Breaking News: JFK and Reagan still popular; Nixon still disliked.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:16:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking News: JFK and Reagan still popular; Nixon still disliked.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Breaking News: JFK and Reagan still popular; Nixon still disliked.  (Read 2007 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:56:04 AM »

Gallup's Approval Ratings for Past Presidents - http://www.gallup.com/poll/145064/Kennedy-Highest-Rated-Modern-President-Nixon-Lowest.aspx

George W. Bush is at 47% approval.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »

=/ Depressing.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:06:09 AM »

I expect W's to continue to rise.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »

But what did he really do that one can approve of? Haven't quite understood that. I mean, yeah, ther DEMs play the Bush card anywhere they can, often dishonestly....but it's one thing to not hate the man, but a totally different one to actually approve of him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »

As it should  but while I like the guy, I don't think he was much more than a "good" President. I'd rather have a ton of people think he was spectacular as opposed to being "the worst President ever" though.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »

As it should  but while I like the guy, I don't think he was much more than a "good" President. I'd rather have a ton of people think he was spectacular as opposed to being "the worst President ever" though.

I don't quite understand how a fiscal conservative can consider him a "good" President either. Doesn't mean you have to hate him.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:18:39 AM »

I don't quite understand how a fiscal conservative can consider him a "good" President either.

Fiscal conservatism is irrelevant when you are fighting terrorists.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:20:17 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2010, 11:24:35 AM by (In)Fidel »

But what did he really do that one can approve of? Haven't quite understood that. I mean, yeah, ther DEMs play the Bush card anywhere they can, often dishonestly....but it's one thing to not hate the man, but a totally different one to actually approve of him.

Franzl, there are several factors, all of them subjective, of course, so expect to hear I'm full of it:

1) People are starting to forget Iraq (sadly), and Obama's not helping matter by bumbling Afghanistan/GITMO/DADT and so forth, so the focus is steering away from W on this stuff.

2) Past President's who aren't dickheads become more popular.  W has been a gem of a Past President given how Obama and the Dems invoke his name daily.

3) Even if you hate him as a President he's a pretty endearing fellow personally.  I've watched his book tour interviews on CSPAN and he doesn't hesitate to say he f'd up a lot.  He comes off as sincere, sometimes even as an ole statesman.

4) People are starting to blame Obama for the economy now more than W.

5) Time heals a lot and he has time on his side..

He'll surpass Carter.......nothing more than that......and he's not far from there now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:28:36 AM »

I don't quite understand how a fiscal conservative can consider him a "good" President either. Doesn't mean you have to hate him.

That's a major reason why I only think he was "good." There's more to being President than just concern over fiscal issues.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 03:43:52 PM »

That's a major reason why I only think he was "good." There's more to being President than just concern over fiscal issues.

Name three good things George W Bush did.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »

I guess 47% seems high until you realize its the lowest after Nixon. Clinton is at 69%!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 03:57:11 PM »

I guess 47% seems high until you realize its the lowest after Nixon. Clinton is at 69%!

Yeah, that number does suck, bgwah

Rasmussen Obama (National)

Approve 47%, +1.

Disapprove 53%, -1. 

"Strongly Approve" is at 28%, +2.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at 41%, -1.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:08:28 PM »

Approve 47%, +1.

Disapprove 53%, -1. 

"Strongly Approve" is at 28%, +2.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at 41%, -1.

You can't compare current approvals to former presidents. It's an entirely different thought process. No way JFK, or Reagan, or Clinton would get those numbers while in office. I like how they forgot Ford.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »

Approve 47%, +1.

Disapprove 53%, -1.  

"Strongly Approve" is at 28%, +2.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at 41%, -1.

Obviously the numbers tend to increase dramatically after one's Presidency ends. Even Carter is in the 50s, despite having left office with it in the 30s.

But go ahead and think you're witty & clever.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 04:23:11 PM »

Approve 47%, +1.

Disapprove 53%, -1.  

"Strongly Approve" is at 28%, +2.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at 41%, -1.

Obviously the numbers tend to increase dramatically after one's Presidency ends. Even Carter is in the 50s, despite having left office with it in the 30s.

But go ahead and think you're witty & clever.

Uh, bgwah, I only wrote what The Politico wrote.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »

I expect W will rise to the mid-50s or low 60s before he's finished. Obama's actions certainly help him, as well as the tremendous class he's shown since leaving office like refusing to criticize Obama. It certainly makes past Democratic President like Clinton and Carter look like jacka$$es in comparison.

Bush wasn't a great President by any means, but he's far from the worst ever. I think many people are beginning to realize a lot of the things that happened under his watch could not be avoided regardless of who was in office at the time.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »

There's a natural tendency for people to improve in hindsight, a "grass is greener" sort of thing.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »

another 9/11 type of attack and W goes up 30 points, while Carter goes down another 15
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »

I expect W will rise to the mid-50s or low 60s before he's finished. Obama's actions certainly help him, as well as the tremendous class he's shown since leaving office like refusing to criticize Obama. It certainly makes past Democratic President like Clinton and Carter look like jacka$$es in comparison.

Bush wasn't a great President by any means, but he's far from the worst ever. I think many people are beginning to realize a lot of the things that happened under his watch could not be avoided regardless of who was in office at the time.

I never loathed Bush to the extent that many did around here, while I disagreed with him on pretty much everything except immigration, he always seemed personable.

But policy wise
* Iraq, just the entire mess (I've always said, if Iraq turns out for the better, I'll be the first to congratulate him, regardless of the fact it was illegal and never should have happened)

* The handling of Katrina

* Advocating the gay-marriage C/Amendment - a) I don't believe the constitution is the place for such a thing b) it's using the constitution to deny something to a legitimate minority.... something wrong there...

*  Only supporting sex-education and HIV funding in Africa if it were based on abstinence... f**kwit!!

* Dramatically cutting taxes, then undertaking two expensive Wars, and not scaling those cuts back... so it's like taking a massive pay cut, while at the same time ramping up spending... it's stupid.

.......... so yes.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 05:40:48 PM »

another 9/11 type of attack and W goes up 30 points, while Carter goes down another 15

Book of Apocalypse?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 05:43:55 PM »

Book of Apocalypse?

No, rather Poll of Gallup.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »

Book of Apocalypse?

I get why W's would go up... but Carter?

Because you think he's an apologist and would go down??
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »

Book of Apocalypse?

I get why W's would go up... but Carter?

Because you think he's an apologist and would go down??

Because he is weak.  Carter's already down 9 since the last time this poll was taken. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »

I hope not. If George W. Bush - George W. Bush - is in the low 60s ever again the planet is doomed.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 06:05:34 PM »

Book of Apocalypse?

I thought that devout Christians usually disapprove the use of crystal balls.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies