Crowning Moment of Awesome Goldmine (NOT ABOUT BORING RELIGIOUS LECTURES)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 08:46:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Crowning Moment of Awesome Goldmine (NOT ABOUT BORING RELIGIOUS LECTURES)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Crowning Moment of Awesome Goldmine (NOT ABOUT BORING RELIGIOUS LECTURES)  (Read 3321 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »

Is there any reason why all the sins you choose are those that do harm to other people? Why not something about working on the Sabbath, etc. as an analogy for homosexuality?

well, IMO, working on the Sabbath is not a NT sin, rather it is a ceremonial law of the Law of Moses and is symbolic of the coming kingdom of God which is fulfilled in Christ.  

but, if you’re looking for a sin that is only internal and doesn’t necessarily harm anyone else outside of yourself, then what about idolatry?  Idolatry doesn’t have to involve others and it is certainly innate and something we can all relate to.  Or how about drunkenness, laziness, or gluttony?

Idolatry works, actually. That's the kind of thing I had in mind.

The others you mentioned are self-destructive in a physical way (gluttony) or burden others to take care of you (laziness) or both (drunkenness), but since you can be a glutton and still go to the gym the next day, it's probably not out of the ballpark. I know some people would argue that homosexuality is self-destructive, but I know I'd be in far worse shape physically and emotionally if I were forcing myself to be celibate and alone, so I can't accept that. I didn't specify non-self-destructive to begin with but I'd add it here, because you don't have to be Christian to want someone to not commit self-destructive behavior.

(If we go the AIDS route, I'll stipulate that we can talk about lesbianism, then.)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »

It takes a really big person to go off on BushOK. It's like yelling at a blind person for not appreciating the Grand Canyon.

Bushie's choice to hate gays because he thinks it's a sin is why Afleitch went off on him. 

And I think every person who "disagrees" with homosexuality deserves the same treatment:  F**k you!

I don't have to respect a person for their beliefs if their belief is to hate who I am because they think the way I was born is a sin.

that's an intellectually dishonest representation of what BushOk explicitly stated - he hates the sin, not the sinner - and it is intellectually inconsistent with BushOk's similar views on other "sins".

but this has been pointed out dozens upon dozens of time, but people like you are not going to address the point because your position (to characterize all antihomosexuality as outright hatred of people) is indefensible.

If I said I hated Christianity, would you feel that I hated you?

no, i wouldn't, based on that alone.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 12:00:12 AM »

In just two pages, and thanks largely to jmfcst (of course), this Crowning Moment of Awesome Goldmine has quickly become the Boring Religious Lecture Tin Mine.  Please update the thread title accordingly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 01:23:05 AM »

In just two pages, and thanks largely to jmfcst (of course), this Crowning Moment of Awesome Goldmine has quickly become the Boring Religious Lecture Tin Mine.  Please update the thread title accordingly.

I have to agree, although I have been often guilty about veering off topic in a thread myself, but I enjoy just chatting with folks. But I do keep in mind what other posters think about what is dumped on a thread, and one thing most here don't want dumped, is a Bible lecture. It is just the wrong venue for that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 04:35:24 AM »

Clearly you aren't getting the point about BushOK but that doesn't matter anymore. I think he's an elaborate act which makes afleitch's rant even more pathetic.

If he's an elaborate act, which I don't think is true (why do people think there aren't real people out there like him?), then afleitch isn't offending or insulting anyone, so what's the problem?

Then why is he feeding into the act? Would he have had that type of response for Vander?

You can't escape a lecture from Phil usually..,so no worries.

And we can't seem to escape other people (not myself) making this about me. Conveniently ignore others (including Flyers, of all people!) tell afleitch his rant was eye roll worthy.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »

Clearly you aren't getting the point about BushOK but that doesn't matter anymore. I think he's an elaborate act which makes afleitch's rant even more pathetic.

If he's an elaborate act, which I don't think is true (why do people think there aren't real people out there like him?), then afleitch isn't offending or insulting anyone, so what's the problem?

Then why is he feeding into the act? Would he have had that type of response for Vander?

I don't presume afleitch thinks Bushie is an act. Like me, he thinks he's real. I'm asking because if you think he's an act, why then should it matter what afleitch says? Do you really think he's an act?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »

I don't presume afleitch thinks Bushie is an act. Like me, he thinks he's real. I'm asking because if you think he's an act, why then should it matter what afleitch says? Do you really think he's an act?

Ok, I've already answered this question. I don't understand why you've just put it in a longer form. Let me repeat it: If he's an act, afleitch's response is ridiculous because it's only feeding into a troll routine. Again, would he respond that way to Vander?

If he isn't an act, it's pretty damn clear that he has other "problems" so there's no reason to go off on him like that. If Flyers is saying the same, you know it's bad.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 07:20:25 AM »

All these claims of incompetence...

To what high standard of competence and good governance are we comparing this administration to? The last administration? Lying the country into a war, outing CIA agents because you don't like their husbands, rewriting laws to torture people. It's a miracle they lasted 8 years with just the one conviction. Or we comparing it to Mr Arkansas ol' southern charm Bill with interns under his desk giving him blowies? Or old senile Ron selling weapons to the Iranians and illegally overthrowing sovereign governments? Carter? Maybe Ford pardoning a crock that anointed him President? Or Nixon that crock that was President?

I don't know what's more predictable - a jackass former car thief baselessly labeling a government of the opposing party corrupt or idiots on a twobit asinine chat forum populated by 12 year olds labeling a government they don't like incompetent when all that government's done is try to make the best out of a bad situation while trying to fulfill their campaign promises.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 11:22:54 AM »

True all he did was state the obvious but:

If that were true, you wouldn't be using Atlas as a blog about your personal life, spending all these hours discussing every detail of your life here.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies