Conservatives, what is your most liberal aspect(s)? & vice versa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:44:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Conservatives, what is your most liberal aspect(s)? & vice versa
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: Conservatives, what is your most liberal aspect(s)? & vice versa  (Read 75493 times)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2004, 04:56:32 PM »

I'm a very Conservative Democrat.  Two of my most Conservative aspects are that
1. I am staunchly pro-life, and
2. I am staunchly pro-school vouchers.
Anyone else?
CTguy

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 05:08:55 PM »

My most conservative attribute is:

1. I want the size of government scaled down.
2. I don't like labor unions - I support free trade.
3. I want my taxes cut.
4. I don't support affirmative action as it is now.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 05:10:49 PM »

1) I'm pro-civil unions and not nessesarily anti-gay marriage.

2) This isn't nessesary 'Liberal', but unlike a lot of conservatives I'm not staunchly against social programs, on the contrary I'm in favor of them when I see that they can do some serious good.  i just think that we should keep a really close eye on them to make sure they aren't abused and we should have anti-dependence mechanisims.

3) I, like many conservatives believe in a Reaganesque foriegn policy.  Unlike many convervatives I believe that Reagan would be very much in favor of operation such as Kosovo and Bosnia.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 05:25:06 PM »

Nice to see another Dem favouring school vouchers. My conservative issues:

1. Pro-school vouchers.

2. Fiscally conservative.

3. Favour free trade, scepytical towards unions.

4. Distrusts government and want it to remain small.

5. Believe in a fairly tough foreign policy, supported the Iraq War.

6. Think it's important with personal resonsibility and think people shouldn't be able to run away from it.

7. Thinks goverment has a moral obligation to keep away from people's lives, both on social issues and economic ones.

8. Think it's vital to uphold law and order, be tough on criminals, harsh punishments, etc.

9. Undecided on abortion, moderately leaning against capital punishment.

10. Dislikes France... Wink
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 05:27:09 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2004, 05:27:34 PM by supersoulty »

1. Pro-school vouchers.

6. Think it's important with personal resonsibility and think people shouldn't be able to run away from it.

7. Thinks goverment has a moral obligation to keep away from people's lives, both on social issues and economic ones.

8. Think it's vital to uphold law and order, be tough on criminals, harsh punishments, etc.

So once again, why are you sporting the Red avatar, Gus?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 05:29:13 PM »

1. Pro-school vouchers.

The conservatives scare me more than the liberals...I can live being in the same party as most of the Dem posters, but being in the same party as PD, Brambilla, StatesRights, Opebo, etc gives me the shudders. I support gay rights and I'm not American, remember? Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 05:31:58 PM »

1. Pro-school vouchers.

The conservatives scare me more than the liberals...I can live being in the same party as most of the Dem posters, but being in the same party as PD, Brambilla, StatesRights, Opebo, etc gives me the shudders. I support gay rights and I'm not American, remember? Smiley

I know you aren't an American and I know you support gay rights and I know that some of those guys are scarey at times, but don't think of it as their party, think of it as Supersoulty's party.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 05:36:42 PM »

1. Pro-school vouchers.

I know you aren't an American and I know you support gay rights and I know that some of those guys are scarey at times, but don't think of it as their party, think of it as Supersoulty's party.

LOL! What a brain-washing attempt! 'It's Supersoulty's party...they're all nice...' Smiley You know, it almost worked, b/c I do like you...but it didn't remove the image of 'gay people are mentally disordered'-posts which is all to fresh...and due to my background I don't want to leave poor people to die just b/c they didn't succeed in life. But if the green avatar wasn't so damn ugly I might use that instead...but I have to choose one colour and right now I'm fine with this...but I might change it in the future of course...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 05:43:49 PM »

1. Pro-school vouchers.

LOL! What a brain-washing attempt! 'It's Supersoulty's party...they're all nice...' Smiley You know, it almost worked, b/c I do like you...but it didn't remove the image of 'gay people are mentally disordered'-posts which is all to fresh...and due to my background I don't want to leave poor people to die just b/c they didn't succeed in life. But if the green avatar wasn't so damn ugly I might use that instead...but I have to choose one colour and right now I'm fine with this...but I might change it in the future of course...

Who's for all of that.  I certainly am not and I think that most reps., though socially most Reps on here are conservative, I think that economically they are less so.  At anyrate, there are extremists in the other party too.  You could just try on the blue for a while and see how you like it.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 05:44:55 PM »

Acctually a large majority of people on this site are fairy extreme to one end or the other.  There aren't many flaming moderates out there who are into politics the way we are.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 05:46:18 PM »

1. Pro-school vouchers.

Thanks for the compliments by the way I like you as well.  Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2004, 05:46:34 PM »

1. Pro-school vouchers.

Who's for all of that.  I certainly am not and I think that most reps., though socially most Reps on here are conservative, I think that economically they are less so.  At anyrate, there are extremists in the other party too.  You could just try on the blue for a while and see how you like it.  Smiley

I did that before...it's a nice colour... :/]

And yes, there are certainly extremists in the Dem party as well, and I disagree with them rather a lot, but they don't SCARE me as much as the Republican extremists...but as I said before, if there was a centrist patry I'd probably join that one...
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 05:46:55 PM »

Well lets see…I would say that I’m fairly moderate on most issues…

I believe in a small, low cost federal government…with the onus placed on state government for things like welfare etc…

I support the idea of American Internationalism in that America should work aggressive to promote and export democracy across the world…

I support the notion of involving faith groups in welfare programs…not replacing the federal government but assisting as private companies do and should…however I would quibble with ultra-conservative groups being so involved…

On cultural issues such as gay marriage and abortion…I’m probably on the right of the party I pretty much share the views of Evan Bayh…while I’m personally opposed under most circumstances (of course instances of rape, incest, danger to the mothers’ health or the risk that the child would be horrifically handicapped I would support the mothers right to decided on the fate of HER child)….on euthanasia I think that a civilised society should leave open to its citizens the right to end their lives so long as they are themselves of sane mind or there instructions (in the case of “living wills”) where given when they where of sane mind in the presence of reputable witnesses…on gay marriage I have mixed feelings, on the one hand I think that gay people are as capable of having loving and rewarding relationships as straight couples and as such should have the same legal rights as heterosexual couples however the idea of recognising these relationships as on a par with what I see as a far more desirable heterosexual relationships worries me, as I think that the only environment where children should be brought up is within a family that consists of a man and a women in a loving relationship and I think that society should encourage that and by legalising gay marriage I think we are not…as I said I have mixed views….

But hey I’m starting to ramble…                  
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2004, 05:48:28 PM »

I don't think I'm liberal on anything now that I think about it.  Libertarian on some, but not liberal.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2004, 05:49:08 PM »

Well lets see…I would say that I’m fairly moderate on most issues…

I believe in a small, low cost federal government…with the onus placed on state government for things like welfare etc…

I support the idea of American Internationalism in that America should work aggressive to promote and export democracy across the world…

I support the notion of involving faith groups in welfare programs…not replacing the federal government but assisting as private companies do and should…however I would quibble with ultra-conservative groups being so involved…

On cultural issues such as gay marriage and abortion…I’m probably on the right of the party I pretty much share the views of Evan Bayh…while I’m personally opposed under most circumstances (of course instances of rape, incest, danger to the mothers’ health or the risk that the child would be horrifically handicapped I would support the mothers right to decided on the fate of HER child)….on euthanasia I think that a civilised society should leave open to its citizens the right to end their lives so long as they are themselves of sane mind or there instructions (in the case of “living wills”) where given when they where of sane mind in the presence of reputable witnesses…on gay marriage I have mixed feelings, on the one hand I think that gay people are as capable of having loving and rewarding relationships as straight couples and as such should have the same legal rights as heterosexual couples however the idea of recognising these relationships as on a par with what I see as a far more desirable heterosexual relationships worries me, as I think that the only environment where children should be brought up is within a family that consists of a man and a women in a loving relationship and I think that society should encourage that and by legalising gay marriage I think we are not…as I said I have mixed views….

But hey I’m starting to ramble…                  

I think we're pretty close to each other, I'm close to oyu on those social issues.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2004, 05:53:43 PM »

1. Pro-school vouchers.

And yes, there are certainly extremists in the Dem party as well, and I disagree with them rather a lot, but they don't SCARE me as much as the Republican extremists...but as I said before, if there was a centrist patry I'd probably join that one...

We may have one of those soon.  At least for the Fantasy Elections.  Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2004, 05:54:39 PM »

1. Pro-school vouchers.

We may have one of those soon.  At least for the Fantasy Elections.  Wink

That'd be awesome! Smiley
CTguy

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2004, 06:24:38 PM »

I think it's funny to hear people say that we shouldn't legalize gay marriage because society should promote child-rearing with a man and a woman...

Maybe we should illegalize divorce and having children out of wedlock then.  Since the VAST majority of children will be impacted by this phenomenon and not by a bunch of gays who want to get married.  

I think I read somewhere that half the children adopted in this country are by gays...  If that's true, where are all these children going to go...  I'm sure Pat Robertson isn't going to adopt them all... he's too busy trying to sell his crap to people who are too dumb to breathe without instructions...  
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2004, 06:37:01 PM »

My most liberal stance on an issue is...... ::drum roll::

I'm against the death penalty.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2004, 06:38:36 PM »

I think it's funny to hear people say that we shouldn't legalize gay marriage because society should promote child-rearing with a man and a woman...

Maybe we should illegalize divorce and having children out of wedlock then.  Since the VAST majority of children will be impacted by this phenomenon and not by a bunch of gays who want to get married.  

I think I read somewhere that half the children adopted in this country are by gays...  If that's true, where are all these children going to go...  I'm sure Pat Robertson isn't going to adopt them all... he's too busy trying to sell his crap to people who are too dumb to breathe without instructions...  

What does this have to do with the topic? And I doubt that that adoption number is true, it was legalized recentrly in Sweden and the number of interested people was very low.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2004, 06:40:57 PM »

im strongly opposed to the death penalty.

im also fairly liberal on most civil rights issues.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2004, 06:42:15 PM »

This is not a liberal position, and it is one that you and I share, along with only about 20% of all Republicans and 35% of all Democrats.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2004, 06:43:43 PM »

This is not a liberal position, and it is one that you and I share, along with only about 20% of all Republicans and 35% of all Democrats.  

It seems liberal to me?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2004, 06:49:20 PM »

I have to admit I have a little trouble with this.  I keep thinking about the terms Left and Right.  Which we get from France.  (I have no problems with the most of the French people whom I've met.)  The aristocracy sat to the right (droit) of the king and the unwashed masses sat to the left (gauche) of the king.  So, if you're poor you probably support socialized medicine, etc.  If you're rich, you probably say, "let them eat cake."  But, on non-economic issues, how do we define liberal?  Can you give me a succint definition, so that I might consider whether my positions on non-economic issues are 'liberal' or 'conservative'.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2004, 06:50:53 PM »

I'm pretty liberal on most issues, especially economic ones.  Where I agree with conservatives:

1.) I supported the war in Iraq, albeit for humanitarian reasons.

2.) I'm strongly pro-law enforcement.  I believe we should be diligent in prosecuting even minor crimes, like Giuliani did in NYC.  People may be born poor (which I believe is a massive injustice), but they are not born criminals, they choose to become criminals.  (I am against the death penalty, but not really on moral grounds.)

3.) I think that liberal rhetoric is often insulting to people who base their politics on religious faith.  I think moral and religious values should have a greater place in public debate.  For instance, on abortion, I am personally pro-choice, but I don't think you can counter an "abortion is murder" argument with "right to privacy" argument.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies