GOP already backing away from campaign promises.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:43:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP already backing away from campaign promises.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOP already backing away from campaign promises.....  (Read 2252 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:52:36 AM »

Are you shocked?

By ANDREW TAYLOR and CALVIN WOODWARD, Associated Press Andrew Taylor And Calvin Woodward, Associated Press – 2 hrs 44 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Republicans have already violated some of the vows they made in taking stewardship of the House.

Their pledge to cut $100 billion from the budget in one year won't be kept.

And for a coming vote seeking to repeal the health care overhaul, the first major initiative of the new Congress, lawmakers won't be allowed to propose changes to the legislation despite Republican promises to end such heavy-handed tactics from the days of Democratic control.

exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:58:42 AM »

I would have never guessed.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:06:28 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIX_0nMlIBU
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:07:07 AM »

Wait, I was under the impression that they were really extreme extremists!  What happened?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »

Reality is such a bitch isn't it?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:54 AM »

'Tis.  Campaign in poetry, govern in...well, not exactly prose...

I guess the health care repeal vote going through without possible amendment is, despite what Beohner says in speeches, what the GOP considers payback.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:57:28 AM »

Shocker, no really, totally didn't see it coming/sarcasm.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »

Why would anyone be shocked? All you need to do is look at the Republican's pledges.

As I understand it, Boehner will bring up two bills on health care. One is a clean repeal that is one page long. The other is the replacement bill which as I understand it, amendments will be allowed. If the goal is a clean slate to start from it makes perfect sense to not allow the initial repeal to be significantly altered to the point that it changes the original intent of a full repeal. Of course explaining the mechanics takes time and as we can already see the mainstream media isn't going to be doing the Republicans any favors. So it is simiply a violation of their promises. Did the Republicans not promise "an up or down vote on a clean repeal bill". I do beleive they did. Are the promises contradictory? Yes, but so were the Democrat promises. How is this different then Pelosi waiving her own paygo rules or Obama violating his pledge to veto pork filled bills? It's not. The Republican's would loose more by not having an up or down vote on a clean repeal bill.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »

Its not different and that's the problem, the fact of the matter is neither party seems to have any intention of doing anything that could negatively affect them. But they sure love to say they will change things.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 03:05:44 PM »

I'm just waiting for Senator Kyl and/or Speaker Boehner to turn to the President at a meeting and say, "We won."
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »

I'm just waiting for Senator Kyl and/or Speaker Boehner to turn to the President at a meeting and say, "We won."

In what world Kyl won? The Democrats still control the Senate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 03:40:38 PM »

Roll Eyes

He obviously didn't win but it would be in response to a greater GOP presence in Congress. They'll have some "bipartisan" event soon, the President will act like he still runs everything and Kyl could simply make a general comment (could even be referring to the House). He'd be saying it since the great uniter we have as President decided to say it to him in early 2009. I'm sure Boehner will be kind enough to let Kyl say it on his behalf if Obama starts complaining about something in the House.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »

Roll Eyes

He obviously didn't win but it would be in response to a greater GOP presence in Congress. They'll have some "bipartisan" event soon, the President will act like he still runs everything and Kyl could simply make a general comment (could even be referring to the House). He'd be saying it since the great uniter we have as President decided to say it to him in early 2009. I'm sure Boehner will be kind enough to let Kyl say it on his behalf if Obama starts complaining about something in the House.

Apparently you're confused. Bush isn't president anymore.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 03:56:13 PM »

Roll Eyes

Right because, despite the example I cited, this President doesn't act like he's entitled to everything he wants.

"We won." Really changed Washington, Mr. President!
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 04:06:06 PM »

I'm so glad I didn't actually contribute anything to these liars, since Lummis was never going to get my vote anyway.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »

Right because, despite the example I cited, this President doesn't act like he's entitled to everything he wants.

"We won." Really changed Washington, Mr. President!
[/quote]

Are you kind enough to remind us the circumstances under which he uttered that phrase?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »

Are you kind enough to remind us the circumstances under which he uttered that phrase?

He said it during negotiations with Congressional Republicans after Republicans noted their concern with spending. Great negotiating.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 05:15:56 PM »

He said it during negotiations with Congressional Republicans after Republicans noted their concern with spending. Great negotiating.

Well, as much as it may surprise you the minority can't FORCE their policies on the majority. Especially when they have settled on a strategy of "No Compromise".
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 05:18:30 PM »

Well, as much as it may surprise you the minority can't FORCE their policies on the majority. Especially when they have settled on a strategy of "No Compromise".

Who said anything about forcing policies on anyone? You don't say "I won" after campaigning on changing politics and all of his other nonsense at negotiations.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »

Who said anything about forcing policies on anyone? You don't say "I won" after campaigning on changing politics and all of his other nonsense at negotiations.

You can if the losing side behaves as if they own the place.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »

Right, px.  Roll Eyes  They were acting like they owned the place by voicing their concerns over spending. Thanks for your daily dose of hackery.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »

Right, px.  Roll Eyes  They were acting like they owned the place by voicing their concerns over spending. Thanks for your daily dose of hackery.

Where were those concerns during the Bush years? They remembered them when a Democrat was in the White House as a fig-leaf for their obstruction.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »

The Republicans in the House and Bill Clinton as President disagreed but they were still able to get major things accomplished, both liberal and conservative. Obama lacks the ability to be a leader and these Tea Party tools have no idea what a statesman is supposed to do.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »

Where were those concerns during the Bush years? They remembered them when a Democrat was in the White House as a fig-leaf for their obstruction.

Hey, it happens on both sides and I don't like when either party does it. However, it was Obama that trumpeted that nonsense that he "transcends politics."
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »

Hey, it happens on both sides and I don't like when either party does it. However, it was Obama that trumpeted that nonsense that he "transcends politics."

Because he was naive enough to believe that Republicans would negotiate in good faith.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies