Mexican drone crashes in backyard of El Paso home
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:23:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mexican drone crashes in backyard of El Paso home
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mexican drone crashes in backyard of El Paso home  (Read 548 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_16875462

A Mexican drone crashed in El Paso's Lower Valley, sparking a federal investigation and raising questions about why the aircraft was in U.S. airspace.

"We are collecting data about the crash. We don't have the aircraft because it was returned to its owner," said Keith Holloway, spokesman for the National Transportation Safety Board, which investigates aircraft crashes in the United States and in other countries that request its help.

Though the U.S. is known to use drones to patrol the border, this is thought to be the first time a Mexican drone has been reported operating at the border.

The drone crashed Tuesday on Craddock Avenue, near the intersection with Yarbrough Drive.

Holloway said the aircraft that crossed into U.S. airspace is a mini orbiter unmanned aerial vehicle developed by the Aeronautics Defense System.

According to the developer's website, the aircraft is designed for use in military and Homeland Security missions. It can be used for reconnaissance missions, low-intensity conflicts and urban warfare.

Officials at the Mexican consul's office in El Paso did not call back to provide details about what kind of operation the drone was a part of, how long drones have been in use or which government agency controlled it.

Vincent Perez, spokesman for U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes, said, "Our office was notified about the incident today (Thursday) after we asked Department of Homeland Security about the press reports on it. We don't have all the details
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:24 PM »

I hope CARL doesn't read this.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »

Time for a punitive expedition.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 03:37:19 PM »

About time we took back the Baja.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »

Time to finish what we started in '47, boys!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:47:02 PM »

Perhaps the Mexicans are preparing to start sending drones to shoot missiles at Texas gun shops that supply the Mexican drug cartels with weapons.  After all the cartels get their weapons from this side of the border and we've been unwilling to do what it would take to cut off the supply.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:21:42 AM »

Perhaps the Mexicans are preparing to start sending drones to shoot missiles at Texas gun shops that supply the Mexican drug cartels with weapons.  After all the cartels get their weapons from this side of the border and we've been unwilling to do what it would take to cut off the supply.
Dare I ask.....what would it take?

If a drone landed in my backyard, I'd be like, "sweet, free drone!"  I'm sure I couldn't get it working again, but I bet I could harvest a nice electric engine and some batteries.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 12:57:28 AM »

Dare I ask.....what would it take?
No you don't dare. Wink

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek above.  While I can think of some ways to tighten up the arms supply to the cartels, and even a few that don't involve gutting the second amendment, I don't think politically they could pass muster, especially in Texas.  Besides, legalization of marijuana would do far more to harm the Mexican drug cartels than any amount of gun restrictions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies