The return of Alan Grayson?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:02:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The return of Alan Grayson?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The return of Alan Grayson?  (Read 8413 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 01:27:11 AM »

You can tell BRTD isn't really involved in politics.

Uh, do you have any clue how much doorknocking and phonebanking I did this season? Probably not as much as you (as I have a non-political job taking up much of my time as well), but a hell of a lot. I even woke up before 8AM on Election Day for that.

I can't tell if you're saying this as a joke or seriously...

Uh, I'm serious. Do you have any clue how insufferable it is for me to get up before 8? Hell before 9 is bad enough. I had to come in at 9:30AM today because I bribed this guy to trade shifts with me so I could leave before 8:30 and go to my show and it was HELL. I felt like I was going to fall asleep for the whole first half of work. I don't get up before 8AM unless it's IMPORTANT.

Of course you're serious. That's why it comes across as a joke to 90% of the rest of us.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Before you go into all of these positives, do you know anything about the local political structure? Do you know the feelings of the key players down there when it comes to Grayson? Stop thinking this is some slam dunk because you and a few other clowns worship the guy.

This has nothing to do with Grayson being a total jackass; it has to do with understanding why your idea might not be golden to local political players in Florida. I'm amazed even you can't understand that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 01:28:32 AM »

Yeah well who did local political players in the Delaware Republican Party want nominated?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 01:45:55 AM »

Yeah well who did local political players in the Delaware Republican Party want nominated?

Great argument.

By the way, your dream scenario would give the "new Grayson seat" a heavy black population, right? See why your plan hits another obvious roadblock?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 01:56:52 AM »

Great argument.

By the way, your dream scenario would give the "new Grayson seat" a heavy black population, right? See why your plan hits another obvious roadblock?

An Orlando-area seat would probably look something like this:

That seat is 47% white, 24% black and 24% Hispanic.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 02:11:36 AM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 10:29:31 AM »

Great argument.

White politicians can get elected to seats with high minority populations, TN-9 is proof of that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 11:56:05 AM »

It's not actually impossible.

Where does Suzanne Kosmas live? A two-former-Congresscritters-primary would be fun to behold.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »

It's not actually impossible.

Where does Suzanne Kosmas live? A two-former-Congresscritters-primary would be fun to behold.

On the coast.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 12:13:06 PM »

Boo.
-
KS21
Political Matrix
E: -0.97, S: -3.39

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »

Smiley That never gets old, Miles.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »

Great argument.

White politicians can get elected to seats with high minority populations, TN-9 is proof of that.

Sure, they can. It's not likely though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »

Great argument.

We're not talking about a majority black seat though. Only about 25%. You can't draw a majority black seat only in the Orlando area.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 01:51:52 AM »

Great argument.

We're not talking about a majority black seat though. Only about 25%. You can't draw a majority black seat only in the Orlando area.

Got it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 02:39:07 AM »

If Florida refuses to renominate Grayson if he runs, that just solidifies its status as the most epic fail joke of a state forever. Grayson is the best thing ever about Florida.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 02:44:25 AM »

If Florida refuses to renominate Grayson if he runs

Ah, yes, Florida At Large better re-nominate this guy!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »

If Florida refuses to renominate Grayson if he runs

Ah, yes, Florida At Large better re-nominate this guy!

Maybe he means the singer.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 01:47:15 AM »

The guy is done, sorry BRTD. He got beat by nearly thirty in a somewhat Democrat friendly district. He's to kooky to have a shot there again, sorry.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 01:48:04 AM »

The guy is done, sorry BRTD. He got beat by nearly thirty in a somewhat Democrat friendly district. He's to kooky to have a shot there again, sorry.

How is it Democratic-friendly? It's a gerrymandered monstrosity.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 01:52:32 AM »

18% as a freshman in a McCain district.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010, 03:35:29 PM »

Why wouldn't the Democrats nominate Grayson in a safely Democratic seat? Democrats LOVE Grayson.

if the new district were only plurality white wouldn't Grayson have difficulty beating a black in the Dem primary?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2010, 10:25:16 PM by What I wouldn't give for a million smaller problems »

Why wouldn't the Democrats nominate Grayson in a safely Democratic seat? Democrats LOVE Grayson.

if the new district were only plurality white wouldn't Grayson have difficulty beating a black in the Dem primary?

No. The seat would be about just under 50% white, 25% black and 25% Hispanic. Grayson would obviously get the Hispanic vote (it's not Cuban up there) against a black.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2010, 01:36:19 PM by What I wouldn't give for a million smaller problems »

BTW I just looked at the state legislators in the area to see who could beat Grayson. Let's see:

-The only Democratic State Senator in the area is a guy who was convicted of a felony for misuses of his office in his first term yet was re-elected anyway (amusingly this means he was not eligible to vote for himself in his re-election bid.) Yeah I think we can rule him out.

-State Rep. Geraldine Thompson, a black. The seat would only be about 25% black, so we can also rule her out. From her profile she doesn't seem like she'd be interested in running anyway, she showed more interest in a county-wide school board seat. And she's an old.

-State Rep. Darren Soto. Young guy (32), interesting background, half-Puerto Rican and half-Italian, has a not so bad legislative record, Wikipedia says:

However he also seems really occupied with the job he still keeps at a law firm. Eh, he doesn't seem particularly horrendous but not exactly all that impressive either. And does he even want to run?

-State Rep. Scott Randolph. Also a relatively young guy, though not as young as Soto (37). Beat an incumbent Republican in 2006 in a landslide, though the district contains downtown Orlando (I guess the minorities in Orlando live in ghettos separated from downtown if the area ever had a Republican rep. Not surprising.) His wiki article was obviously written by one of his staffers, but actually he does sound pretty awesome:

If we can't have Grayson, this guy would still be a pretty good stand-in. Then again the legislature also said that he applied for a vacant Orange County Commission seat citing stress from the Legislature. He only filed for re-election after being denied. If he finds the state legislature too stressful not sure if he'd want to move up to Congress. Plus I doubt he'd run just to deny Grayson his seat back.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »

Re: the last quote; what exactly is an "advanced procedural maneuver"?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 12:47:42 AM »

The performance of Perrielo vs Grayson made me realize something. Yes, people like some spine in their politicians, but they really don't like douchebags such as Grayson.

If a safe D Orlando district is created, the Democrats would be wise to pick someone who is not as much of a prick as Grayson though they can be just as liberal, if not more.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 12:56:12 AM »

The performance of Perrielo vs Grayson made me realize something. Yes, people like some spine in their politicians, but they really don't like douchebags such as Grayson.

If a safe D Orlando district is created, the Democrats would be wise to pick someone who is not as much of a prick as Grayson though they can be just as liberal, if not more.

This.  There's a difference between "Very Liberal" and "Obnoxiously Liberal", and Grayson is very much the latter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies