Our French Superiors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:17:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Our French Superiors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Our French Superiors  (Read 5716 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2004, 03:36:56 PM »

After having watched this I can say with certainty that the French have no right to criticize our actions in Iraq until they improve themselves. The linked video is the result of French troops opening fire on what I see to be a group of Ivorian civilians, probably protestors, who are not causing trouble. The file is large, so it will take you a while to download. It is quite disturbing, so I wouldn't watch it if you have a weak stomach.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 04:16:14 PM »

The French have never been more moral and they haven't really claimed to be either (I mean, they've said it but they didn't really expect anyone to believe it).

They've always done what's in their interest with no trace of morals.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 05:29:26 PM »

The French have never been more moral and they haven't really claimed to be either (I mean, they've said it but they didn't really expect anyone to believe it).

As does everyone, in the end.

What's great about the French is they do it while eating better and with less sexual prudery.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 05:43:16 PM »

What's great about the French is they do it while eating better and with less sexual prudery.

What's worse - sexual prudery or arrogance? They tend to have a holier than thou attitude matched by very few people.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:48:38 PM »

They tend to have a holier than thou attitude matched by very few people.

But they're French, so it's okay. Smiley
Julien
Squidward
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 05:57:44 PM »

Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 06:03:39 PM »

[

Ah, the French pretty much equate better eating with less sexual prudery.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 07:50:13 PM »

Smiley

Hey, sweet, a French guy.  It's about time! Tongue  I've long noticed that France is the one major European country (save maybe Spain; I can't remember) that doesn't have any representatives on this board.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 07:58:57 PM »

Smiley

Welcome to the forum Julien. If you've watched the video, I'm curious as to your opinion on it.
Julien
Squidward
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 08:17:23 PM »

Smiley

Welcome to the forum Julien. If you've watched the video, I'm curious as to your opinion on it.

Thank you for welcoming me.

I didn't watch it, it was taking a long time to download. With what I understand from your post the soldiers did the wrong thing. I think that perhaps they thought they were in danger or they might have thought that there was a guerilla in the crowd. We don't know because we were not there.

I also don't criticise the U.S. soldiers in combat in Iraq. I assume most of the American soldiers there are not bad people. They are under a lot of stress.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 08:25:33 PM »

Thank you for welcoming me.

I didn't watch it, it was taking a long time to download. With what I understand from your post the soldiers did the wrong thing. I think that perhaps they thought they were in danger or they might have thought that there was a guerilla in the crowd. We don't know because we were not there.

I also don't criticise the U.S. soldiers in combat in Iraq. I assume most of the American soldiers there are not bad people. They are under a lot of stress.

Good opinion. Your countrymen could learn from such an open minded thinker like yourself.
Confabulator
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 09:05:07 PM »

Ok, how many of the people here have actually met a lot of french people?  And how many of you are just basing all your opinions off popular opinion?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 09:58:45 PM »

Ok, how many of the people here have actually met a lot of french people?  And how many of you are just basing all your opinions off popular opinion?

I can not say I have personally met any French people. However, I do know a number of people who have, and at least one who as actually been to France(my mother) - the descriptions I've been given by all these people are the stereotype, the French are rude, arrogant, and think they are better than everyone else. Stereotypes may be rude, and I don't use them when talking to individuals, but they exist because they are to an extent true.
Cashcow

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 10:05:20 PM »

The steryotypes aren't true.

I lived in France, for a total of about half a year. I don't think the people who invented Freedom Fries can compare to that.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 10:11:26 PM »

The steryotypes aren't true.

I lived in France, for a total of about half a year. I don't think the people who invented Freedom Fries can compare to that.

Where in France did you live?
Julien
Squidward
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 10:18:48 PM »

I have met many tourists and have gone out of my way to be as nice as possible to them.

I think the stereotypes of the French are true to some extent. Many French people don't like foreigers.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 10:28:05 PM »

I have met many tourists and have gone out of my way to be as nice as possible to them.

I think the stereotypes of the French are true to some extent. Many French people don't like foreigers.

As I said, the French need more like you. A lot of Europeans who come to the U.S. are just amazed at how polite we are. I think it's our consumer culture - make the customer happy and your business will prosper, and everyone is a potential customer, so it's best to be polite to everyone. Wink
Julien
Squidward
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 10:36:26 PM »

I think it's our consumer culture - make the customer happy and your business will prosper, and everyone is a potential customer, so it's best to be polite to everyone. Wink

I agree, I wish France was more consumer oriented. You'll never hear a store clerk tell you to have a good day here.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 10:40:18 PM »

Too bad.  Now some certain board members can't make broad stereotypes about every single French person in existence anymore. Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 10:53:13 PM »

I think it's our consumer culture - make the customer happy and your business will prosper, and everyone is a potential customer, so it's best to be polite to everyone. Wink

I agree, I wish France was more consumer oriented. You'll never hear a store clerk tell you to have a good day here.

It's rare for a store clerk NOT to here.
Cashcow

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 11:19:53 PM »

I lived in Nancy, Lorraine.

The steryotypes do apply to Paris. It is not a friendly environment at all.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 11:32:23 PM »

Video-Sad. Shocking/Appalling/Disgusting, but maybe necessary.

Also, I know a few frencies, and they're a little arrogant, for sure. But that might be a scewed sample, they ARE all teachers. Smiley

In McDona;lds they say have a nice day. We just puke. We're freidnly people here, but "Have A Nice Day" is so American that I don't actually know anyone who likes to hear it-also, because it is compulsory, it hurts. It's more us saying G'day when we walk up to the counter, thank you to the salesperson when we pay, and them saying "Thanks mate"-but it changes. "Have A Nice Day" is just so...I'm not anti-american, but it just doesn't sit comfortably with me at all.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 11:40:13 PM »

As a completely random aside, I find it funny how the stereotypes for Canada and France are complete opposites.  Their problem is being too snooty and arrogant.  Our problem is being way too polite and humble for our own good. Smiley

Not that I'm complaining.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 01:24:58 AM »

As a completely random aside, I find it funny how the stereotypes for Canada and France are complete opposites.  Their problem is being too snooty and arrogant.  Our problem is being way too polite and humble for our own good. Smiley

Not that I'm complaining.

Quebecois have the same French stereotype though.  I think we should call them Quebeckers though.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 06:12:44 AM »

I lived in Nancy, Lorraine.

The steryotypes do apply to Paris. It is not a friendly environment at all.

I kind of figured. Paris is where most Americans go when they visit France, so it's inevitably where the stereotype evolved.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies