Freedom to Enjoy Oneself in Public Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:07:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Freedom to Enjoy Oneself in Public Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Freedom to Enjoy Oneself in Public Act (Law'd)  (Read 4055 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:35:52 PM »
« edited: February 05, 2011, 06:50:13 PM by Snowguy716 »

Sponsor:  Senator Lief

Freedom to Enjoy Oneself in Public Bill

1) This act shall apply only in the District of Columbia and federal territories that do not form a part of any region.

2) Possession of open containers of alcohol, the consumption of alcohol, and public intoxication by persons eighteen years of age or older in public open space and when riding on public transportation shall no longer be prohibited. All laws prohibiting the above are hereby repealed.

3) This act shall not be construed to allow possession of open containers of alcohol, the consumption of alcohol, or public intoxication in public buildings or in private vehicles.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »

I support this but I thought it might have to do with granting people the freedom to masturbate in public due to the title. Heh.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:37:28 AM »

Strongly support. Freedom legislation!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:39:02 AM »

Seems rather good, support.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »

I support this but I thought it might have to do with granting people the freedom to masturbate in public due to the title. Heh.

I had the same initial thought.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 02:36:21 PM »

I'll support this and hope the regions will also work to pass such a bill as well.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »

As a person in recovery from alcoholism, I have a difficult time supporting this.  Really people, we have establishments where people are free to drink- they are called bars.  And the bar will tell you to leave when you have had too much.  I should know, it has happened to me more than a few times.

Alcohol is a dangerous substance, which should be used responsibly by those who consume it.  This bill encourages irresponsible use, and I think does our citizens a disservice.  This bill would arguably benefit homeless alcoholics who have no place to go to do their drinking, and could turn DC into a mecca for such.  On the other hand, it would prevent them from being taken to detox or jail, where they might get a meal and a warm place to sleep.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »

As a person in recovery from alcoholism, I have a difficult time supporting this.  Really people, we have establishments where people are free to drink- they are called bars.  And the bar will tell you to leave when you have had too much.  I should know, it has happened to me more than a few times.

I don't quite understand how other people are harmed by someone next to them on the train having a beer if he wants.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »

The last time I rode on Amtrak, I had several drinks in the bar car.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »

I really don't understand.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »

I really don't understand.

My point was, drinking on a train is legal, as far as I know.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »

On the other hand, it would prevent them from being taken to detox or jail, where they might get a meal and a warm place to sleep.

I can't imagine that people are treated well in jail, even if it is for something relatively benign like drinking in public.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »

On the other hand, it would prevent them from being taken to detox or jail, where they might get a meal and a warm place to sleep.

I can't imagine that people are treated well in jail, even if it is for something relatively benign like drinking in public.

There's is nothing nice in landing in jail, boss.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »

If you had to spend the night outside, you might think differently.  But that's not even the point.  The point is, this protects the rights of homeless alcoholics to get drunk in public.  Is that really something we want to protect?

You have to be pretty hammered to get arrested for public drunkenness.  I've been arrested for driving drunk, but never just for being drunk, despite weaving my way down sidewalks, riding buses, and even talking to police.  I suppose I would have gotten arrested if I had an open bottle in my hand, and was drinking from it, but why would I need to do that?  That's what the bar is there for.  Most jurisdictions don't have a problem with beer in the park, I suppose it depends on the jurisdiction, and the park.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 06:45:27 PM »

While I respect your opinion on this and I support your efforts to stay sober, you have to realize that not everybody suffers from alcoholism, Fritz.

In fact, I'd say the vast majority of us don't. 

We should make legislation that helps alcoholics become and stay sober as well as get homeless people off the streets.  Denying people the right to have a drink in the street is not going to solve either of the two aforementioned problems.  It needlessly sends people to jail and costs us money.  I've lived in a country where public drunkenness and public drinking were not illegal... and there was no visible difference... other than people might have a beer with their picnic by the river on a nice spring day.

The second a drunk person has walked into a public building or accosted a passerby, they have committed a crime and can be charged for such.  But a person who has some beers and rides the bus home with a bit of a slur and the occasional stumble is not a danger to you or I and should not be treated as such.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 09:22:32 PM »

Assuming that either of the following statute, or a similar version, is currently in effect for DC and the territories:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2917.11  (see Paragraph B)

How would the repeal of public intoxication statutes as proposed here affect this statute?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:16 PM »

I think I already spoke to your point, Snowguy...I have been that drunk person on the bus, and I got in no legal trouble for it.  But I did my drinking in the bar, not on the street, or on the bus.  I have no problem with anyone having a beer by the river, and in most cases, neither does the law.  I think the restrictions that the law does place on where alcohol may be consumed, and how drunk a person may be in public, are reasonable.  They are certainly not excessive.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »

I think I already spoke to your point, Snowguy...I have been that drunk person on the bus, and I got in no legal trouble for it.  But I did my drinking in the bar, not on the street, or on the bus.  I have no problem with anyone having a beer by the river, and in most cases, neither does the law.  I think the restrictions that the law does place on where alcohol may be consumed, and how drunk a person may be in public, are reasonable.  They are certainly not excessive.

The law as it stands leaves a massive gray area and puts the interpretation of the law into the hands of the cops and not into the hands of the citizens.

Despite the law being laxly enforced for people "enjoying a beer by the river", some angry cop with a chip on his shoulder could immediately start causing trouble.

I think the law should be made clear.  And I think it should err on the side of giving people more personal freedom in this case.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 02:07:25 AM »

Again, HUGE difference between open container or public consumption and public intoxication.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 02:55:04 AM »

Considering we abolished the federal drinking age and left it to the regions, any chance we could strike the age requirements?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »

Isn't DC a part of the Mideast Region? This sort of decision should be left to the most local level possible.  Also I don't see anything in this bill to help alcoholics, and intoxicated and addicted people roaming the streets and parks is not exactly a draw for tourists or any business aside from liquor stores. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 02:10:44 PM »

Serious concerns about the language and scope here. Instead of replacing a "gray area" with a wide open door to all forms and extents, perhaps a specific exemption should be made with defined "standards" that provides safeguards against "excessive" intoxication in such venues and the resulting disorderly behavior.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »

My only concern for this would be people drinking and wandering out in public, potentially walking into streets and the like, putting themselves and others at risk. Otherwise, I don't have much of a problem with it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »

Considering we abolished the federal drinking age and left it to the regions, any chance we could strike the age requirements?

As far as I know, the federal government still sets the drinking age in DC and the territories, and we've set it at 18.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »

My only concern for this would be people drinking and wandering out in public, potentially walking into streets and the like, putting themselves and others at risk. Otherwise, I don't have much of a problem with it.

Don't people do that now?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies