Same-Sex Marriage Bill Falls Short in Maryland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:40:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Same-Sex Marriage Bill Falls Short in Maryland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Same-Sex Marriage Bill Falls Short in Maryland  (Read 11031 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »

Also, blacks in the DC suburbs are more socially liberal than blacks in California. There was a poll a few years ago that indicated that indicated a plurality of blacks in DC would vote for marriage equality.

Plurality, eh?

Compared to blacks in most states, this is saying a lot.

If it's for or against, a plurality is a minority, no?

I'm guessing he meant a plurality supported gay marriage given the options gay marriage, civil union or neither.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

Also, blacks in the DC suburbs are more socially liberal than blacks in California. There was a poll a few years ago that indicated that indicated a plurality of blacks in DC would vote for marriage equality.

Plurality, eh?

Compared to blacks in most states, this is saying a lot.

If it's for or against, a plurality is a minority, no?

I'm guessing he meant a plurality supported gay marriage given the options gay marriage, civil union or neither.

Or there were some undecideds (e.g., 49 in favor, 46 opposed).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »

The bill was sent back to committee as there were apparently not enough votes. Hopefully throughout the year some of these delegates will stop being bullied around by the churches and do the right thing.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »

The bill was sent back to committee as there were apparently not enough votes. Hopefully throughout the year some of these delegates will stop being bullied around by the churches and do the right thing.

Disgusting
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2011, 03:53:54 PM by Sheliak5 »

Disgusting

It is, very much so. Especially because some of the delegates i.e. Tiffany Alston CLEARLY support gay marriage, but are scared to vote that way because they fear their "constituents" aka the church would primary them out.

I expected a lot more of my home state. I thought we were better than this. I still plan on moving back when I'm done with school, though.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2011, 06:14:18 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2011, 07:00:50 PM by Frodo »

It says a lot when even states as liberal and Democratic as California, New York, and Maryland have hangups about legalizing gay marriage.  I confess I was a little surprised to see that this bill (before it was ultimately withdrawn) was having even more trouble in the Maryland House of Delegates than in the supposedly more conservative Senate.  
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »

It says a lot when even states as liberal and Democratic as California, New York, and Maryland have hangups about legalizing gay marriage.  I confess I was a little surprised to see that this bill (before it was ultimately withdrawn) was having even more trouble in the Maryland House of Delegates than in the supposedly more conservative Senate.  

The Democrats lost 6 seats in the House of Delegates last year, and I think they actually gained a seat in the State Senate, so those changes may have resulted in the House of Delegates not being the more liberal body anymore.  Regardless, way too many Democrats against this. 
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2011, 10:03:45 PM »

Why is anyone surprised? Minorities are generally not socially liberal, especially when it comes to the gays.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »

Why is anyone surprised? Minorities are generally not socially liberal, especially when it comes to the gays.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2011, 10:20:05 PM »

relocate the political sphere away away from the economic sphere
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »

About a third of the Democrats opposed it.  Ouch.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2011, 11:07:06 PM »

Where any white Democrats from Obama districts? They have absolutely no excuse.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2011, 11:33:53 PM »

Surprising and very disappointing.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »

Disgusting

Not disgusting. The right thing to do is keep it banned until we can remove government from marriage.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »

I haven't seen a list of which Democrats opposed it. From what I've heard, it's mostly the rural Democrats and the black Democrats from PG County.

It doesn't really matter, ultimately, since the law would go on hold until 2012 if the anti-marriage equality forces got enough signatures for a referendum. Assuming they can actually pass it next year.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »

In an election year? No. But they'll have no qualms taking gay money, though.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »

The legislature isn't up until 2014.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »

In an election year? No. But they'll have no qualms taking gay money, though.

Which hopefully will dry up...
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »

I haven't seen a list of which Democrats opposed it. From what I've heard, it's mostly the rural Democrats and the black Democrats from PG County.

It doesn't really matter, ultimately, since the law would go on hold until 2012 if the anti-marriage equality forces got enough signatures for a referendum. Assuming they can actually pass it next year.

Yep. Virtually all of the black democrats from Baltimore supported it, PG county virtually none did. I'm still VERY surprised at that and still not sure why. The white Dems who voted against it were those from the eastern shore, rural areas as said.

IIRC there were ironicaly one or two Republicans that supported. From Howard county I'd guess, maybe Montgomery county if they have any Republicans left there (which I doubt).
Dgov
United States

« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »

Yep. Virtually all of the black democrats from Baltimore supported it, PG county virtually none did. I'm still VERY surprised at that and still not sure why. The white Dems who voted against it were those from the eastern shore, rural areas as said.

Maybe PG County is functioning like White Southern Suburbs?  I.E. Heavily Socially Conservative and willing to vote it, while the Baltimore ones only really care about economic issues and so just voted yes because its a party issue?

Thats the only explanation that i can think of.  But It'll almost certainly get passed in 2012 once the decennial removing of Republican districts commences.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »

Maybe PG County is functioning like White Southern Suburbs?  I.E. Heavily Socially Conservative and willing to vote it, while the Baltimore ones only really care about economic issues and so just voted yes because its a party issue?

Thats the only explanation that i can think of.  But It'll almost certainly get passed in 2012 once the decennial removing of Republican districts commences.

PG County you would tend to think is quites socially liberal.  Generally much higher education levels in PG County than Baltimore, higher incomes, etc.  Support for gay marriage often goes hand and hand with education levels.  This is just odd.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »

1. Legislators expect this to go to a referendum in 2012 and get repealed, which is why some probably saw no point in going through with it.

2. PG is where the leader opposed to marriage equality in DC was based.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »

Presumably the black religious structure came out against gay marriage in PG County, while it did not in Baltimore...?
Dgov
United States

« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »

PG County you would tend to think is quites socially liberal.  Generally much higher education levels in PG County than Baltimore, higher incomes, etc.  Support for gay marriage often goes hand and hand with education levels.  This is just odd.

No, that's what I was saying--In the South Higher Education levels and Higher incomes really have no effect whatsoever on Social views (with some exceptions).  Rich Suburbanites in Forysth County are just as Socially Conservative as Poor Whites in North Georgia, and there might be a similar effect.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2011, 06:49:20 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 07:07:31 PM by JohnnyLongtorso »

Thats the only explanation that i can think of.  But It'll almost certainly get passed in 2012 once the decennial removing of Republican districts commences.

Maryland's state legislative districts are actually pretty fair, from a pure numbers perspective. O'Malley won 27 Senate districts (57.4%) and 80 (counting by number of members) House of Delegates districts (56.7%). That's almost exactly what his statewide percentage was, and that's with a bunch of 80-90% Democratic districts in Baltimore and PG County. (Edited to correct the Senate numbers.)

The legislature's numbers is so lopsided because there are 8 Democratic Senators and 18 Democratic Delegates in districts that Ehrlich won, and zero Republicans in O'Malley districts. (Edit: I take that back, there's one Republican Delegate in an O'Malley district, 3A. And undercounted the Dem Senators by 1.)

Also, the legislature isn't up again until 2014, as I said about ten posts ago.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies