UDL Convention, December '10 (Official business complete.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:17:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  UDL Convention, December '10 (Official business complete.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Author Topic: UDL Convention, December '10 (Official business complete.)  (Read 33517 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:54:22 AM »
« edited: December 14, 2010, 06:23:04 AM by Marokai »

Now that we have roughly everyone we would expect, we can start getting into the structure of the party, more specifically leadership posts first of all. After that, we can get into platform, color, logo, and all that other fun stuff. (Of course, feel free to chat about it now on the side if you like.)

All relevant posts to current theories about leadership position structure are the following:

Party leadership structure idea:

Symbolic leader: "President" (Elected via popular vote on whatever term people want it to be upon further discussion of these ideas.)

Party organizer and negotiator: "Chairman" (Elected via Executive Council.)

Executive council consists of three seats elected with the usually system for at-large elections by all members of the party, and each of these three councilmen decide who the "Chairman" is in times of vacancy or immediately after their 3 or 4-month terms.

To be fair, the Chairman shouldn't be allowed to be an exec. council member, since that would be an unfair advantage (vote for yourself, then just try to get one more person to vote for you, and then you're in).

We could also have a 'whip' position similar to the Populares and JCP, if people wanted that. I'm just posting this here for discussion's sake, and the real nitty gritty can be done in a proper convention thread shortly.

If there's a lot of interest, the Council could be expanded to 5.

I agree with this. There are a lot of "Chiefs" in this party who want to be chiefs and not "indians". Rather, there are people who actively like to participate rather than remain backbench party members.

Suggestions:

To be fair, the Chairman shouldn't be allowed to be an exec. council member, since that would be an unfair advantage (vote for yourself, then just try to get one more person to vote for you, and then you're in).

I think that this would cause people to shy away from running for the Executive Council, but I definitely see what you're getting at here. I'd suggest that a majority vote of the other members of the Council be necessary to elect a Councilman to the Chairmanship (so that in a three-man Council, the other two would have to approve, and in a five-man Council, three of four would have to approve). That levels the playing field, since the same number of people have to agree either way.

Also, in keeping with our democratic theme, I think all positions should have two-month terms, to increase accountability. That has the added benefit of making elections coincide with the upcoming Convention.

Have at it!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:56:26 AM »

I'd also like to say I have absolutely no problem with Xahar's ideas concerning council members who want to attempt being Chairman, and am fine with 2 month terms and 5 council positions.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:58:59 AM »

IMO Chairman should be elected by all members.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:59:30 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2010, 01:01:44 AM by Fmr Gov, NE Rep. Polnut »

I'd also like to say I have absolutely no problem with Xahar's ideas concerning council members who want to attempt being Chairman, and am fine with 2 month terms and 5 council positions.

I'm happy with this structure - but perhaps taking the symbolic presidency out of it would prevent the party from being too top heavy.

Chairman -

elected by all registered members - 4 month term

Executive Committee - 5 members

elected at convention -
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:02:22 AM »

One of the reasons I like the Council system is because it gives the Council a real responsibility, and so it lets Councilmen be involved in the party, so that power is not just confined to one or two people.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 01:04:04 AM »

One of the reasons I like the Council system is because it gives the Council a real responsibility, and so it lets Councilmen be involved in the party, so that power is not just confined to one or two people.

Hmmm what if we keep the Presidency, and have the Council decide on that?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 01:04:32 AM »

I have suggestion: assigning to each concil members additional task like running records, recruitment etc. etc.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 01:43:10 AM »

We should make the first term of any officeholder be one month. That way, we can stagger the conventions and elections of party officeholders with respect to the national and regional elections. Then, we can have two month terms reelected at the beginning of every odd month. The first week of every odd month is generally a dead period, and there would be no risk of the party structure falling into disarray RIGHT before an important election.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:53:06 AM »

I favor keeping the council elected Council officers who decide the Chairman and then have a popular election for President of the party and there should most assuredly be a 2-3 month term limit. Each person can serve 2 consecutive terms before they have to stand down for at least one cycle.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:59:48 AM »

I'll strongly support term limits for party officers.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 03:04:35 AM »

I favor keeping the council elected Council officers who decide the Chairman and then have a popular election for President of the party and there should most assuredly be a 2-3 month term limit. Each person can serve 2 consecutive terms before they have to stand down for at least one cycle.

Fine with me
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 03:24:16 AM »

Consecutive term limits, absolutely.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:25 AM »

Consecutive term limits, absolutely.

Is my plan ok with you then?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 04:47:09 AM »

Yeah it seems good to me.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 04:56:30 AM »

Here's my proposal.

I agree with President and Chariman stuff, but Board should consist members that would be given certain responsibilities.

For example, Secretary, to run all the records, someone for recruitment etc. etc.

Btw, I'd love to have some duties to keep myself busy.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 05:05:13 AM »

Here's my proposal.

I agree with President and Chariman stuff, but Board should consist members that would be given certain responsibilities.

For example, Secretary, to run all the records, someone for recruitment etc. etc.

I think maybe that could be for the council to iron out among each other?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 05:06:18 AM »

My idea is that council should include people like Secretary, Whip etc. etc. who would have certain responsibilities.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 05:08:53 AM »

My idea is that council should include people like Secretary, Whip etc. etc. who would have certain responsibilities.

I think though that it's maybe getting a bit too specialized for talent. Maybe if one of them needs time off that particular job for another one and wants to switch with another council member for like a week or so...

Would that be allowed or are you asking for more specific roles?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 05:13:11 AM »

I think though that it's maybe getting a bit too specialized for talent. Maybe if one of them needs time off that particular job for another one and wants to switch with another council member for like a week or so...

Would that be allowed or are you asking for more specific roles?

Well, I don't know if it would be better to council members to divide their responsibilities after getting onboard or just to elect officers, who would make up council.

Your thoughts, Doc?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 05:15:03 AM »

I think it'd be pretty simple to just divide the party responsibilities up between the council members after their election. They're not terribly important positions that we need a specific position for.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 05:17:13 AM »

My feeling is, you elect the council and then maybe the council just operates as one whole entity. One member may handle being secretary or whipping, etc. But if that person wishes or needs to trade off on duties with another member of the council, they should be able to do so. Keeps rigidity from taking over the structure, but at the same time still having firm responsibilities laying with them.

I think it'd be pretty simple to just divide the party responsibilities up between the council members after their election. They're not terribly important positions that we need a specific position for.

Exactly.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 05:23:49 AM »

I agree with this, leave the roles and responsibilities of the council to divide among themselves once they're elected.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 07:08:22 AM »

Here's my proposal.

I think maybe that could be for the council to iron out among each other?

Now I'm imagining some sort of ironing contest between council members for supremacy.  I kind of like this idea Grin
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 08:52:59 AM »

If there is a primary organized for the Senatorial elections, as Polnut suggested, I'll be seeking nomination. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »

Primaries and term limits for party officerholders, two things that failed within JCP are naturally something WE must adopt.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies