Declare Already- It's Getting Obnoxious
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:45:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Declare Already- It's Getting Obnoxious
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Declare Already- It's Getting Obnoxious  (Read 4746 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 03:20:21 AM »

Santorum wants to be the VP frontrunner and he has a good shot at it.  He's Catholic, lives near Ohio.  He has nothing to lose in announcing early. 

Santorum would probably be the most pathetic pick any candidate could make (Sorry Phil), considering that he got destroyed in his re-election bid any brings nothing to the table. There are much better choices out there for Vice President.

Going for someone's home state isn't the main reason why people are picked as running mates.

Like it or not, guys, Santorum has the conservative credentials. He does have a national following. He's a fighter and if we nominate someone more mild (like Pawlenty), I don't think you would doubt that Santorum fills that role.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 03:43:54 AM »

Santorum wants to be the VP frontrunner and he has a good shot at it.  He's Catholic, lives near Ohio.  He has nothing to lose in announcing early. 

Santorum would probably be the most pathetic pick any candidate could make (Sorry Phil), considering that he got destroyed in his re-election bid any brings nothing to the table. There are much better choices out there for Vice President.

Going for someone's home state isn't the main reason why people are picked as running mates.

Like it or not, guys, Santorum has the conservative credentials. He does have a national following. He's a fighter and if we nominate someone more mild (like Pawlenty), I don't think you would doubt that Santorum fills that role.

I don't doubt that he is a fighter, I just think there are better choices. Other then that and "holding up three legs of the stool" I just can't see what makes him a better pick then some of the other potential candidates.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 03:50:30 AM »

I don't doubt that he is a fighter, I just think there are better choices. Other then that and "holding up three legs of the stool" I just can't see what makes him a better pick then some of the other potential candidates.

Fair enough. I'm just pointing out why he's not a totally terrible candidate like some think he is. You might not like him but he is appealing to a good chunk of the Republican electorate.
Mjh

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 05:29:12 AM »

Isn't Santorums problem that he is viewed as really extreme by most independents and Democrats? I mean he did manage to turn his social conservatism into a liability in 2006 versus Casey.
And if you just need a guy to reassure/comfort the base then you have people like John Thune and Mike Pence.

Frankly I don't see why Santorum should be an interesting candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 05:35:49 AM »

Isn't Santorums problem that he is viewed as really extreme by most independents and Democrats? I mean he did manage to turn his social conservatism into a liability in 2006 versus Casey.
And if you just need a guy to reassure/comfort the base then you have people like John Thune and Mike Pence.

Frankly I don't see why Santorum should be an interesting candidate.

Santorum is more exciting than Thune and Pence though. Not to say that he doesn't have liabilities but the idea that he doesn't bring anything to the table is just proof that people let their bias totally cloud their judgement.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you Rick Santorum is the most electable, nearly perfect candidate. He's obviously not. However, my personal reasons for liking the guy aside, he can be a serious player.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 01:02:41 PM »

The only curiosities in the next 6 months will be whether Thune, Pence, Daniels, Gingrich or someone unexpected get in.  I strongly doubt Palin or Huckabee will make any move before then but it's not impossible.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 01:09:04 PM »

Could John Hoeven run?? he is was a popular governor for 8 years and was elected senator in a landslide. I think he is a potential candidate. people are talking about thune or daniels and are forgetting hoeven...
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »

Hoeven wouldn't have run for senate and would have done Iowa visits if he were interested.
milhouse24
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure Northern Virginia isn't near Ohio.

Well, he has a strong base in the Pittsburg area and that will be an asset for GOTV in Ohio.  Bring busloads of volunteer canvassers into Ohio for election week.  He's Italian and he would be the first Italian Vice President.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 01:26:50 AM »

Well, he has a strong base in the Pittsburg area and that will be an asset for GOTV in Ohio.  Bring busloads of volunteer canvassers into Ohio for election week.  He's Italian and he would be the first Italian Vice President.

This post makes me think you're here as a parody of yours truly (especially when you consider the last and totally irrelevant sentence).  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 01:52:12 AM »

About those "RICK 12" stickers...

I saw Tom Corbett shake hands with Dan Onorato, and witnessed Casey and Santorum sharing a brief conversation. I even saw state Senator Daylin Leach pose with Santorum while wearing a RICK 2012 sticker – but I’m pretty sure there was a heavy dose of sarcasm in that exchange.

http://www.witf.org/blogs/state-house-sound-bites/5786-pa-society-toomey-ready-to-work-with-casey
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 03:20:52 AM »

Why is that rude and unfair?
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »

Because IMHO the American people deserve to see which candidate can outrun, outlast, and outwit this daunting primary process.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 01:47:43 PM »

Because IMHO the American people Republicans deserve to see which candidate can outrun, outlast, and outwit outdumb his opponents during this daunting primary process.

Fixed.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 01:55:49 PM »

Because IMHO the American people deserve to see which candidate can outrun, outlast, and outwit this daunting primary process.
Outwit may be a bit of an exaggeration *cough* Palin *cough*
milhouse24
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »

This post makes me think you're here as a parody of yours truly (especially when you consider the last and totally irrelevant sentence).  Tongue

Italian Americans are a huge voting bloc, especially in Ohio and the Northeast.  They need good Italian role models to counteract the Jersey Shore stigma.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 08:18:15 PM »

Italian Americans are a huge voting bloc, especially in Ohio and the Northeast.  They need good Italian role models to counteract the Jersey Shore stigma.
I didn't know that the italian identity was still alive and well this many generations after the first wave of immigrants.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:17 PM »

I didn't know that the italian identity was still alive and well this many generations after the first wave of immigrants.

Oh, it is very alive. I'm telling you this as someone who is part-Italian. It is very alive, and gets a lot more attention in the media then, say, German Americans.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 12:23:05 AM »

Well, I certainly agree.  Wink

Oh, it is very alive. I'm telling you this as someone who is part-Italian. It is very alive, and gets a lot more attention in the media then, say, German Americans.

And thank God for that!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2010, 01:25:39 AM »

This isn't survivor.  It shouldn't take voters a year to figure out who they want to vote for.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2010, 01:26:34 AM »

Because IMHO the American people Republicans deserve to see which candidate can outrun, outlast, and outwit outdumb his opponents during this daunting primary process.

Fixed.

Ahh yes, because Republicans want to pick the dumbest candidate.  Roll Eyes
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2010, 02:50:55 AM »

We should probably also remember that the majority of Americans probably won't start to even slightly think about the 2012 elections for another 18 days.
milhouse24
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »

You probably don't live in the Northeast.  There is also a strong Catholic identity and many people are a mix of Italian-Irish-Latino.  Italian-Catholic families also tend to be larger and they are the blue-collar white Catholic swing voters that went to Reagan.  They are economically conservative but there's also a strong distrust between Northern Catholics and Southern Evangelicals.  Hence, one of the reasons that Giuliani lost in the primary.
milhouse24
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2010, 04:09:10 PM »

There are a lot of Italian organizations, but the strongest Italian organization is the Catholic Church, there's one in every city, and most Italians meet together every week!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »

I did not know that.  Call me naive, but I thought the majority of caucasians had as little ethnic identifaction as I do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies