Declare Already- It's Getting Obnoxious
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 02:05:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Declare Already- It's Getting Obnoxious
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Declare Already- It's Getting Obnoxious  (Read 4753 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »

It seems likely that potential GOP candidates for the GOP 2012 nomination are going to give Republican voters less than a year before the first contest is held in Iowa. Don't you think this is a little rude and unfair?

Who do you think will be the first to declare?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »

It's a game of chicken. No one wants to be the first to announce because that person never wins.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 05:55:18 PM »

I agree. While I realize the election season won't ever be as long as 08, second/third tier candidates NEED to announce exploratory committees.

Rick Santorum, Herman Cane, George Pataki, Gary Johnson, any congressman that wants to run.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »

I saw Santorum at Pennsylvania Society yesterday. It's our annual weekend long bi-partisan political retreat in New York City. He was making the rounds which leads me to believe he's ready to announce.

Here's a very interesting piece of information: one of the big union leaders in Pennsylvania is very close to Santorum. At his event last night, there were Christmas stickers promoting certain people for Philadelphia City Council next year. Then there were stickers that simply said "RICK 12." Now I instantly thought it meant Santorum but one of the most liberal State Senators in Pennsylvania was wearing one. Unless he was sporting it as a joke, it wasn't for Santorum. We still don't know for sure though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »

If Santorum wishes to be the Tom Tancredo of 2012, that's his choice.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:12:35 PM »

The joke candidates like Santorum and Johnson will presumably announce shortly.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:13:17 PM »

If Santorum wishes to be the Tom Tancredo of 2012, that's his choice.

Roll Eyes

Contribute to the discussion on the race or don't comment at all. We got the point that you think he'll be the Tancredo of 2012. That's wonderful, BRTD.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 06:16:39 PM »

I saw Santorum at Pennsylvania Society yesterday. It's our annual weekend long bi-partisan political retreat in New York City. He was making the rounds which leads me to believe he's ready to announce.

Here's a very interesting piece of information: one of the big union leaders in Pennsylvania is very close to Santorum. At his event last night, there were Christmas stickers promoting certain people for Philadelphia City Council next year. Then there were stickers that simply said "RICK 12." Now I instantly thought it meant Santorum but one of the most liberal State Senators in Pennsylvania was wearing one. Unless he was sporting it as a joke, it wasn't for Santorum. We still don't know for sure though.

As in Liberal Republican or Liberal Democrat?  Because party allegiance and the home state effect could trump ideology.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 06:17:56 PM »

It seems likely that potential GOP candidates for the GOP 2012 nomination are going to give Republican voters less than a year before the first contest is held in Iowa. Don't you think this is a little rude and unfair?

I thought Fred Karger already announced his intention to run
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »

As in Liberal Republican or Liberal Democrat?  Because party allegiance and the home state effect could trump ideology.

Liberal Democrat

He could have been wearing it as a joke/to say "Hell yeah, I'd love for Santorum to be the nominee!"
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »

Liberal Democrat

He could have been wearing it as a joke/to say "Hell yeah, I'd love for Santorum to be the nominee!"
That's probably it, unless you can think of any other Rick's.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »

Liberal Democrat

That's probably it, unless you can think of any other Rick's.

Not for a 2012 race.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 06:23:45 PM »

Erm... no. Jeez, 6 months is way too long, never mind just short of a year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »

Be patient.

One or more candidates will presumably announce next month, after the holidays.  Someone always seems to announce on Jan. 20, for symbolic reasons.  Btw, this year's CPAC will be held from Feb. 10-12, and most of the likely presidential candidates are invited:

http://www.conservative.org/cpac/

It'll be interesting to see how many of them (if any) are declared candidates by then.

I thought Fred Karger already announced his intention to run

Yes, but he's sufficiently under the radar that he's not likely to be invited to the debates.  I mean, people usually don't bother listing, say, John Cox when recounting the 2008 GOP presidential field.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »

It's a game of chicken. No one wants to be the first to announce because that person never wins.

There are already 2 declared candidates, who I think we can all agree won't be getting the nomination.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 10:11:57 PM »

I thought Phil told us that Santorum was going to announce two weeks ago?  I'd expect to see some announcements in January but someone who announces in December will just get lost in the holiday season coverage.

Here's a prediction: fewer people run than expected because it'll be clear that the primary will not be close fairly soon.  Watch Romney continue to push back his announcement date.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »

I thought Phil told us that Santorum was going to announce two weeks ago?

No, that was Vander Blubb pulling a prank on all of us. Tongue I would not be surprised if Santorum was one of the first to announce, though.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 11:01:16 PM »

I think that Santorum will announce any time now.
milhouse24
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »

Santorum wants to be the VP frontrunner and he has a good shot at it.  He's Catholic, lives near Ohio.  He has nothing to lose in announcing early. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »

No, that was Vander Blubb pulling a prank on all of us. Tongue I would not be surprised if Santorum was one of the first to announce, though.

Bingo
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »

Bingo

Any real news on your man?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 01:17:57 AM »

Bingo

Any real news on your man?

Nothing that you haven't already heard. I haven't spoken to any of the people close to him but what would be real news anyway? Everyone expects him to run so I guess real news would be him saying he isn't doing it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 01:21:11 AM »

Santorum has already said he won't announce before the end of the year:

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/12/06/1854233/santorum-decision-on-run-sometime.html

Pretty much all of the likely potential candidates, except for Cain, have ruled out announcing anything before the end of the year.

Also, keep in mind, "being in or out of the race" isn't really an either-or thing.  There are shades of gray.  Santorum has already been to IA, NH, and SC about seven times each.  He's already doing most of the same things that he'd be doing if he was officially running.  It's just that when he campaigns in Iowa, he's not calling it "campaigning".

Same with, say, Pawlenty and Romney.  They already have their proto-campaigns in place.  They already have their top political advisors on the payroll at their PACs who'll be running their campaigns.  At some point in the next few months, they'll announce "I'm running for president" or at least "I'm setting up a presidential exploratory committee", and just move the people at their PACs over to their campaigns or their exploratory committee.

In that sense, they're already "running for 2012".  We just don't know yet if they'll be "running *in* 2012".
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 02:54:20 AM »

Santorum wants to be the VP frontrunner and he has a good shot at it.  He's Catholic, lives near Ohio.  He has nothing to lose in announcing early. 

I'm pretty sure Northern Virginia isn't near Ohio.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 03:00:48 AM »

Santorum would probably be the most pathetic pick any candidate could make (Sorry Phil), considering that he got destroyed in his re-election bid any brings nothing to the table. There are much better choices out there for Vice President.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies