Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:21:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 32
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75814 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »

Sarah Palin can take her condolences and shove it. Her hateful rhetoric has endangered Rep. Giffords's life, and every other member of Congress. I hope both Palin is haunted everyday of the rest of her life by her actions partially leading to such an event.

I think the events of today have ended any chance of her reaching the magic 270 on November 6th, 2012.

President Sarkozy's condemned the attack, by the way.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »

Sarah Palin can take her condolences and shove it. Her hateful rhetoric has endangered Rep. Giffords's life, and every other member of Congress. I hope both Palin is haunted everyday of the rest of her life by her actions partially leading to such an event.

Well, future (and the inquiry) will say if you right.
Honestly, if that is political, Americans should calm down, since you are acting like a African country, now.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »

Does anyone know when was the last time a Congressman was assassinated? I feel like this is a pretty rare event in American history.

If she dies, she'll only be the second, I think. Last one was Leo Ryan.

There's also James M. Hinds, assassinated in 1868 by a Ku Klux Klan member.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assassinated_American_politicians
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/ariz_congresswoman_shot_in_head_YFTvsurRHy5OWGSRKnuK8J#ixzz1ATfPK9fq

Her father Spencer Giffords, 75, was rushing to the hospital when asked if his 40-year-old daughter had any enemies. "Yeah," he told The New York Post. "The whole tea party."
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »

Hopefully the Congress passes legislation giving Congresspeople dedicated security details after this.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »

MSNBC has the sheriff's news conference.  He was just like "check out the hospital news conference".  I AGREE.  STUPID MSNBC.

He said the suspect is 22-years-old, and has had only "1 run-in with the law" in Pima County since age 18, but it was "very minor".

The weapon used was a "pistol with an extended magazine".  18 injured.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/ariz_congresswoman_shot_in_head_YFTvsurRHy5OWGSRKnuK8J#ixzz1ATfPK9fq

Her father Spencer Giffords, 75, was rushing to the hospital when asked if his 40-year-old daughter had any enemies. "Yeah," he told The New York Post. "The whole tea party."

Can't blame him for telling it like it is.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »

Hopefully the Congress passes legislation giving Congresspeople dedicated security details after this.

Hopefully congress doesnt.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2011, 03:51:20 PM »

Oh oh oh, report him for excessive hyperbole. Come on people, even her Dad know where the obvious suspect holds their allegiances.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

Honestly, if that is political, Americans should calm down, since you are acting like a African country, now.

Who is acting like an African country? One gunman? How can a single murderer act like an African country?

Do you people think at all before making these emotional comments?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »

Shooter named as Jared Lafner [sp?]
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2011, 03:52:33 PM »

http://twitter.com/rep_giffords
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »

Pima County sheriff's office: 6 dead, 18 wounded.  Hospital: 6 dead, 15 wounded.  AP: shooter was named Jared Laughner.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »

Looks like she's alive and is undergoing a surgery.

Good news. I hope it stays this way Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »

Holy sh*t! Any more information about the suspect? All I've heard is that he is 22-year-old white male.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »

I'm perfectly calm, Franzl. I've just finally decided to stop making as if this rhetoric was normal in a civilized country. And anyone who thinks so is working for them.

Who said anything about whether it's "normal"? That's a completely different debate. Your accusations, though, are just absurd.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2011, 03:54:15 PM »

Who is acting like an African country? One gunman? How can a single murderer act like an African country?

Do you people think at all before making these emotional comments?

The whole ambiance since a few months seems really bad.
Threats, unlashed populism, lies and all that junk.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »

Dont get me wrong, this is tragic, but I love how people are getting all pissy and having their panties in a bunch.  People are spewing so much hate at other people, who doesnt even know WHY she was shot, and they've never even met the person.

Seriously, this is a sad, and very very tragic day. But just calm down people.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »

From Andrew Sullivan's blog:

A reader writes:

I am standing in the aisle at Costco when I found out my Congresswomen, Gabrielle Giffords, has been shot dead up on the north side.
While I’m scrambling with my phone, two couples in front of me are talking about it and suddenly I hear one of the women say, “Well, that’s to be expected when you’re so liberal.”
And the other woman says, “Ohh, so we get to appoint a Republican?”

I did not trust myself to speak. I’m a Soldier. Please remind me what country I am fighting for? At least seven people are dead. She happens to be the only member of Congress married to an active duty military — he’s a Navy officer serving as an astronaut.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2011, 03:55:51 PM »

Holy sh*t! Any more information about the suspect? All I've heard is that he is 22-year-old white male.

Now, that's ironic, when you read some readers comments on Yahoo, like Well, when you don't deport illegals, then things like this happen.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »

Leave it to the classy folks here to immediately turn this into a political debate!

Very, very sad news. I was on my way back from a funeral when a friend texted me about it. Whoever did this will hopefully fry.

And if George W. Bush was shot, his father would say W.'s enemies were "the whole American Left." That doesn't mean it would be a leftist plot. Terribly dangerous and irresponsible comment on the part of the father but I guess we can cut him some slack since his daughter was just shot and he was probably in a panic.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »

Now, that's ironic, when you read some readers comments on Yahoo, like Well, when you don't deport illegals, then things like this happen.

Yeah, and its sad that if people got linked to this forum looking for information, they would think the same thing from our posters.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »

Does anyone know when was the last time a Congressman was assassinated? I feel like this is a pretty rare event in American history.

If she dies, she'll only be the second, I think. Last one was Leo Ryan.

Not really. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assassinated_American_politicians
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »

Look at px foaming at the mouth, trying to find anything he possibly can to make this about Republicans/Tea Parties.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2011, 03:59:11 PM »

Better than Boner. And arguably marginally better than Bayner, actually. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies