Rendell loses mind; Complains about Eagles postponement and losing to China.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:38:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rendell loses mind; Complains about Eagles postponement and losing to China.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rendell loses mind; Complains about Eagles postponement and losing to China.  (Read 1630 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2010, 11:31:38 PM »

Wow. Losing the spotlight is really taking a toll on Rendell's mental state - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5960674&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

"We've become a nation of wusses. The Chinese are kicking our butt in everything," Rendell added. "If this was in China do you think the Chinese would have called off the game? People would have been marching down to the stadium, they would have walked and they would have been doing calculus on the way down."

By the way, I hate the postponement as well but this meltdown is just too weird.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:57:21 PM »

Postponement is BS that goes against the spirit of football, I agree.

The China part leads me to believe we will see Rendell registering and posting on the 2012 boards any day now.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 12:06:45 AM »

He's right, for what it's worth.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:58:48 AM »

I like that football is an all weather game but people getting into crashes or trapped in traffic for 4 hours on the way home is no good.  Snow is one thing but 50mph winds and very low visibility add another dimension.  Philly and NYC are not as equipped to deal with this as a Buffalo or Minneapolis.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 01:02:41 AM »

There's public transportation RIGHT to the stadium, there would have been no issue.  And if they had played it when it was scheduled (which I don't see why they couldn't have moved it back) then they would have avoided most of the worst of it, which incidentally wasn't that bad.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:21:49 AM »

^^^^^^ Right on.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 01:31:46 AM »

There's public transportation RIGHT to the stadium, there would have been no issue.  And if they had played it when it was scheduled (which I don't see why they couldn't have moved it back) then they would have avoided most of the worst of it, which incidentally wasn't that bad.

I can't speak for Philly but LIRR service, MetroNorth and Amtrak was shut down up here and subway was very compromised.  A lot of people were also stuck on Jersey Turnpike and LI area roads for hours.  Maybe it wasnt that bad in Philly but I dont think it is a sign of weakness to put people's safety before what is at the end of the day just a game.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 01:34:19 AM »

Yeah, the snow wasn't that bad. I can't blame the NFL that much, though, given how Philadelphians react to snow. You'd think we live in Florida with the way people panic. But look, we all survived. Just like the other storms. I was watching either NFL Network or The OT on FOX when someone defended postponement because of multiple accidents on the New Jersey Turnpike and I think the Garden State Parkway was mentioned. First of all, the latter has nothing to do with transportation to the Eagles. Secondly, they are Jersey drivers. They will always get into ridiculous accidents. They are the worst drivers in the nation. This wasn't a good reason to postpone the game.

What makes Rendell's comments ridiculous is his desperation to stay in the news. The rant about China was just...odd. This is the perfect way to end his time in office though: he's reinforcing the thoughts that everyone has had about him - he cares more about the Eagles/Football than he does about his job.

I can't speak for Philly but LIRR service, MetroNorth and Amtrak was shut down up here and subway was very compromised.  A lot of people were also stuck on Jersey Turnpike and LI area roads for hours.  Maybe it wasnt that bad in Philly but I dont think it is a sign of weakness to put people's safety before what is at the end of the day just a game.

The snow wasn't that bad.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 01:48:03 AM »

Rendell should have followed Christie's example and go to Disneyworld during the blizzard. Cheesy

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1210/Christie_in_Disney_World.html

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 01:49:10 AM »

Rendell should have followed Christie's example and go to Disneyworld during the blizzard. Cheesy

Yes, he was on Christmas vacation.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:58:50 AM »

Of course. That's why he and his Lt. Gov left those Christian-hating Democrats behind to run the state. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 02:00:29 AM »

Of course. That's why he and his Lt. Gov left those Christian-hating Democrats behind to run the state. 

Yeah, allowing Guadagno to leave the state, too, wasn't wise but, yet again, you are desperately trying to make this a bigger deal than it is. You really need a life. Turn of the "Chris Christie" Google news alerts, please.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 02:06:54 AM »

Yeah, allowing Guadagno to leave the state, too, wasn't wise but, yet again, you are desperately trying to make this a bigger deal than it is. You really need a life. Turn of the "Chris Christie" Google news alerts, please.

Yeah, Desperation is my middle name. Roll Eyes

P.S. I don't use Google news alert.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 02:18:41 AM »

It's the subway and I don't really think sitting in traffic is that detrimental to one's safety.  I didn't hear anything about problems with the subway in NY except for a few lines.  We had to drive into Newark during the very worst of the storm and I would describe it as harshly as to say it was annoying.  Not treacherous or even nerve-wracking, just annoying.  And Newark was hit WAY harder than Philly.  Besides, the Turnpike is always crap, so you can't blame that on the snow.  Also, like I said, if they had just moved the game earlier the worst anyone would have had to deal with was some flurries that could have added up to maybe an inch or two over the course of the game.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 02:42:01 AM »

It's the subway and I don't really think sitting in traffic is that detrimental to one's safety.  I didn't hear anything about problems with the subway in NY except for a few lines.  We had to drive into Newark during the very worst of the storm and I would describe it as harshly as to say it was annoying.  Not treacherous or even nerve-wracking, just annoying.  And Newark was hit WAY harder than Philly.  Besides, the Turnpike is always crap, so you can't blame that on the snow.  Also, like I said, if they had just moved the game earlier the worst anyone would have had to deal with was some flurries that could have added up to maybe an inch or two over the course of the game.

In a blizzard the less cars on the road- the better.  Sitting standstill in traffic means plows cannot get through.  People's cars can run out of gas and then they leave the damn thing and block roads further. You also know that many lines travel above ground for stretches. However, I know really nothing about Philly or how they were affected- I just wanted to defend certain principles behind a cancellation in very bad weather.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 02:49:07 AM »

The plows were on the road when I was and there was no issue at all.  Same with abandoned cars, they were being removed remarkably efficiently.  And what do we need the roads clear for?  I think you've been spending too much time watching the news about this storm.  Are you the type that goes to the grocery store and stocks up on bread for a foot of snow?  I mean really, it was nowhere near a big deal.  And again, it would have been an even smaller problem if they had just moved the game back to 1:00.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 03:00:24 AM »

The plows were on the road when I was and there was no issue at all.  Same with abandoned cars, they were being removed remarkably efficiently.  And what do we need the roads clear for?  I think you've been spending too much time watching the news about this storm.  Are you the type that goes to the grocery store and stocks up on bread for a foot of snow?  I mean really, it was nowhere near a big deal.  And again, it would have been an even smaller problem if they had just moved the game back to 1:00.

No,  I have worked on inside of city operations centers.  There are a lot more accidents and first responders put at risk also by idiots who think they know how to drive in bad conditions. 

Here we ultimately had around 15-20 inches and 60mph wind gusts.  IMO, people should stay off the roads in that for their own and others safety.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 03:09:59 AM »

So again, it wasn't nearly that bad here or in Philly and it had barely even started at 1:00.  No need to cancel and no need to panic about "safety".  Idiots in sports cars slipping and sliding into each other on the highway isn't a national disaster, it's a slight annoyance for people who can drive in a little snow and people whose JOB IT IS to take care of that crap.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 03:26:21 AM »

Again I am not talking about this cancellation.  However, I think it is generally better that first responders do their actual jobs of putting out fires and securing all the downed power lines rather than rescuing people and moving their vehicles off of the highway after a game.  It is a bad allocation of limited resources.  I'm a big sports fan, but I think we put too much value on it. It is just a game and the world isn't going to stop because it is on Tuesday. 
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 03:35:49 AM »

All we're talking about it this cancellation and this storm.  The world doesn't need to stop for a little snow either.  What we really put too much value on is hiding from every possibly stressful situation.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »

yet again, you are desperately trying to make this a bigger deal than it is. You really need a life.

Ok... so it's obsessive to complain about Christie vacating the state before a blizzard while his Lt. Gov. was away, but Rendell's statement means he's losing his mind and something's taking a toll on his mental state?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 11:11:28 AM »

yet again, you are desperately trying to make this a bigger deal than it is. You really need a life.

Ok... so it's obsessive to complain about Christie vacating the state before a blizzard while his Lt. Gov. was away, but Rendell's statement means he's losing his mind and something's taking a toll on his mental state?

IOKIYAR alert!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 04:08:06 PM »

When Christie takes a vacation to purposely avoid the blizzard/neglect his duties, you'll have a point. Rendell is foaming at the mouth because he didn't get to see a Football game and doesn't like that the spotlight is fading.

Also, you can call me "obsessive" when I post as many topics about Rendell as px does about Christie. There is absolutely no comparison. Plenty of others are getting tired of his topics, too (see the random Christie thread on the 2012 board that has nothing to do with 2012 where px is owned).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »

Every effort is being applied to make the US more and more like China, so Rendell should rest assured.  We'll be a full-fledged slave-camp again soon enough.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 04:11:45 PM »

When Christie takes a vacation to purposely avoid the blizzard/neglect his duties, you'll have a point. Rendell is foaming at the mouth because he didn't get to see a Football game and doesn't like that the spotlight is fading.

Also, you can call me "obsessive" when I post as many topics about Rendell as px does about Christie. There is absolutely no comparison. Plenty of others are getting tired of his topics, too (see the random Christie thread on the 2012 board that has nothing to do with 2012 where px is owned).

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word "obsessed".
That characterization is appropriate if we are talking about jmfsct and Pence or you and Santorum.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies