Our French Superiors (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:17:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Our French Superiors (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Our French Superiors  (Read 5774 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: November 22, 2004, 03:36:56 PM »

After having watched this I can say with certainty that the French have no right to criticize our actions in Iraq until they improve themselves. The linked video is the result of French troops opening fire on what I see to be a group of Ivorian civilians, probably protestors, who are not causing trouble. The file is large, so it will take you a while to download. It is quite disturbing, so I wouldn't watch it if you have a weak stomach.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 05:43:16 PM »

The French have never been more moral and they haven't really claimed to be either (I mean, they've said it but they didn't really expect anyone to believe it).

They've always done what's in their interest with no trace of morals.

As does everyone, in the end.

What's great about the French is they do it while eating better and with less sexual prudery.

What's worse - sexual prudery or arrogance? They tend to have a holier than thou attitude matched by very few people.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 07:58:57 PM »

The French have never been more moral and they haven't really claimed to be either (I mean, they've said it but they didn't really expect anyone to believe it).

They've always done what's in their interest with no trace of morals.

As does everyone, in the end.

What's great about the French is they do it while eating better and with less sexual prudery.

Smiley

Welcome to the forum Julien. If you've watched the video, I'm curious as to your opinion on it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 08:25:33 PM »

Thank you for welcoming me.

I didn't watch it, it was taking a long time to download. With what I understand from your post the soldiers did the wrong thing. I think that perhaps they thought they were in danger or they might have thought that there was a guerilla in the crowd. We don't know because we were not there.

I also don't criticise the U.S. soldiers in combat in Iraq. I assume most of the American soldiers there are not bad people. They are under a lot of stress.

Good opinion. Your countrymen could learn from such an open minded thinker like yourself.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 09:58:45 PM »

Ok, how many of the people here have actually met a lot of french people?  And how many of you are just basing all your opinions off popular opinion?

I can not say I have personally met any French people. However, I do know a number of people who have, and at least one who as actually been to France(my mother) - the descriptions I've been given by all these people are the stereotype, the French are rude, arrogant, and think they are better than everyone else. Stereotypes may be rude, and I don't use them when talking to individuals, but they exist because they are to an extent true.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 10:11:26 PM »

The steryotypes aren't true.

I lived in France, for a total of about half a year. I don't think the people who invented Freedom Fries can compare to that.

Where in France did you live?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 10:28:05 PM »

I have met many tourists and have gone out of my way to be as nice as possible to them.

I think the stereotypes of the French are true to some extent. Many French people don't like foreigers.

As I said, the French need more like you. A lot of Europeans who come to the U.S. are just amazed at how polite we are. I think it's our consumer culture - make the customer happy and your business will prosper, and everyone is a potential customer, so it's best to be polite to everyone. Wink
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 06:12:44 AM »

I lived in Nancy, Lorraine.

The steryotypes do apply to Paris. It is not a friendly environment at all.

I kind of figured. Paris is where most Americans go when they visit France, so it's inevitably where the stereotype evolved.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »

The rudeness thing isn't unique to France. Europe is generally much more rude full stop. Certainly in Canada and the US people are far more polite than they are in the UK, Italy or France. In actual fact, I'd say the people in Rome and Milan win hands down when it comes to sheer ignorance, arrogance and general rudeness. If you go to Milan expect to be treated like dirt in shops, bars and restaurants.

I read this article recently, came upon it by chance: They're so bloody polite
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 08:03:46 AM »

Conservatives in Europe are more libertarian than anything.

Too bad Europe doesn't have more of them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies