Marriage Amendment In PA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:51:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Marriage Amendment In PA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marriage Amendment In PA  (Read 949 times)
Jordan Gwendolyn
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2010, 04:47:39 PM »

One thing that pleasantly surprises me about PA is that there has been no constitutional amendment on the ballot to ban gender neutral marriage, nor has it ever gotten out of the legislature, even though a "Yes" vote would probably carry every county.

I am wondering, how has Pennsylvania avoided this for so long, given the far right wing of the Republican party controls the legislature. I know Eichelberger's been trying to get it on the ballot for a long time...but, do you think 2011 could be the year that the anti-marriage equality folk could get a ballot initiative here in PA, and if so, do you think it could stand a chance of carrying every single county.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »

They would want to wait until 2012. Putting it on the ballot in 2011 would boost liberal turnout in what ought to be a very low turnout year.

I don't think it would carry every county. Montco would likely be against it. I think Delaware would be, too. Bucks would be a possibility. Centre is also a slight possibility because of State College. Don't underestimate Philly either. If this is put on the ballot in a Presidential election year, the local Dems would be forced to be against it and groups that would traditionally be in favor of a ban would vote against it because...well...that's what their beloved Democratic sample ballot says.

Eich probably knows it's best to wait, too.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »

Perhaps on both, though Philly has a chance to vote no. I'm pretty sure NC will have one now, since we are the last Southern state to not have one.

As for other states with a GOP pick-up of a legislative body and no marriage amendment, perhaps Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, and New Hampshire will try to pass one. (New York had its Senate flip, but with its House solidly Democratic and liberal, its unlikely)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 05:07:27 PM »

Or perhaps they are waiting to see what happens with Prop 8. If the Ninth Circuit agrees to overturn it then perhaps everything will be on hold till the Supreme Court clarifies the situation.
Jordan Gwendolyn
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 01:08:20 AM »

They would want to wait until 2012. Putting it on the ballot in 2011 would boost liberal turnout in what ought to be a very low turnout year.

I don't think it would carry every county. Montco would likely be against it. I think Delaware would be, too. Bucks would be a possibility. Centre is also a slight possibility because of State College. Don't underestimate Philly either. If this is put on the ballot in a Presidential election year, the local Dems would be forced to be against it and groups that would traditionally be in favor of a ban would vote against it because...well...that's what their beloved Democratic sample ballot says.

Nah, Philly would probably vote for a ban. It has a heavy African American population + the NE section would be enough to tip it over.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »

That's my biggest worry here. Dayton wouldn't be able to veto such a ban. Though at the rate things are going we might be able to vote it down.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 02:02:11 AM »

Nah, Philly would probably vote for a ban. It has a heavy African American population + the NE section would be enough to tip it over.

Like I said, the Democratic sample ballot is a big deal in a machine town like Philadelphia. The NE would support the ban but I'm not sure if it would be by enough to make Philly a "Pro Ban" county.

Regardless, a ban would win statewide and it makes far more sense electorally to wait until 2012.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies