Welcome* to East Haven, Connecticut! [[* Does not apply if you are Latino]]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:21:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Welcome* to East Haven, Connecticut! [[* Does not apply if you are Latino]]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Welcome* to East Haven, Connecticut! [[* Does not apply if you are Latino]]  (Read 2225 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2010, 06:01:27 AM »

http://gawker.com/5718648/how-a-quiet-suburbs-police-force-drove-out-latinos

How a Quiet Suburb's Police Force Drove Out Latinos

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mjh

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »

OMG Joke State!!!!1

Oh wait, this is actually north of the Mason-Dixon? I thought these things were only supposed to happen in the Deep South and Texas, not a blue state like Connecticut?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:39:24 AM »

Good thing I don't live in Connecticut. Can't say I like the idea of being pulled over, every time I go to a restaurant.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:53:19 AM »

OMG Joke State!!!!1

Oh wait, this is actually north of the Mason-Dixon? I thought these things were only supposed to happen in the Deep South and Texas, not a blue state like Connecticut?

Arizona's the Deep South?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »

CARL will be moving to East Haven, soon.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »

OMG Joke State!!!!1

It can happen anywhere, but it still doesn't mean the South doesn't have it's problems and it certain doesn't absolve it of anything.
Mjh

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:21:42 AM »

OMG Joke State!!!!1

It seems like terrorizing hispanics is something they do in Connecticut, not Arizona.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »

OMG Joke State!!!!1

It seems like terrorizing hispanics is something they do in Connecticut, not Arizona.

They do it in both. I haven't heard anything about Texas, though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »

Welcome to CARLHAYDEN's America.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »

OMG Joke State!!!!1

You were the first person in this thread to bring those places up.
Mjh

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 02:40:30 PM »

OMG Joke State!!!!1

Indeed I was. It was just to make a point though. That if this had happened in a red state like Georgia or Oklahoma liberals here would have said exactly the same thing.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »

OMG Joke State!!!!1

Indeed I was. It was just to make a point though. That if this had happened in a red state like Georgia or Oklahoma liberals here would have said exactly the same thing.

Then you should be able to find an example of someone saying "no one would ever harass immigrants/minorities up here." Go for it. In other words, put up or shut up. You might go looking on any thread that discussed Lou Barletta to find liberals saying "no, this can't be happening in Pennsylvania, this Only Ever Happens In Bad States Elsewhere."

What you might find is that stuff like this gets less traction in legislatures in the north and midwest than in the south and southwest. That's not what's happening here, though--you can get bad policing anywhere in the country.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2010, 12:26:15 AM by Michael Vick »

What's really at the root of the problem is the voluntary police state in the suburbs.  There's so little actual police work required by the extremely excessive forces that they are then given the time on top of the already excessive power that they can do some real harm to the community.  There is almost no positive of having a police force capable of this in the suburbs.  Police action is reduced to petty revenge or bullying in most suburbs, this place is no exception.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »

That is also true. I think it's worth noting the US is basically the only country where such individual municipalities have such control over their individual police forces, not every little quaint village in Britain has its own police force for example. This also results in towns that are basically just speed traps and the like. Of course going the opposite route makes Joe Arpaios more of a problem, but if the state and oversight do their jobs (which they aren't in Arizona), that can also be dealt with.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 12:36:49 AM »

That is also true. I think it's worth noting the US is basically the only country where such individual municipalities have such control over their individual police forces, not every little quaint village in Britain has its own police force for example.
Are you saying Hot Fuzz isn't a documentary?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »

Funny I considered making a reference to it.

Law enforcement doesn't exist below the county level in Britain from what I understand though I could be very wrong of course. I think in places like France and Germany it doesn't exist below the state level except for the major cities.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 12:44:02 AM »

The US is also basically the only country where the federal government doesn't have any "normal" police. The FBI is what people think of this but the FBI is never going to hand out traffic tickets or go after shoplifters or vandals, which the national police of other countries actually do.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 01:50:20 AM »

That is also true. I think it's worth noting the US is basically the only country where such individual municipalities have such control over their individual police forces, not every little quaint village in Britain has its own police force for example. This also results in towns that are basically just speed traps and the like. Of course going the opposite route makes Joe Arpaios more of a problem, but if the state and oversight do their jobs (which they aren't in Arizona), that can also be dealt with.

Until now, it's been the same in Mexico. But they are trying to get rid of it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 08:10:19 AM »

Funny I considered making a reference to it.

It has a certain level of horrific truth, beyond the absurdism. If people like that did decide to go on a killing spree those reasons would be the reasons...

Not even that in some areas:

Though, of course, beneath all that you do have local police stations in individual towns and so on. Before the 1960s and 1970s the structure was different, with large towns and cities having their own police forces and the political oversight authority being the ordinary local authority, not a specially constituted police authority. Though in most places the police essentially owned the Watch Committee. Back then they could do they own prosecutions as well.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 08:52:22 AM »

Isn't the new government aiming to restore local control over policing?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 09:12:47 AM »

Isn't the new government aiming to restore local control over policing?

What they want to do is something completely different; replace the police authorities with directly elected police commissioners covering the same area as the police authorities. Police authorities are the moment are made up of local councillors and nominated members of the public.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »

I think in places like France and Germany it doesn't exist below the state level except for the major cities.

France has no regional-level police force organized by the regional government. Some 3000 communes have a municipal police, which has little real power.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 03:16:20 AM »

Connecticut abolished county governments a while back.  Almost every governmental thing in the state is done by either the state or a municipal government.  And as in most New England states, municipalities tend to have a lot more power than they do in the rest of the country.   They even run federal elections.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »

OMG Joke State!!!!1

The fact that this is your reaction to the article probably says more about how you view the world than any of those you're critiquing.  Anyone remotely familiar with police discrimination cases knows that there are famous ones in cities like LA, Philadelphia, NYC and New England.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 03:36:57 AM »

Disgusting.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »