Spanish racism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:41:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spanish racism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Spanish racism  (Read 3550 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2004, 03:16:59 PM »

Pretty disgusting display from the Spanish fans in Madrid during yesterday's "friendly".  Monkey Noises and chants of if your not a F'ing black jump up and down are disgraceful and sadly this is not an isolated incident in football matches.  I have never been to Spain and dont know many Spaniards: Is this attitude prevalent in Spain or is this just the type of crap that comes out from football hooligan idiots?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 04:23:43 PM »

They didn't throw bananas onto the field?  That is an improvement then.
Tory

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:32:04 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2004, 04:36:31 PM by Ex-Tory »

It happens at most international matches, between nearly every country. Europeans spend so much time worring about others' racism that they tend to not look in the mirror. People in Europe are always on about how racist the U.S. is, yet I've never seen a sporting match in the U.S. where fans were shouting racist slurs.

I'm not saying Europe is more racist than anywhere else, Europeans just bottle it up so when it comes out it has a more violent tinge.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 04:35:33 PM »

It was just disgusting. The Spanish coach has made racist remarks in the past and didn't condemn this...

If he was the England coach he'd have been fired ages ago.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 04:53:55 PM »

It happens at most international matches, between nearly every country. Europeans spend so much time worring about others' racism that they tend to not look in the mirror. People in Europe are always on about how racist the U.S. is, yet I've never seen a sporting match in the U.S. where fans were shouting racist slurs.

I'm not saying Europe is more racist than anywhere else, Europeans just bottle it up so when it comes out it has a more violent tinge.

Exact opposite happens here also.  A few years back a pictcher named John Rocker for the Atlanta Braves made some racially insensitive remarks and generally disparaged New York's multiculturalism.  On his return visit to New York they needed extra security to keep the fans from killing the guy. 

Was it the Spanish national coach who called Thierry Henry a black sh*t?  I have read in the past about Madrid supporters in particular being pretty racist.  I know they also used to sing some ultra nationalist songs disparaging Catalonians and Basques.  England has gone a long way to stamp out this behavior and they should be applauded for it.  From what I understand in the late 1970's and 1980's there was a growing neo-nazi element among some supporters particularly Chelsea.  England acted and tried to stop the recruiting outisde of arenas etc. We will see if Spain follows suit.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 05:07:02 PM »

From what I understand in the late 1970's and 1980's there was a growing neo-nazi element among some supporters particularly Chelsea.  England acted and tried to stop the recruiting outisde of arenas etc. We will see if Spain follows suit.

Millwall and Chelsea used to have big neo-nazi followings... they've not completely gone away, but they aren't tolerated any more.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 05:13:22 PM »

From what I understand in the late 1970's and 1980's there was a growing neo-nazi element among some supporters particularly Chelsea.  England acted and tried to stop the recruiting outisde of arenas etc. We will see if Spain follows suit.

Millwall and Chelsea used to have big neo-nazi followings... they've not completely gone away, but they aren't tolerated any more.

Weren't these Chelsea fans called the Headhunters?   Pretty anti-Irish amongst many other things from what I understand.  Frined of mine form Twickenham said that at Chelsea-Tottenham mathces there used to be chants of "yiddo" against the supposed Jewish supporters of Tottenham.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 05:15:27 PM »

Weren't these Chelsea fans called the Headhunters?   Pretty anti-Irish amongst many other things from what I understand.  Frined of mine form Twickenham said that at Chelsea-Tottenham mathces there used to be chants of "yiddo" against the supposed Jewish supporters of Tottenham.

Headhunters. Yep. That was it. I was trying to forget them actually...
Confabulator
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 05:43:15 PM »

They were fascists for quite a while, weren't they?
Tory

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 06:33:15 PM »

Was it the Spanish national coach who called Thierry Henry a black sh*t?  I have read in the past about Madrid supporters in particular being pretty racist.  I know they also used to sing some ultra nationalist songs disparaging Catalonians and Basques.

I'm not sure about the managers comments.

Real's supporters aren't particularly racist. They tend to be more conservative than your average Spaniard, which they catch a load of garbage for. The European left automatically associates anything conservative with racism. And the songs that you refer to are no worse than those sung at Bilbao(Basque) or Barca(Catalonian) matches(except those are revolutionary and aimed towards the Castilians).
Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 07:01:30 PM »

All just part of the utopia that Opebo raves about so much.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 07:38:27 PM »

What a stupid sport.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 07:40:57 PM »

Rocker never made any "racial remarks". His views on New York were accurate, to say the least.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 08:45:53 PM »

Rocker never made any "racial remarks". His views on New York were accurate, to say the least.

So we know where you stand: Do you agree with these comments StatesRights?

"The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners," Rocker said. "I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

"Imagine having to take the 7 train to Shea stadium looking like your in Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with aids, right next to some dude who got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20 year old mom with four kids.  Its depressing."

He called Randall Simon a "fat monkey"

Xenophobic, homophobic and racist. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 08:48:25 PM »

So we know where you stand: Do you agree with these comments StatesRights?

"The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners," Rocker said. "I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

"Imagine having to take the 7 train to Shea stadium looking like your in Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with aids, right next to some dude who got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20 year old mom with four kids.  Its depressing."

He called Randall Simon a "fat monkey"

Xenophobic, homophobic and racist. 

Don't agree with the first. Sort of agree with the second. Don't know who randall simon is. But I do know he made fun of Yankees often and that's what I likdd about him.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 08:58:27 PM »

Randall Simon was the Braves black first baseman.  A fat monkey according to the ignorant John Rocker.  He may have attacked "Yankees: but he is the type of ignorant, intolerant caricature that give Southerners a bad name.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 09:24:55 PM »

Racism?  Who cares?  This is more damn political correctness.  Words won't hurt you.  I'm sure of that.  Your team are full of adults that know better.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 09:41:32 PM »

Racism?  Who cares?  This is more damn political correctness.  Words won't hurt you.  I'm sure of that.  Your team are full of adults that know better.

Must disagree with you Richius. Making monkey and ape sounds when a black player is on the ball is not politically incorrect.  It is just plain wrong.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 10:06:48 PM »

Words don't hurt you? Wow, man, I am so calling you after next time I have to talk to tech support.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2004, 10:09:53 PM »

Words don't hurt you? Wow, man, I am so calling you after next time I have to talk to tech support.
I would hang up.  I have a remarkable ability to ignore people that I find irrelevant.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 10:18:04 PM »

I would hang up.  I have a remarkable ability to ignore people that I find irrelevant.

It's more or less a truth that psychologically it is impossible to ignore certain comments. Even if totally untrue, we are affected by negative comments. Type B personality-type people are more likely to be immune, but it's impossible to be entirely unaffected.

Racism should not be defended by saying the affected person doesn't have tough enough skin. No one has skin that tough.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 10:21:40 PM »

You can call me a whitey all you want, I won't be affected.  Call me Canuck all you want, I won't take offense. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 10:24:08 PM »

You can call me a whitey all you want, I won't be affected.  Call me Canuck all you want, I won't take offense. Smiley

If "Canuck whitey" was even remotely offensive. Wink

But, seriously, you know as well as everyone knows I'm sure that comparing racism against whites with that against blacks from a historical perspective is unfair. There is still major, organized racism against blacks (and some against whites, too). However, to a limited extent, I suppose it is an American cultural thing.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2004, 10:36:04 PM »

You can call me anything you want.  Use any racial slur that is appropiate (I mean, calling me a chink just won't do it, because it isn't even accurate).  I won't get offended.

And I disagree with you.  You don't need thick skin to withstand some criticism.  This basically what it comes down to.  They're criticising your race.  So what?  That isn't any different from criticising someone's intelligence (Bush is stupid anyone?) or athletic ability (you're fat hahahahaha).  All you need is to ignore them.  *shrug*

This is, of course, not welcome, but it hardly warrants such publicity.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004, 11:18:01 PM »

While I wouldn't support calls to censor these people, I don't really think it's a stretch to expect some basic common decency.  Racial slurs are just words by themselves, but the hatred that's behind them is not terribly pleasant.  Some people can just shrug them off, but others are very hurt by them no matter how hard they try not to let it get to them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies