World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:18:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Poll
Question: Which sites would you like to see selected to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups? Please pick one of the first four options for 2018 and one of the last five for 2022.
Belgium and The Netherlands

England

Spain and Portugal

Russia

Australia

Japan

Qatar

South Korea

United States

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection  (Read 31842 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »

Qatar? Lol. Deary dear. Without a doubt that the stadia will be spanking new, structurally sound, designed according to the latest fashion, very expensive, and completed on time, but that's hardly the only thing to go by, is it?

I might have voted for Russia myself (see above, this thread), but then I have perverse taste. (Oh, also - it's not much of a surprise; England was "favored", but not heavily favored; Russia would have payed the second shortest odds.)

And apparently there's the off chance Temarii gets today's events thrown out in court anyhow (because he was excluded from the vote without due process, just because he's evidently guilty as all hell; and these later-revealed folks weren't. Lol.) , which would of course be FIFA Nuclear Meltdown. And thus won't happen.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2010, 12:16:03 PM by fierce bad gobsh!te »

Of course, the US is not immune to corruption- see 2002 Olympics but this one smells.
IIRC they're usually considered round about tied with France for second most corrupt major western country (behind Italy o/c.)

EDIT: I suppose Spain counts as major, so make that third. Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »

Is there any way for every country to leave FIFA and start a new governing body for soccer?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »

Russia is due a world cup and I don't really have too much of a problem with it.  That doesn't mean I would want to go there...  

Obviously you haven't met many Russian ladies. Wink
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »

Good, this gives me yet another excuse to go to Russia again for the 4th time in my life Smiley

Qatar on the other hand..lol
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2010, 12:46:49 PM »

Clearly won by dubious means, but a reasonable case could certainly have been made.
Any evidence or its the old "Russia never wins anything fairly" routine?

Putin already has the puppets out defending the victory...
Oh, you caught me. Of course the Russian government is paying people like me to defend them on random American forums, it's not as if a sane person would think it possible that Russia could win without bribery Wink

Clearly won by dubious means, but a reasonable case could certainly have been made.
Any evidence or its the old "Russia never wins anything fairly" routine?

Why would I go down that road when I'm not a Russophobe? Fifa is institutionally corrupt, as is the Russian government. Two plus two usually equals four, though I'll admit that I'm no good at maths. I'm not even especially annoyed at Russia getting it, tbh.

Qatar though...
Just because something is possible, doesn't mean that it has clearly happened. When one considers that Blatter frowns on multiple country bids and his bad relations with the FA, Russia winning doesn't seem unlikely (of course, this involves Blatter manipulating the decision, which is as worse).
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »

Russia is due a world cup and I don't really have too much of a problem with it.  That doesn't mean I would want to go there...  

Yes, Russian women are attractive.  However, I'd be more concerned with getting my head caved in by some vodka soaked yob.  Perhaps it is too much internet but so much of the violent stuff I see originates in Russia. I would like to visit one day but I wouldnt want it to be in a world cup atmosphere.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2010, 12:56:05 PM »

Yes, Russian women are attractive.  However, I'd be more concerned with getting my head caved in by some vodka soaked yob.  Perhaps it is too much internet but so much of the violent stuff I see originates in Russia. I would like to visit one day but I wouldnt want it to be in a world cup atmosphere.

Yeah, because being mugged by a crack addict never happens in big US cities. Roll Eyes

I lived five years at an eastern Europe capital and nobody ever touched me.
Believe me, Hostel was not based on a true story.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2010, 01:17:06 PM »

Wow...England got crushed...

2018 BidsRd1Rd2
Russia913
Spain/Portugal77
Belguim/Netherlands42
England2-

But not quite as badly as Australia did...

2022 BidsRd1Rd2Rd3Rd4
Qatar11101114
USA3568
South Korea455-
Japan32--
Australia1---
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2010, 01:18:37 PM »

Yeah, because being mugged by a crack addict never happens in big US cities. Roll Eyes

I lived five years at an eastern Europe capital and nobody ever touched me.
Believe me, Hostel was not based on a true story.

I said nothing about Eastern Europe, I said nothing about Hostel,  I am talking about Russia and the world cup.
-Russia has a pretty rampant alcohol problem.  Youth gangs in Russia are also fond of organizing fights over their favorite football teams and thus has a strong hooligan element . Throw in a few hundred thousand drunken foreign tourist into that mix and that is a place I don't want to be.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2010, 01:47:55 PM »

Here are some fun facts about Qatar!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/qatar

Good job, you corrupt idiots.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »

^As part of the bid they said they would set up drinking tents for the infidels.  I doubt they will drop their stance on the gheys.   
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »

^As part of the bid they said they would set up drinking tents for the infidels.  I doubt they will drop their stance on the gheys.   

Well that means half the players there are going to be mighty uncomfortable.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »

So, basically, unlike The United States, South Korea, Japan, and Australia, you can't do anything fun in Qatar. Other than watch soccer. If that even counts as "fun."
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2010, 02:30:13 PM »

Russia... I get.  Ok, I'm fine with it, give them a chance to show off on the world stage.

Qatar... this is ridiculous.  It's a tiny country with a population of under 2 million with ridiculous laws against having any fun.  Jesus, you might as well have selected South Jersey to host the FIFA World Cup, and that would be more fun! 

Corrupt bastards.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »

I would have to say that giving Qatar the World Cup is probably the worst decision FIFA ever made, it even beats the 1954 tournament system.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »

I would have to say that giving Qatar the World Cup is probably the worst decision FIFA ever made, it even beats the 1954 tournament system.

Isn't it all about $$$$$$$$$$  ??
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »

Isn't it all about $$$$$$$$$$  ??

Yes, but only those under the table, in brown envelopes, in suitcases and in fistfuls shoved under the doors of public toilets.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »

A World Cup in Qatar? This is going to be fun...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2010, 04:18:48 PM »

To be fair, there have been a lot of countries with serious issues that have hosted World Cups in the past. 1934 and 1978 were both held under the auspices of out-and-out dictatorships, and 1970 and 1986 were organized by the PRI regime in Mexico. Then again, none of those places had large-scale slavery.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »

FIFA has long reached self-parody level. This clinches it. Can we even say it is as corrupt as the IOC? I know thatīs hard but...
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »

I guess if we are ever to host a World Cup, we must only become impoverished but forget we were ever signatories of the UDHR.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »

Here's an article with speculation about possible reasons for FIFA's decision.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-Issues/2010/1202/Five-things-Russia-and-Qatar-did-right-to-win-World-Cup-bids/Infrastructure
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2010, 06:01:13 PM »

Quite aside from any off-pitch issues, it also means this gang automatically get one of the thirty-two spots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLvoT6TlRec&feature=related
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »

I am obviously still pissed at these totally laughable picks but two things I'll give to Qatar: the stadia look really cool and I like the scenery (not that I can see myself making the trip there. Then again, it's twelve years down the road so who knows what could happen...). Their social laws really wouldn't affect me anyway so I'm not whining about that.  Tongue

The Russian selection probably doesn't irritate me more than Qatar because Qatar screwed out the only bidder I really cared about but it pisses me off that Russia beat out two clearly better potential hosts.

These two picks should end the silly feel good, history making host selections but since this is a joke organization, 2026 could produce another head shaking announcement. Maybe they'll give the games to Cuba since the Castro's will be gone!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies