get me wrong.  And I love Bill even more, but, honestly, Bill only won because of Perot's entrance into the 1992 election and his role in the presidential debates.  And Bill won his second term because nothing TOO scandalous had happened in his first term.  So, just to let you know, there is no such thing as the Clinton Machine.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 10:40:26 PM »

I love Hillary; don't get me wrong.  And I love Bill even more, but, honestly, Bill only won because of Perot's entrance into the 1992 election and his role in the presidential debates.  And Bill won his second term because nothing TOO scandalous had happened in his first term.  So, just to let you know, there is no such thing as the Clinton Machine.

Finnaly a Democrat that understands
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 12:50:16 AM »

Like never before? That's a pretty strong statement. Actually very strong. Once again I suffer the sin of not being politically conscious pre-1998 and fail to understand why she is any more polarizing than any other Northeastern liberal. So, she supports universal health care. So do a lot of people.

Yes I hope she runs... and wins, though I wouldn't mind Bayh either
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 01:16:06 AM »

Wow, that's deep. Maybe we'll fight back next time.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 01:43:18 AM »

Like never before? That's a pretty strong statement. Actually very strong. Once again I suffer the sin of not being politically conscious pre-1998 and fail to understand why she is any more polarizing than any other Northeastern liberal. So, she supports universal health care. So do a lot of people.

Hillary is hated by the right because of what she symbolizes, not what she believes.  She is seen as a first lady that felt she was elected as co-President.  Couple this upending of traditional views of the first lady with a traditional view of the role of women and this explains conservative revulsion to Hillary Clinton.
khirkhib

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 03:36:27 AM »

Damn uppity woman.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 03:45:26 AM »

Hillary is hated by the right because of what she symbolizes, not what she believes.  She is seen as a first lady that felt she was elected as co-President.  Couple this upending of traditional views of the first lady with a traditional view of the role of women and this explains conservative revulsion to Hillary Clinton.

Ok. Then, you have to give libs in general credit for not being extremely revolted at Laura Bush. She does not seem to be a polarizing figure at all.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 01:55:16 AM »

Ok. Then, you have to give libs in general credit for not being extremely revolted at Laura Bush. She does not seem to be a polarizing figure at all.

Laura is very traditional and, unlike Hillary, doesn't pick fights with the opposition.  It's like apples and oranges to say liberals deserve credit for not disliking her.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 06:43:25 AM »

I like Hillary, and I think she'd make a good President, bu5t considering the depth in possible GOP candidates for 2008, I just can't see her winning next time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies