More drama for Palin's family
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:33:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  More drama for Palin's family
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: More drama for Palin's family  (Read 2092 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »

The word "f****t" is often used in a context not referring specifically to gays.  I say it all the time, as a general insult, rather than anything directed towards gays.

Yes, in that case you're insulting someone who isn't gay by using a slur describing him as gay or in negative terms associated with gays (weak, feminine, whatever.) It's a slur against gays, using it against a straight person doesn't negate that.

How old are you, again? I didn't think much of the Willow Palin "scandal"...

I don't think of it in that way.  Most people who use it in such a context don't think of it in that way either.

Really? Then when you call someone a f****t, what do you mean by it?

I just like the sound of it -- better than other possible personal insults.  As I said in another thread, how words sound to me matters a lot.

However, if I know someone is gay or is offended by it, I won't say it around them.  Most of the time I use it when my mother is teaching me to drive.  I'll refer to other drivers as "f****ts," and sometimes as another word used traditionally to refer to a minority group.

I certainly wouldn't use either in public, out of fear of being beaten up by some retard.

Also, what The Doctor said.

Also pbrower2a, why should she keep her daughter "in line" from saying what she wants on her Facebook?
Poundingtherock
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 11:33:53 PM »

Morgan is completely right.

The people who take offense to it are gay people who somehow believe they are perpetually oppressed by society or their welfare-dependent Democrat Party allies who believe they are oppressed by society.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 12:41:09 AM »

The word "f****t" is often used in a context not referring specifically to gays.  I say it all the time, as a general insult, rather than anything directed towards gays.

Yes, in that case you're insulting someone who isn't gay by using a slur describing him as gay or in negative terms associated with gays (weak, feminine, whatever.) It's a slur against gays, using it against a straight person doesn't negate that.

I don't think of it in that way.  Most people who use it in such a context don't think of it in that way either.

I just like the sound of it -- better than other possible personal insults.  As I said in another thread, how words sound to me matters a lot.

However, if I know someone is gay or is offended by it, I won't say it around them.  Most of the time I use it when my mother is teaching me to drive.  I'll refer to other drivers as "f****ts," and sometimes as another word used traditionally to refer to a minority group.

I certainly wouldn't use either in public, out of fear of being beaten up by some retard.

Also pbrower2a, why should she keep her daughter "in line" from saying what she wants on her Facebook?

But that is literally taking a label used for a group in society and associating negative connotations with it. Who cares if you "don't mean it", what makes a statement insulting is the fact that others are offended by it. Even if a person who would be insulted is not near to hear such an insult it propagates the use of insensitive language in society and specifically among those who should probably need a lesson on compassion/sensitivity (for example when you say that usually you don't have to worry about offending someone who is gay because they aren't likely to be around). Though honestly my bigger beef is simply not being able to understand why people feel the need to use language that puts other groups down; I don't feel like there would be a reduction in quality of life simply because you stop using the word 'f****t' in negative terms.

Then again we all are different and come from different backgrounds and I may be overreacting.
Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »

No worries, brittain33, when he comes out he'll stop using it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 09:54:46 AM »

The people who take offense to it are gay people who somehow believe they are perpetually oppressed by society or their welfare-dependent Democrat Party allies who believe they are oppressed by society.

Who is this guy?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 09:55:23 AM »

Who is this guy?

A really really bad troll.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »

Who is this guy?

I'm surprised he hasn't been banned yet.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »

Who is this guy?

I'm surprised he hasn't been banned yet.

Don't infraction points expire after a few months?  I assume poundingtherock just doesn't post often enough to go on mod review, let alone banning.  Generally the people who get banned are very prolific posters.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies