How can I become American?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:47:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How can I become American?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How can I become American?  (Read 4431 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2004, 11:02:03 PM »

I will soon have a university degree, and hopefully have finished my actuary exams.  I'm 21 right now, and desperately want to get out of Soviet Canuckistan after graduation.  I looked over the INS website, but the only way I can see myself possibly getting a green card is through the lottery.  That is not a very good statistical probability.

Please someone, help this Canadian. :/
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 11:07:51 PM »

my cousin and his wife won a ghreen card. They were back within 9 months :S
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 11:08:40 PM »

I will soon have a university degree, and hopefully have finished my actuary exams.  I'm 21 right now, and desperately want to get out of Soviet Canuckistan after graduation.  I looked over the INS website, but the only way I can see myself possibly getting a green card is through the lottery.  That is not a very good statistical probability.

If you can find an American willing to marry you, you get a green card for doing so.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 11:13:50 PM »

I concur.  Hang out in the States until you find someone you want to marry.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 11:15:35 PM »

See, I don't just go there and pick someone...  It doesn't quite work that way.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 11:16:08 PM »

Well, you asked how you can become an American; that's the easiest way.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 11:19:38 PM »

We have like 12 times your population, you're more likely to find someone down here anyway Wink
Trilobyte

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 11:48:47 PM »

Why don't you just move to Alberta? They have a never-ending Conservative government there. In fact, they just won another majority as I am typing this...

I like liberal Canada just the way it is. Smiley I'm not going anywhere after university, at least not until Bush leaves office. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 11:49:31 PM »

We should only allow immigration from Alberta.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 12:05:38 AM »

you are correct.  don't buy into that bullsh**t you see on television.  It is an involved process which takes several years.  My wife started the process a week after we were married and we don't expect her to get her green card for another 2 years, at least.  There are probably easier ways, but I have no idea how.  I have never heard of this lottery of which you speak, but I'm intrigued.  Tell more.
danwxman

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 12:09:58 AM »

You're a Republican? Stay in Canada. Thanks.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 01:05:56 AM »

I concur. Hang out in the States until you find someone you want to marry.
See, I don't just go there and pick someone... It doesn't quite work that way.

you are correct. don't buy into that bullsh**t you see on television. It is an involved process which takes several years. My wife started the process a week after we were married and we don't expect her to get her green card for another 2 years, at least. There are probably easier ways, but I have no idea how. I have never heard of this lottery of which you speak, but I'm intrigued. Tell more.

The US government has tonnes and tonnes of popup ads on the internet saying "Win a green card! Your country: AUSTRALIA is eligible!"

then you have to fill out a form of income, marital circumstances, dependents, etc. and you go into the draw.

The ads piss me off, but the idea is good. They give away 50,000 a year; my cousin and his wife won one in 2002.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 01:38:02 AM »

Do what the Mexicans do. Dart the border and just stay here and leech off the system. Smiley Or just stay illegally.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 01:39:57 AM »

Why don't you just move to Alberta? They have a never-ending Conservative government there. In fact, they just won another majority as I am typing this...

Good point.  Ralph Klein is basically Premier-for-Life over there.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 08:41:18 AM »

Hilarious, I've just been reading how thousands of liberal Americans are asking how they can do the exact opposite and move to Canada!! Smiley
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 08:53:55 AM »

Contact a large American insurance company (actuaries are in demand) and see if they cann't get you a green card.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 02:37:53 PM »

I think Alberta should be admitted into the union.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2004, 04:42:56 PM »

Why not move to a first world country where you can make decent money in a hard currency *and* get 6 to 8 weeks of vacation per year?
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 07:06:46 PM »

Which would, amazingly as it seems, give you another solid Democratic state.  According to polls done before the election,  a reasonable majority of Albertans would've voted for Kerry. Oddly, the Maritimes were the most pro-Bush, although I imagine they'd also get screwed over the most by tax cuts and such.

Anyway, if I were to move out of Canada, it would almost certainly be for the mother country. I have a great deal of close family in Britain, which would be a bonus. I imagine I'd like Australia or New Zealand fine though. Wouldn't go anywhere outside a Commonwealth Realm though.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 07:09:09 PM »

^ That's because it's Canada. If they were American, they'd support Bush because they're conservative in ideology.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 09:20:29 PM »

^ That's because it's Canada. If they were American, they'd support Bush because they're conservative in ideology.

That's because it's still Canada. Conservative in Canada is moderate in the U.S., I guess.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 09:22:07 PM »

yep.

Center of canadian politics equals the mild left of UK politics. center of UK politics equals the mild left of aussie politics. Center of Aussie politics equals the medium right of US politics.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 09:25:43 PM »

Which would, amazingly as it seems, give you another solid Democratic state.  According to polls done before the election,  a reasonable majority of Albertans would've voted for Kerry. Oddly, the Maritimes were the most pro-Bush, although I imagine they'd also get screwed over the most by tax cuts and such.

Anyway, if I were to move out of Canada, it would almost certainly be for the mother country. I have a great deal of close family in Britain, which would be a bonus. I imagine I'd like Australia or New Zealand fine though. Wouldn't go anywhere outside a Commonwealth Realm though.
You'd be suprised by how many British links we have down here. We still follow the British monarchs rather closely and we have entire newsmagazine programs that have entire episodes about their lives. We have alot of British tradition in the US even if were not a Commonwealth country.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 09:31:41 PM »

I'm happy the US isn't in the commonwealth; It means we win about half the medals at the commonwealth games. I'm predicting 2/3 of the golds at Melbourne 2006 Wink
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 10:45:41 PM »

Why not move to a first world country where you can make decent money in a hard currency *and* get 6 to 8 weeks of vacation per year?

Because I'm not a lazy person and I believe in working in order to make a living.

Yes, actuaries are in demand.  I'm guessing that is probably the way to go at this time.  Find a company that wants to hire an actuary, and get them to talk to the INS.

One day I'm going to make a long post here explaining why Canada is such a hell hole of a nanny state.  A nice country to live in relatively speaking (90% of the world is crap), but I feel much more in line with the conservative Republicans than with the rest of dem.  I can get along with some moderate Republicans, but anything left of that are a bunch of commies.

You should make me president:

- phase out of all the New Deal crap, gradually (including social security, medicare, minimum wages, etc.)
- closing down the federal reserve
- paying off the debt
- closing 95% of the federal government (including homeland security)
- eliminating income tax
- abolishing 16th amendment
- abolishing 17th amendment
- withdraw from the Useless Nations
- abolish this war on drugs
- increase spending on the military
- bring back the gold and silver standard
- prohibit Congress from regulating guns, as it does NOT relate to interstate commerce

I'll be a good president. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies