PPP: Huckabee and Palin leading in Missouri
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:32:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  PPP: Huckabee and Palin leading in Missouri
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PPP: Huckabee and Palin leading in Missouri  (Read 4086 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »

27% Huckabee
25% Palin
15% Gingrich
14% Romney
  5% Paul
  3% Pawlenty
  2% Thune
  1% Daniels
  9% Others/Undecided

Favorables among GOP voters:

76-13 Huckabee
72-20 Palin
57-25 Gingrich
47-27 Romney

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MO_1206.pdf
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:59:18 PM »

Romney does rather badly in the state compared with his result there in 2008.

Must be some of his 2008 voters crossing over to Gingrich or Palin or else, or just people who didn't vote in 2008.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »

This is great news....for Mitt Romney.

10% in North Carolina
12% in Montana
14% in Missouri

Can any Romney hack try to pass these numbers off as good news.  He'd be ok if he was cleaning up in the 2008 Obama states but he's not.  He's only doing so in some, but not all, of the 2008 Obama blue states.

Good showing by Palin in a state that borders the Huckabee strongholds of Iowa and Arkansas.  Iowa probably is not too different from Missouri right now.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 05:05:20 PM »

easy pickings for.........MP
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »

10% in North Carolina
12% in Montana
14% in Missouri

Can any Romney hack try to pass these numbers off as good news.  He'd be ok if he was cleaning up in the 2008 Obama states but he's not.  He's only doing so in some, but not all, of the 2008 Obama blue states.

Good showing by Palin in a state that borders the Huckabee strongholds of Iowa and Arkansas.  Iowa probably is not too different from Missouri right now.
None of these states vote especially early, so I'm not too worried. Iowa would be more useful, but Romney has strong leads in Nevada and New Hampshire, two early states. He also is expected to be leading in Michigan, another early state.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »

10% in North Carolina
12% in Montana
14% in Missouri

I agree with this. Romney seems not to be in good shape in most of the states polled so far.

I guess Romney doesn't really have a chance in Iowa and will focus on NH instead. He won't have a chance in SC either and will focus on Nevada.

Besides, if Huckabee decides not to run, Palin will get a boost from his voters, because in the national PPP poll that was out a couple days ago, Palin was the clear 2nd choice of the Huckabee voters. That should help her immensely in Iowa, where Huckabee was strong in 2008 and expecially in South Carolina where I could see her in a tight battle with Gingrich.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 05:10:46 PM »

10% in North Carolina
12% in Montana
14% in Missouri

None of these states vote especially early, so I'm not too worried. Iowa would be more useful, but Romney has strong leads in Nevada and New Hampshire, two early states. He also is expected to be leading in Michigan, another early state.

Michigan's 2008 primary law made it a one-time thing.  In 2012, it reverts back to the last Tuesday of February.  Tentatively, for example, Missouri's primary is set for Feb. 7 (which would currently be Super Tuesday), three weeks before Michigan:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=128721.0

Of course, there'll be a lot of movement of primary dates in the next few months, so we don't really know for sure yet.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »

Romney was also leading in Florida if I remember correctly.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »

who leads among:

moderates: Huckabee / Palin tie
conservatives: Huckabee
men: Palin
women: Huckabee
under 30: Huckabee
30-45: Palin
over 45: Huckabee
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »

I know this has been said before but how come this is so? I mean, it's...interesting.

Also it's surprising that Huck and Palin are doing so well among "moderates."
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 05:34:56 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2010, 07:39:14 PM by Jbrase »

Red- Giant Douche; Blue - Huck, Pink - Palin;Light Green - T-Paw; Green - Gingrich
Poundingtherock
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »

Moderate Republicans in states such as Missouri and Montana may be different from moderate Republicans elsewhere.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »

I know this has been said before but how come this is so? I mean, it's...interesting.

Well, three obvious reasons:

- Huckabee appeals to the kind of voters who want to vote for the "Identity politics candidate for Evangelicals", whereas Palin appeals more to "movement conservatives".  Women are more likely to be over represented in the former group and men in the latter group.

- Huckabee is more congenial, and Palin is more combative.

- Men like Palin's body.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There really isn't *that* much difference between "conservatives" and "moderates" in most of these GOP primary polls.  Though that might change once the campaign starts for real, and divisions arise.
Whacker77

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 06:00:47 PM »

I guess Romney is still likely to run, but I don't see an easy path for him.  It really depends on what Huckabee does.  If Huck doesn't run, Romney would just be wasting his money in Iowa as the majority of Huck support would go to Palin.  If Huck runs, there's always a chance Palin and Huck split the vote and allow Romney to come from behind.  Doubtful.

Romney's best bet is to cede Iowa to Palin and then aim his sights on South Carolina and hope a likely win in New Hampshire gives him momentum.  Honestly, I don't see it though.  Palin is going to be extremely tough to beat in South Carolina, especially with Haley probably backing her.  If Sarah gets those two states, then how do the others continue.  This is why I say Palin is the prohibitive front runner.

The wildcard in Newt.  Honestly, I can't believe he is a serious candidate, but I haven't quite figured out how he plays into all of this.  My guess is he ends up on the outside looking in.  Palin and Huck go after one group of primary voters, Romney gets the more establishment voters, and Newt is left to pick up the leftovers.  I don't think there's enough room for him, but it will give him the opportunity to hock another book.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »

Agree Palin's tone is more appealing to limbaugh fans who strike me as more male.  My gut feeling is women as a group aren't as hardline on social conservatism, a la Laura Bush, Meghan McCain, Kay Bailey Hutchinson.  I wonder if more of these women prefer Huckabee's reasonable tone, even if his actual stances on social issues is more severe.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2010, 06:54:50 PM by Mr. Morden »

My gut feeling is women as a group aren't as hardline on social conservatism, a la Laura Bush, Meghan McCain, Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

Republican women who get into politics, like Kay Bailey Hutchison, are very unrepresentative of Republican women voters as a whole.  Most surveys actually show that religiosity is a bit higher among women than men.  My guess is that socially conservative positions of the type favored by an Evangelical identity politics candidate like Huckabee (such as on abortion and gay marriage) are as popular with Republican women as Republican men.  (Though yes, the tone with which you advocate such positions could matter.)

But "movement conservatives" put somewhat more emphasis on economics and foreign policy, and on social issues with less of a religious connotation, like immigration.  Among movement conservatives, I suspect there's a bigger gap between men and women.
Whacker77

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »

Agree Palin's tone is more appealing to limbaugh fans who strike me as more male.  My gut feeling is women as a group aren't as hardline on social conservatism, a la Laura Bush, Meghan McCain, Kay Bailey Hutchinson.  I wonder if more of these women prefer Huckabee's reasonable tone, even if his actual stances on social issues is more severe.

I'm not sure I would characterize Laura Bush, KBH, and dopey Meghan McCain as standard Republican women.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »

More proof that Palin's power is being overstated.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 08:00:54 PM »

Yeah overstated again and again and again and again. Oh and again...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »

The joke and/or jab is going over my head. Care to explain?  Tongue
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »

Sure but put your tongue back in your mouth, please. I agree she's overblown, but the woman dominates political media.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »

Sure but put your tongue back in your mouth, please. I agree she's overblown, but the woman dominates political media.

Hold the hostility assuming you're not joking around. Thanks.

She can't be dominating as much as everyone thinks. Her position in the polls has her barely ahead or trailing Huckabee in several contests and the fight hasn't even begun.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »

Nothing new to add. But I agree State polls outside of Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada don't matter until we know the calendar.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »

Under what logic should Palin be up by 20 or so?

You act as if she's facing a bunch of no-names when in reality, she's facing people with a ton of name recognition in Huckabee, Romney, and Gingrich.

If she were up 2 on Pawelnty nationally, now that would be a problem for her.  But being up 2 on Gingrich isn't that bad especially when clearly someone (Mike Huckabee) is taking away her vote.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 08:27:32 PM »

Not to mention Palin's big flaws- is she serious, smart enough etc?- are extremely well exposed questions and she withstands them for polling w/in MOE of lead.  Huckabee, Gingrich and Romney: their Achilles Heels (pardons, RomneyCare, messy personal life) are, I'd guess, currently known by less than 10% of voters.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies