Networks calling GA/NH immediately in 1992
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:27:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Networks calling GA/NH immediately in 1992
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Networks calling GA/NH immediately in 1992  (Read 1560 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:47:52 PM »

I'm curious to know how in the heck the networks actually called both of those states.  We know that exit polls are used and that there have been big issues with those, but how can you call those two states that were won by <1 pt and <2 pts, especially when there was a 3rd party candidate making it tough to further predict the actual results?

at 7pm, those two states were called immediately, which seems ridiculous considering how close they were.  In the end, the calls were correct, but that was something.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:03:21 PM »

I'm curious to know how in the heck the networks actually called both of those states.  We know that exit polls are used and that there have been big issues with those, but how can you call those two states that were won by <1 pt and <2 pts, especially when there was a 3rd party candidate making it tough to further predict the actual results?

at 7pm, those two states were called immediately, which seems ridiculous considering how close they were.  In the end, the calls were correct, but that was something.

Were 100% of precincts in?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »

I wondered that too.  Didn't the pre-election polls almost match the exit polls?  That may have convinced the networks that their numbers were accurate (when they weren't, obviously.  The unadjusted exit polls showed Clinton winning in the neighborhood of +40 states).

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:26:26 PM »

Headlines of the hour. Clinton has 12 electoral votes we estimate, Bush none, Perot none. Clinton is off to start, rolling like a big wheel thorough Georgia's cotton fields...
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:54:13 PM »

Wow Ed Bradley, Connie Chung and Mike Wallace.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »

I thought it was very interesting how fast they called a lot of the Clinton states that night and none of the Bush states. 

At one point, Clinton had 363 EVs to 62 for Bush.  FL, TX, NC, MS, AZ and some other Bush states hadn't been called yet.  Yet, basically all the Clinton states were called by 11pm EDT (outside of NV and MT).

GA, VT and NH were called with 0% reporting and yes, VT wasn't close.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 07:51:57 PM »

I thought it was very interesting how fast they called a lot of the Clinton states that night and none of the Bush states. 

At one point, Clinton had 363 EVs to 62 for Bush.  FL, TX, NC, MS, AZ and some other Bush states hadn't been called yet.  Yet, basically all the Clinton states were called by 11pm EDT (outside of NV and MT).

The exit polls/pre-election polls must have been showing a huge, ginormous Clinton landslide in that case.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »

The exit polls/pre-election polls must have been showing a huge, ginormous Clinton landslide in that case.

If thats the case. I'm wondering if there were people who said they were for Clinton but had voted for Bush or Perot upon exit.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »

If thats the case. I'm wondering if there were people who said they were for Clinton but had voted for Bush or Perot upon exit.
Could have been more people saying they were going to vote for Perot and then voting for Bush when they actually had to make a final decision also.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 10:36:57 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2011, 09:42:12 PM by Mr. Fuzzleton »

In one scene of "The War Room" (a documentary which covers the Clinton campaign) it shows George Stephanopoulos writing down exit poll data leaked from one of the networks.  Apparently Clinton had a 9% advantage in the raw exit poll from Georgia.   LOL

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »

Clinton almost won NC, FL, and AZ. The three states went back and forth all night
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 09:40:08 PM »

I guess it was before the days when networks were forced to wait until the West Coast's polls closed to call enough states for a winner to be projected. No one learned their lesson from 1980 I guess. Wink
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 10:56:15 PM »

In one scene of "The War Room" (a documentary which covers the Clinton campaign) it shows George Stephanopoulos writing down exit poll data leaked from one of the networks.  Apparently Clinton had a 9% advantage in the raw exit poll from Georgia.   LOL

In the same scene, they also gloat about winning Texas and North Carolina, states Clinton ended up losing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies