Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:27:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75959 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: January 14, 2011, 05:35:53 PM »

Holy crap. Wouldn't want to be Sarah Palin this month...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #751 on: January 14, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »

her website has been updated

http://www.giffordsforcongress.com/
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #752 on: January 15, 2011, 12:11:17 AM »

Here is a profile of Giffords in the NY Times.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #753 on: January 15, 2011, 12:26:19 PM »

I think it should be played on TV......a LOT.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #754 on: January 15, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2011, 04:58:35 PM by anvikshiki »

Yeah, even my Republican friends on FB who were feeling angry and frustrated at the debate this week were praising Obama's speech. Glad to see it hit the right notes.

A turning point in his presidency.
I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.  I gave praise for his speech too, but that doesn't change the fact that he is hurting the country.  It doesn't change our unemployment level and it doesn't change the fact he passed healthcare.  It's sick that you and particularly the guys at the Politico want to trump up this meme that a memorial service can change things for Obama.  It really shows what bad shape you guys are in if he's in desperate need of a massacre to bring his poll numbers up.

I don't think the speech does or will represent a turning point in Obama's presidency; I think, however it pans out, the midterms will be considered a turning point.  But, while it's certainly not the case that a single speech on any occasion gets a president reelected, it does matter whether the country likes the president, and finds him inspiring and/or optimistic.  Right before the 2004 election, according to Gallop, Bush's job approval numbers stood at 44% approval and 46% disapproval, and people were not happy about the economy (though it was hardly as bad as it is now).  Still, Americans personally did not dislike president Bush; they certainly felt more comfortable with him as a person than they did with the stiff-as-a-board Kerry.  I think the concerns of the country with national security, to a lesser extent "moral values", and personal comfort and likability, along with an outstanding Rove GOTV operation, were contributory factors in getting Bush reelected.  In close races, and I take it for granted that 2012 will be a closely contested race, likability matters; it's not decisive by itself by any means, but it matters.  Emotions are important to people walking into a voting booth who are on the fence, and, as Drew Westen wisely points out; "if you don't win the heart first, the mind won't follow."  Uplifting, comforting and hopeful speeches in times of crisis help presidents, no matter what their party.  And they should.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #755 on: January 15, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »

I don't think the speech does or will represent a turning point in Obama's presidency;

I think the shooting was the turning point.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #756 on: January 15, 2011, 11:11:49 PM »

Awful as this shooting was, I find it unseemly that this is getting so much attention, while the far larger problem of gun violence to people who aren't members of Congress is so ignored outside of sensational local news accounts.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #757 on: January 16, 2011, 09:28:19 AM »

You know you're having a bad news cycle when...

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #758 on: January 16, 2011, 11:10:47 AM »

Yeah, even my Republican friends on FB who were feeling angry and frustrated at the debate this week were praising Obama's speech. Glad to see it hit the right notes.

A turning point in his presidency.
I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.  I gave praise for his speech too, but that doesn't change the fact that he is hurting the country.  It doesn't change our unemployment level and it doesn't change the fact he passed healthcare.  It's sick that you and particularly the guys at the Politico want to trump up this meme that a memorial service can change things for Obama.  It really shows what bad shape you guys are in if he's in desperate need of a massacre to bring his poll numbers up.

I don't think the speech does or will represent a turning point in Obama's presidency; I think, however it pans out, the midterms will be considered a turning point.  But, while it's certainly not the case that a single speech on any occasion gets a president reelected, it does matter whether the country likes the president, and finds him inspiring and/or optimistic.  Right before the 2004 election, according to Gallop, Bush's job approval numbers stood at 44% approval and 46% disapproval, and people were not happy about the economy (though it was hardly as bad as it is now).  Still, Americans personally did not dislike president Bush; they certainly felt more comfortable with him as a person than they did with the stiff-as-a-board Kerry.  I think the concerns of the country with national security, to a lesser extent "moral values", and personal comfort and likability, along with an outstanding Rove GOTV operation, were contributory factors in getting Bush reelected.  In close races, and I take it for granted that 2012 will be a closely contested race, likability matters; it's not decisive by itself by any means, but it matters.  Emotions are important to people walking into a voting booth who are on the fence, and, as Drew Westen wisely points out; "if you don't win the heart first, the mind won't follow."  Uplifting, comforting and hopeful speeches in times of crisis help presidents, no matter what their party.  And they should.

Also, keep in mind that Bush II's unpopularity started its descent when he handled the Katrina situation so insensitively.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #759 on: January 16, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »

Her condidtion has been updgraded to "serious".
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #760 on: January 16, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2011, 07:06:57 PM by MK ULTRA »

What? Really?

EDIT: When I read it, I thought it meant she was getting worse.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #761 on: January 16, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »

I had to look up whether or not that was a good thing, hah
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #762 on: January 16, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »

Sorry... I thought upgraded made it clear enough (although, to be honest, I've never understood the rating system, because serious has always sounded worse than critical to me).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #763 on: January 16, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »

Sorry... I thought upgraded made it clear enough (although, to be honest, I've never understood the rating system, because serious has always sounded worse than critical to me).

I'm fairly unfamiliar with it --  I was thinking the phrase "the threat level has been upgraded" would mean that it has increased in severity, but that this was probably a good thing (which it was)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #764 on: January 16, 2011, 11:04:51 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2011, 11:06:31 PM by Solar »

apologies if that has already been posted, but just weird

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/15/AR2011011501922.html?hpid=topnews

After checking into the Motel 6, Loughner went to a nearby Walgreens to retrieve the film he had developed. The photos showed Loughner wearing a red G-string and holding a gun near his buttocks, according to law enforcement sources.

edit: and what's this part about?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #765 on: January 17, 2011, 02:23:40 AM »

apologies if that has already been posted, but just weird

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/15/AR2011011501922.html?hpid=topnews

After checking into the Motel 6, Loughner went to a nearby Walgreens to retrieve the film he had developed. The photos showed Loughner wearing a red G-string and holding a gun near his buttocks, according to law enforcement sources.

edit: and what's this part about?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He was a college drop-out, remember? The Super Wal-Marts were built for those people.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #766 on: January 17, 2011, 08:49:14 AM »

He was a college drop-out, remember? The Super Wal-Marts were built for those people.

And for some who aren't drop outs....... Grin
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #767 on: January 17, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »

I had to look up whether or not that was a good thing, hah

I think it goes from critical to serious to fair to good in order of decreasing severity. That's what I hear from my friends who are nurses.  Of course, within the critical label is a sub-level of "critical, but stable", I think that's a little better than critical, but not quite as good as serious.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Gabby has been upgraded to serious condition.  I'm also encouraged that the doctors have not seen any complications since taking the breathing tube out Saturday.

It saddens me, but really doesn't suprise me, to hear of one of the victims in trouble with the law himself after threatening a tea-party member.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #768 on: January 26, 2011, 12:39:49 AM »

She's been upgraded to good condition.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #769 on: January 26, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »

I read that!! That's wonderful!!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #770 on: January 26, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »

Great. Smiley Smiley Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #771 on: January 26, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »

Just an incredible story of recovery.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #772 on: January 26, 2011, 04:37:39 PM »

You know, I really can't help but say it - and this is coming from an atheist - but her recovery really is nothing short of miraculous.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #773 on: January 27, 2011, 08:19:38 AM »

I'm not calling it "miraculous" until I hear she can speak.  So far there's not even definitive evidence she's tried.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #774 on: January 27, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »

I'm not calling it "miraculous" until I hear she can speak.  So far there's not even definitive evidence she's tried.

Given the fact that she have either died instantly or been rendered vegetative - given the whole shot in the head deal - I'd call this a pretty amazing outcome at the very least.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies