Bye Bye Gold Nonsense
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:15:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Bye Bye Gold Nonsense
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Bye Bye Gold Nonsense  (Read 23713 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »

Gold is still in a long-term bull market - that much is certain.  Unlike almost all other commodities of which questions are much greater.

Wrong. It has peaked and will soon fall spectacularly, just like oil. It isn't that hard to spot these bubbles. When "everybody" is talking about them and how great they're doing (ditto for real estate few years back) it's time to sell, or if you're adventurous, short in a big way.

It was being said that it had peaked about 200$ ago. And again about 400$ before that. Etc.

Gold is a hedge against inflation and currency devaluation, both of which are occurring across the world (especially in the UK, US, China, and Japan). If currencies resume their strength, gold will fall. Except if that happened it would imply that inflation has cut off which would require that the Fed stop its various programs which would result in the recession coming back in full force and then some (not that they are actually preventing it so much as delaying it).

But please, keep on claiming that gold is in a bubble and that it has peaked, I would love it to drop back down a couple hundred dollars so I can buy some more.

You want to buy it when it's falling? Ok.......

Anybody who bought Gold when the thread was made would have made a 14% or (28% annualized) return if they sold today.
So he didn't time the peak exactly right. A person pointing out that real estate was overvalued in 2006 wasn't wrong becuase it was that much higher in 2007. A bubble's still a bubble.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 08:14:52 AM »

Gold is still in a long-term bull market - that much is certain.  Unlike almost all other commodities of which questions are much greater.

Wrong. It has peaked and will soon fall spectacularly, just like oil. It isn't that hard to spot these bubbles. When "everybody" is talking about them and how great they're doing (ditto for real estate few years back) it's time to sell, or if you're adventurous, short in a big way.

It was being said that it had peaked about 200$ ago. And again about 400$ before that. Etc.

Gold is a hedge against inflation and currency devaluation, both of which are occurring across the world (especially in the UK, US, China, and Japan). If currencies resume their strength, gold will fall. Except if that happened it would imply that inflation has cut off which would require that the Fed stop its various programs which would result in the recession coming back in full force and then some (not that they are actually preventing it so much as delaying it).

But please, keep on claiming that gold is in a bubble and that it has peaked, I would love it to drop back down a couple hundred dollars so I can buy some more.

Anybody who bought Gold when the thread was made would have made a 14% or (28% annualized) return if they sold today.
So he didn't time the peak exactly right. A person pointing out that real estate was overvalued in 2006 wasn't wrong becuase it was that much higher in 2007. A bubble's still a bubble.

It doesn't, however, look like we've reached the outer edge of the bubble.  When it collapses, we might gold still around or above 1/2011 level.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »

It doesn't, however, look like we've reached the outer edge of the bubble.  When it collapses, we might gold still around or above 1/2011 level.
No, because when bubbles collapse, the commodity becomes undervalued, something gold certainly wasn't in January. Look how far oil fell in 2008. And that was a commodiy that's actually useful. A blind man could see this a mile away.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »

No, because when bubbles collapse, the commodity becomes undervalued, something gold certainly wasn't in January. Look how far oil fell in 2008. And that was a commodiy that's actually useful. A blind man could see this a mile away.

You assume, as Opebo did, that the bubble is close to the upper edge at this point.  I do not.

The are some uncertainty factors, and gold, as a store of value, is much different that oil.  That analogy is is invalid. 

Opebo's premise is incorrect.  Gold was starting up in 1978.  On 1/1/79, gold was at roughly $220 per ounce.  It was never below that over the next decade and I think the lowest that it got was a around $280-90, or 20%+ off its close.  Long term, that price never retreated.  http://www.kitco.com/scripts/hist_charts/yearly_graphs.plx
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »

So this is why Beck went off the air.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »

So this is why Beck went off the air.

Opebo was wrong; Beck was right.

What is interesting is the parallel between 1976-78 and 2008-10.  The low to high percentage increase was almost identical in 1976-78.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2011, 03:11:58 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2011, 05:06:30 PM by J. J. »

Au @ $1605.1

Record high.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »

We're not there, by a long shot.  Silver already corrected.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2011, 01:49:42 AM »

When you look at the major currencies and the major problems facing them - the dollar, euro and yen especially, it's unsurprising that there's a flight to quality (among those who can afford to do so). I don't think this is a bubble, but instead a result of uncertainty and worry.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2011, 05:10:55 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2011, 05:23:38 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

Gold is still in a long-term bull market - that much is certain.  Unlike almost all other commodities of which questions are much greater.

It doesn't, however, look like we've reached the outer edge of the bubble.  When it collapses, we might gold still around or above 1/2011 level.

Gold is useful, for electronics and all those things.
It also creates jobs in gold mines.
I hope it isn't a bubble. People in my area are living thanks to it and more mines are coming, with that high prize. And with the money they gain, workers can uses tertiary services, creating jobs there too.

In fact, the crisis has been good in my area, since it created a gold prize increase. Unemployment is near a record low and the main economical problem is lack of qualified workers. I never saw so many job offerings in the local newspaper and many are in the newspaper for weeks, since nobody qualified apply to them.

It is good to know about the good side of things which look bad.

If it is a bubble and it bursts, next years will be ugly here and we will have to hope than wood prize/demand returns to its past level.

Edit: I forgot housing shortage, too. Few houses are in sale, there is no empty houses and the Rental Vancancy Rate is 0% in more than a year. All rentals are taken and as soon one is free, it is filled within days. Houses are built, but it is not enough. The city administration is spending weeks to convince promoters to build apartments, rentals, retirement houses, anything than can free up a few houses/rents/flats/apartments/slums. Paying 800$/month for a 2 room delabred apartment is too much, too.

Talking of costs, the housing is going in a bubble because of that. 100,000 to 140,000 for a mobile home. 200.000 for a small house. For a familial house (3 floors, 3-4-5 bedrooms), that is 300,000 to 450,000.

Ten years ago, a mobile home was 30.000-50.000, small houses from 60.000 to 90.000 and big houses were around 100.000-125.000.

Strange situation, I know, given the world context.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

The question is not not so much if this is a bubble, but, if it is, what end of the bubble are we at.

In the analogy with the late 1970's, both Opebo and Memphis fail to realize that gold started up in 1978.  On the first day of trading (FDT), 1978, it was around $170. On the last day of trading (LDT), 1978, it was around $225.  From 2/1979, gold has never been below that. If you bought at the start of the bubble, and didn't sell at all, you still had your value.

There were also market corrections in 1978.  Gold dropped at one point to $158.  It hit $245, before falling.  If you bought gold in 1978, even at the high point, and held it for longer than a year, you still retained your value.

In terms of gold percentage increases, 2010 looks a lot like 1978.  The bubble burst in January 1980.  Had you bought gold in July 1979 ($300, held it for a year, and sold it in July 1980, you still made money.  You would have roughly doubled your money.  There were points after that, very long term, when you couldn't, but even after the bubble burst, you could make a fair amount of money.

We might be in a bubble, but, if so, we are probably at the start of it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »

Gold has been holding above 1450 for more than 30 days.  The edges of the bubble have not reached full expansion.  If you are willing to engage in arbitrage, and forgo a lower capital gains tax rate, it is probably a good investment now.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »

Had you bought gold on the first trading day of 2011, and sold it today, you would have made a in excess of 15% profit.  Ironically, if (or should I "when") there is a bond ratings downgrade, you might see a another 5%-15% increase.

I am sooooo happy I bought silver at $5.50. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Couldn't resist.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2011, 01:35:51 PM by phk »

Gold may still have more to go with Asian economies growing and being part of Asian culture to buy lots of Gold.

China may overtake India in gold demand

Bloomberg Jul 30, 2011, 05.40am IST

VANCOUVER: Demand for physical gold in China may exceed consumption in India by the end of this year, said Chuck Jeannes, chief executive officer of Goldcorp, the world's No. 2 producer of the metal by market value. "Three or four years ago there was no one who would have expected Chinese physical demand for gold to surpass India," Jeannes said on Thursday from New York. "Now it looks like that could happen as early as the end of this year.

And that's while Indian demand is increasing." While global demand for gold is advancing on concerns about financial turmoil in the US and some European countries, consumers in China are buying larger amounts of the metal as an inflation hedge, Jeannes said.

Investment demand in China more than doubled in the first quarter to 90.9 metric tonne as the nation overtook India to become the largest market for coins and bars, the World Gold Council said in May. India was the largest consumer of gold jewellery last year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Gold reached a record $1,631.20 an ounce on July 27 in New York on concern about a potential US default and is heading for an 11th straight annual increase.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »

The question is not not so much if this is a bubble, but, if it is, what end of the bubble are we at.

In the analogy with the late 1970's, both Opebo and Memphis fail to realize that gold started up in 1978.  On the first day of trading (FDT), 1978, it was around $170. On the last day of trading (LDT), 1978, it was around $225.  From 2/1979, gold has never been below that. If you bought at the start of the bubble, and didn't sell at all, you still had your value.

Of course what YOU fail to realize is if you simply put the same amount of money into a broad based US equity index fund you would have made a heck of a lot more money than someone wasting their time with gold.  No investment (or speculative vehicle) exists in a universe by itself.  There is ALWAYS an opportunity cost for doing foolhardy things.

I don't know of anything else, other than silver and possibly some specific IPO, that would increase 18% in value in the past 7 months.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »

That's pretty normal for a speculative bubble.  The same thing was said about tulip bulbs at one time.  Putting money into an asset for 7 months is NOT investing.  That is speculating.  The very fact that you had to cherry pick a 7 month time period tells me your strategy is flawed.    You started off with an example from the 1970s.  I quite easily debunked that myth.  So you cherry picked a 7 month period.  This is NOT how you invest.  This also clearly illustrates why I think privatizing social security or rolling back the social safety net is a bad idea.  Everyone THINKS they know how to invest, but they don't.  If we give all the social security taxes back to the people they will blow it all on Glenn Beck Goldline recommendations.  They would have blown the money on internet stocks, then reits, and now gold.

Except that we only seem to be entering the "bubble." 

No, I didn't "cherry pick" anything.  Opedo defined when the "gold nonsense" began.  I looked at the prior run up.  We are basically lower, as a percent increase that we were Jan-July 1979.  Gold didn't spike until January 1980.  It looks like there will still be a run up, so, on a short term basis, it probably makes some sense to buy (if you are not worried about income taxes).

Had you done the opposite of what Opebo suggested in December 2010, you probably could made a good long term profit (taxed as a capital gain), by selling January 2012.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »

That all very well may be, but it's not investing.  Its market timing and speculation.  There is nothing wrong with that if you can afford it, but it is a reckless thing to do for most people.  Study after study has proven that market timing and speculation by amateurs is a losing game.

That all is.  You could say that about any investing.  Obviously when Opebo gave the advice, it was wrong.  Now, long term, I don't think gold is a good investment at this point.  Short term, less than a year, it probably is.

If I could buy a gold contract for August 2, 2012 for the close on January 3, 2011, I would.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:50 PM »

Doesn't all of this just miss a simple point?  In particular, when something is in a bull market, you invest in it.

Gold is obviously in a bull market, and I don't see the mania phase yet (which almost always tops commodity bulls), so you invest.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »

Doesn't all of this just miss a simple point?  In particular, when something is in a bull market, you invest in it.

Gold is obviously in a bull market, and I don't see the mania phase yet (which almost always tops commodity bulls), so you invest.

Well the question is, was it a good investment at the start of the year and is it now.  Based on history, I'd say yes.

I wonder whose sock puppet "Link" is?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2011, 05:17:16 PM »

Gold closed at $1661.10.  It was at $1421.60 on 12/31/10, which Opebo thought was too high.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »

Gold closed at $1661.10.  It was at $1421.60 on 12/31/10, which Opebo thought was too high.
We get it. He didn't time the peak right. Get over yourself already. There's no way to know exactly when a bubble wil burst.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »

We get it. He didn't time the peak right. Get over yourself already. There's no way to know exactly when a bubble wil burst.

I think we're entering the bubble.  Had you bought gold on 12/31/10, and you sell it at its peak, you would probably be able to treat it as a capital gain.  I would be surprised it it was still going up on 8/2/12.

You know, this is the second time you've done this this week.  I use someone else's parameters, and you complain about that parameter.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2011, 11:27:28 PM »

I dont think gold is in a bubble.  we're out of fiscal bullets, so all that is left is QE3.  The Euro is screwed and business is going to suck.  Glad I am not Obama.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies