The Independent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:41:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Independent
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Independent  (Read 5535 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2011, 06:23:53 PM »
« edited: April 14, 2011, 02:08:25 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Volume 1, Issue 1.0

Hello World!
By Yelnoc

Ignore the below.  I don't have that much time.  This will be updated infrequently.

Today, January 1, 2011, is a new beginning.  It is a New Year and fresh start for Atlasia.  Today is also the founding day of The Independent.  The Independent strives to bring a new brand of news to Atlasia.  I can assure you that this will not be my weekly soap box.  As the schedule below shows, The Independent has a wide variety of news to offer.  I will be manning the Polling Updates and Editor’s Column, Cathcon has agreed to write the Timeline Spotlight, and you, dear audience, will pen the Letters to the Editor.

Here is a quick overview of what you can expect.  Each Monday The Independent will go over the polling data from the previous week, analyzing and commenting on the results.  The nearer we are to the elections, the more exciting this section will be – though, of course, it will review all non-joke polls regardless of their subject.

The timeline spotlight is one of the features that separates The Independent from all other current publications.  Cathcon has graciously agreed to write this column which will feature five timelines found on the Atlas Forum.  With luck, this section will spur new interest in the Election What-ifs? board.

The Editor’s Column is, obviously, my little corner to say what I want.  In the spirit of The Independent, I will limit Saturday’s to news, endorsements, and similar constructive articles.  If you are looking for gossip and rants this is not the paper for you.  Note that I don't always have something to say; if I'm busy in real life this is the first section to go.

Last but certainly not least are the Interviews.  Self-explanatory.  I hope to have an interview up every Sunday.

The Independent is an Atlasia Publication and an affiliate of the Yelnoc Times Corporation.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »

It will be interesting to see if this can last. We've had so many papers in the past die off after the first few weeks, so I hope this one is different.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:33:23 PM »

I look forward to reading this.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »

Volume 1, Issue 1.1

Best President and December Regional Senator Approvals
By Yelnoc

Recently the TPTTAA ran a poll to determine Atlasia’s best president, going all the way back to Nym90.  Colin Wixted and Purple state were the two finalists.  After a competitive five days, Colin Wixted beat Purple State by only 1 vote, 13-12.  Honorable mentions include Lief in third place, Keystone Phil in fourth, and Nym90 and bgwah tied for fifth.

The day before the Best President competition closed, Survey Atlasia released its latest senator approval ratings.  Northeast senator Eraserhead (JCP) has the lowest approval ratings of the bunch with just 33% of northeast citizens approving of his job in office as opposed to 67% who disapprove.  Despite this, there have been no indications so far that Eraserhead will not seek a second term after his upset election in this heavily Populare region last October.

Pacific senator bgwah (JCP) is the next on the lowest to highest scale with 43% approval rating with 57% of this sample the Pacific region disapproving of the job he has done in the senate.  He has declared he will run for another term as has Mechaman.  This has the potential to be a competitive election, though JCP voters outnumber UDLers more than two to one.

Midwest senator Snowguy’s (JCP) approvals are the opposite of Eraserhead’s at 67% approve to 33% disapprove.  Despite this, he has declared that he will not be seeking reelection.  Instead, Snowguy has accepted the vice presidential slot on Pacific Governor Oakvale’s ticket.  Vice President Kalwejt has declared his intention to run for the seat and is currently unopposed.

Mideast senator HappyWarrior (UDL) is the second most popular regional senator in Atlasia with 75% approving to only 25% disapproving.  He has not indicated he will run for reelection though there is no reason to think he won’t.  While his approvals are sky high, it is worth noting that the RPP has stacked its self in the Mideast; if they have a mind to unseating him a serious challenger could emerge.  So far though, no one has declared a candidacy.

IDS senator North Carolina Yankee (RPP) holds the distinction of the being the most popular regional senator and probably the most popular senator overall with 100% approval ratings.  His outstanding approvals are not without reason; he is, by a wide consensus, one the major reasons the senate even functions.  If he were to run for reelection he would run opposed; now that Mideast Governor Tmthforu94 has announced that Dallasfan will be his running mate it is hard to see what else North Carolina Yankee will run for other than reelection to the senate.

A special thanks to Teddy of TPTTAA Polling and North Carolina Yankee of Survey Atlasia for allowing us to use their polls in The Independent’s first Polling Update.  Thanks for reading.  Remember to check back in Wednesday for Cathcon’s Timeline Spotlight and Saturday to hear my take on all things Atlasia.  If you want your voice to be heard write to us.  You may just see your letter featured in Sunday’s Letter to the Editor page.

The Independent is an Atlasia Publication and an affiliate of the Yelnoc Times Corporation.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »

I have just added the "Interview" category to The Independent's schedule.  Hopefully I will be able to interview all of the presidential candidates before February's election.

Now, any feedback on the first polling update?  Was it too mundane?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 03:45:44 AM »

That's an interesting paper. Smiley
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2011, 09:59:18 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Notice

The Independent will be hosting a Vice Presidential debate around the same time that The Voice hosts its first Presidential debate.  We are targeting a date somewhere between the 7th and 9th though that is subject to change.  If you are a Vice Presidential candidate interested in partaking please PM as soon as possible.

If you don't like PMing for some reason you can also post in this thread.  Atlasian Citizens, if you have particular questions you want me to ask the VP candidates please PM them to me.  The debate will of course be on-forum.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »

Volume 1, Issue 1.2

Timeline Spotlight
By Cathcon

Among recent or active timelines on the "Election What-ifs" board, there are many to name. Here are but a few...

"Say What?: A President Barry Goldwater Timeline"
By Hantheguitarman
This timeline takes a new look at Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater's Whitehouse chances. New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller nabs the 1964 Republican nomination but fails as in real life.  Thus begins the race for the Whitehouse in 1968, where the main candidates for the Republican nomination are Senator Barry Goldwater and Governor George Romney. Originally opened at alternatehistory.com, Han has decided to take the timeline here as well.

"1988: Defending the Reagan Revolution and a New Democratic Hope"
by bawlexus91
Hot off his 2012 timeline, which was hailed as itself a great timeline, bawlexus has switched gear to the 1988 election.  The 22nd Amendment does not exist as in real life making President Ronald Reagan is eligible for a third term. Needless to say it is interesting; frontrunners for the Democratic nomination include Senators Ted Kennedy and Al Gore, and Governors Bill Clinton and Mario Cuomo.

"1960: Gorgeous George In and Onward"
by Kalwejt
A well known poster on the forum who has written timelines before, this timeline focuses on the "what-if" of Kennedy choosing Senator George Smathers of Florida as his running mate in 1960 as opposed to Lyndon B Johnson and still winning. Kennedy's death in this has a slight twist as Kennedy dies for health reasons earlier than his death in real life. Smathers remains popular despite being much less inclined to pass Civil Rights legislation, allowing him to successfully fend off a challenged from Senator Hubert H Humphrey of Minnesota and win the 1964 Democratic nomination.

Editor's Note
As a reminder, The Independent will be hosting the first Vice Presidential Debate of the season starting this coming Friday concurrent with The Voice's Presidential Debate.  So far, Ogis and Purple State are the only VP candidates that have confirmed they will be participating.  If you are a vice presidential candidate and have not confirmed you will be attending, please do so, either via PM or a post in this thread.  To the citizens of Atlasia; if there is a question you would like me to ask the candidates, please PM it to me.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:24:06 PM »

I'm in print! Smiley
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 05:48:47 PM »

Volume 1, Issue 1.3

Interview with Tmthforu94
By Yelnoc

The Independent thanks Mideast Governor Tmthforu94 for filling out the below interview.

Why are you running for President?
I am running for President because I believe it’s time for an active, bi-partisan administration to descend upon the White House. This game has been almost entirely dominated by the left since 2008, and especially in the last year, this game has gone into a state of decline. My hope is that a conservative White House would spice up the game and bring back some activity and competition.

What, specifically, will be your first priority if elected President?
This nation is currently in a crisis, and few seem to care. That crisis is the threat from China of them considering to cease further lending to the Atlasian national debt. If this crisis is not solved by the time I swear into office, my first steps will be to work with my SoEA and the Chinese government to stop considering this. We must convince the Chinese government that it is in neither's best interests to do this.

What do you think of UDL’s difficulty in coalescing around a single presidential candidate?
Well, if someone in the RPP was considering mounting a candidacy, I’d certainly ask them to consider not running, but if they didn’t, I wouldn’t go to this extent, trying to force them out of the race. The beauty of the IRV system is that the majority will always be heard, and if a majority, say, wants Conor over me as President and the two of us make the final round, the majority’s preference will come out on top. I think Polnut made a very good decision by going against expulsion.

How has the divided left affected your campaign strategy?
It hasn’t; from the second I decided to run for President, I planned on campaigning in each region and each ideology. Anyone who believes an active, bi-partisan government is the best way to go is welcome to support us, regardless of ideology. I’ve already had members from the left, center, and right, come to me, whether publicly or privately, encouraging my campaign and pledging their support.

However, it has somewhat bothered me, though for a different reason. There are threats to purge members and calls to get other campaigns drop out and unite behind one ticket. This campaign should be about exchanging new ideas and hopefully getting a good leader out of that. Instead of focusing on the issues and how we can fix this game, all some on the left seems to care about is holding onto power. Thankfully, the candidates themselves haven't bought into that, and hopefully they never will. This campaign is not about the left or right winning. It is about Atlasia winning.

Would you endorse a plan to recruit new members off-site?  If so, how would you change the registration rules to keep from driving them away upon joining the site?
I believe that many Atlasians may still hold their nose to a member who was recruited just to play Atlasia. Until that changes, I wouldn’t actively support off-site recruitment. However, if someone did recruit someone off-site and they joined the game, I’d welcome them.

Regarding registration rules, as I stated in my announcement speech, I’d like to see this become a more newbie friendly game, so I would support lowering the current requirements.

How would a Tmthforu94 administration lower the deficit?  What sacrifices are you willing to make to prevent a situation such as the horrid one we now face?
To help encourage the Senate to not add even more spending, I would veto any bill drastically raising the debt ceiling and send it back to the Senate for work. Dallasfan and I feel decreasing the current amount of military spending should also be considered. Overall, I’d like to see small cuts across the board. My “dream” would be for by the end of my Presidency, our deficit to be cut at least in half, if not all the way gone.

More generally, will foreign affairs be a focus of your administration?
Absolutely. Foreign affairs are a big deal in RL affairs, and aren't nearly as serious in this game as they should be. We want Atlasia to be humble on the national front, not prideful or aggressive. We believe the best way for solving problems around the world is through peace, and we look forward to peaceful relations with many nations in our administration.

Would you support term limits on senators?  If not, how do you plan on injecting some life into the senate?
I will not support term limits. We are simply too small of a nation to be imposing term limits, and as someone mentioned once while this discussion, what we’d see happening is placeholders sitting in on behalf of a Senator until they’re eligible again. We have some great Senators in there now, and we shouldn't kick them out. The great part about our government is that the people have a chance to kick out their Senators every 4 months. If only we had that in the real world.  Tongue

What do you think of the 2010 Federal Stimulus Act which is still debating?
Overall, I think it’s a good bill and would sign it if I were President. I do wish more power would be left to the regions than currently written, and probably wouldn’t have put this much funding into it.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »

Would you endorse a plan to recruit new members off-site?  If so, how would you change the registration rules to keep from driving them away upon joining the site?
I believe that many Atlasians may still hold their nose to a member who was recruited just to play Atlasia. Until that changes, I wouldn’t actively support off-site recruitment.

That hasn't, however, stopped him from doing so himself in the past on multiple occasions.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There seems to be a serious plague going on when it comes to this issue that renders people incapable of telling the difference between "term limits" and "consecutive term limits." No one proposed flat-out term limits. That would be insane and Atlasia couldn't sustain that. I floated the idea of consecutive term limits, to cycle more people through the Senate, a body people complain about as being stale and dominated by the same individuals but rarely actually want to do anything to change when the chips are down.

Consecutive term limits =/= Term limits. They are very different things and presenting it as a discussion on just term limits totally slants the discussion from the get-go and is incredibly misinforming.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »

I believe that many Atlasians may still hold their nose to a member who was recruited just to play Atlasia. Until that changes, I wouldn’t actively support off-site recruitment.

That hasn't, however, stopped him from doing so himself in the past on multiple occasions.
The man you elected to be President appointed me to the position of off-site recruitment, and I intend to continue to fill my duties in that roll until I am told otherwise.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 09:38:36 PM »

While I like and respect Fritz, and his Presidency, I just wanted to note for the record I've always opposed off-site recruiting. If you are so opposed to off-site recruiting, you wouldn't have done it in the past, and you would've turned Fritz down. You're clearly not so opposed, as it's benefitted you almost every time.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 09:48:06 PM »

While I like and respect Fritz, and his Presidency, I just wanted to note for the record I've always opposed off-site recruiting. If you are so opposed to off-site recruiting, you wouldn't have done it in the past, and you would've turned Fritz down. You're clearly not so opposed, as it's benefitted you almost every time.

I oppose off-site recruiting because members who are recruited off-site are often looked down upon, and aren't given much of a chance. If members of Atlasia as a whole began to accept off-site recruiting and had a more favorable opinion of it, I'd support it in a heart beat. This isn't about what I specifically want. It's about what I think is best for the game, and right now, I don't think off-site recruitment would be good for the game.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »

I oppose off-site recruiting because members who are recruited off-site are often looked down upon, and aren't given much of a chance. If members of Atlasia as a whole began to accept off-site recruiting and had a more favorable opinion of it, I'd support it in a heart beat. This isn't about what I specifically want. It's about what I think is best for the game, and right now, I don't think off-site recruitment would be good for the game.

So you support off-site recruiting, but disagree with how those members are treated. Just say that.

The way you phrased it in your answer is the equivalent of someone saying, "Well, I oppose voting rights for women, but only because people don't think women are smart. But if everyone started liking women I would support giving them voting rights." At the end of the day, just stand up for what you think is right, rather than equivocating on your beliefs. Sure, people will disagree with you, but it's better than looking like a silly panderer.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

So you support off-site recruiting, but disagree with how those members are treated. Just say that.

The way you phrased it in your answer is the equivalent of someone saying, "Well, I oppose voting rights for women, but only because people don't think women are smart. But if everyone started liking women I would support giving them voting rights." At the end of the day, just stand up for what you think is right, rather than equivocating on your beliefs. Sure, people will disagree with you, but it's better than looking like a silly panderer.

There's no pandering being done. I think off-site recruitment could increase activity, but won't actively support it until a majority agrees, because unless people agree, those who joins won't be given a chance. 
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2011, 10:21:32 PM by Purple State »

There's no pandering being done. I think off-site recruitment could increase activity, but won't actively support it until a majority agrees, because unless people agree, those who joins won't be given a chance.  

I guess the point I really want to make is that you can either lead by example or be led by the example of others.

If you had said you strongly believe in off-site recruitment and will work hard to convince people of its merits, I could respect that, even if I disagree. That is leading by example. That is starting a real discussion to move the ball forward. Instead, you're just saying that the status quo environment isn't good for off-site recruitment so you won't do it. If I had your attitude when Marokai and I proposed a new Constitution, it never would have gotten off the ground.

EDIT: Just as an example, you yourself came around to the idea of a Constitutional Convention only after we pressed the issue and made our case to the public. The only reason we got it done was because we engaged people in the discussion, rather than simply accepting the status quo.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 10:59:08 PM »

I guess the point I really want to make is that you can either lead by example or be led by the example of others.

If you had said you strongly believe in off-site recruitment and will work hard to convince people of its merits, I could respect that, even if I disagree. That is leading by example. That is starting a real discussion to move the ball forward. Instead, you're just saying that the status quo environment isn't good for off-site recruitment so you won't do it. If I had your attitude when Marokai and I proposed a new Constitution, it never would have gotten off the ground.

EDIT: Just as an example, you yourself came around to the idea of a Constitutional Convention only after we pressed the issue and made our case to the public. The only reason we got it done was because we engaged people in the discussion, rather than simply accepting the status quo.

How I answer one question in no way determines whether or not I'd lead by example. I believe off-site recruitment can work, and have been making that case to various Atlasians for months. When I become President, I will use that role to also help promote it, and hopefully, if enough support it, it'll occure.

And for the record, I was never against the Constitutional Convention until the very end, when was only being led by a couple people and not a lot was happening. I appreciate the great job y'all did at consolodating the amendments and making an easier to read document, as well as your great wiki edits. As President, I will build off accomplishments of previous administrations and seek to pass real game improvements, as well as actually play the game, which will hopefully stimulate activity in the game. Those details will be outlined within days.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 02:54:21 AM »

So you oppose off-site recruiting, despite the fact that you've done so, unless the majority of the public agrees, in which case you will support it, until people change their minds, when you will oppose it again, but even when you oppose it, you'll continue to recruit from off-site, as long as the President tells you to.

Consistency!

This calls for a fun new game!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 03:12:46 AM »

Wow, wait a minute... aren't your responbsible for off-site recruitment at the Task Force?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 04:35:12 AM »

Off-site recruiting is really a horrible, horrible idea. I like Fritz but knowing that he sponsored a "task force" which recruited off-site makes me seriously reconsider my opinion of his presidency.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 09:05:03 AM »

I tried to get off-site recruiting going, but there was so much opposition to it that I gave up on the idea.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »

I tried to get off-site recruiting going, but there was so much opposition to it that I gave up on the idea.
My thoughts, exactly. I did it because I hoped it would work, but it didn't. Sad
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 12:13:39 PM »

I am not a fan of off site recruiting, mainly because it can quickly turn into an inactive votebank. You can argue similar conditions already exist within Atlasia, but those people are at least active on the forum. They at least have some purpose being here. Inviting people onto this website just to vote in Atlasia is not right.

Keep in mind that if you know someone who is truly interested in the game, and will be an active member, then by all means invite them. I just don't want a repeat of the time when that chick from the American Idol forum just showed up to vote.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 03:33:26 PM »

Notice
The Independent-hosted Vice Presidential debate will begin roughly 30 minutes.  Ogis, Purple State, and Dallasfan all agreed to participate (unfortunately Rocky doesn't have a VP).  The debate will end at approximately 9:00 PM EST on January 9th (Sunday).  I'm sorry about the poor organization for this debate; I pulled the muscle on the right side of my neck a few days ago which makes typing quite painful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies