World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:52:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Poll
Question: Which sites would you like to see selected to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups? Please pick one of the first four options for 2018 and one of the last five for 2022.
Belgium and The Netherlands

England

Spain and Portugal

Russia

Australia

Japan

Qatar

South Korea

United States

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: World Cup 2018 and 2022: Site Selection  (Read 31353 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:38:14 AM »

We're just a week away from the big day. We can use this thread as a general discussion area and to voice our opinions on the process, who we support as hosts, etc.

I'm hoping for Spain and Portugal as hosts for World Cup 2018 for weather and scenic reasons followed by England. I obviously support the U.S. for 2022 but if we can't get it, I want Qatar. I originally supported Australia if we couldn't get it but I'll take the 100°+ heat in Qatar over another Winter World Cup.

As for South Korea, they are now almost certainly out of the running to host because of the crisis. From a Soccer standpoint, I'm thrilled about that (not that they were going to get it anyway).

Most recent news has Qatar getting a boost because Zidane did some ad on their behalf.  Roll Eyes
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:41:36 AM »

England and the US.

I'd like to see Australia host a tournament but the match schedule would be awful.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 03:44:58 AM »

Belgium/Netherlands and USA.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 03:47:47 AM »

USA and England
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 03:50:29 AM »

I like the most exotic places, so I voted for Qatar and South Korea.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 03:51:44 AM »

You are voting for Qatar? Wow. Zidane's video about accepting the Muslim world must have really worked.

By the way, you didn't follow the instructions. You voted for two candidates trying to host the same tournament (2022). You should have voted for one of them and one of the top four for 2018.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 03:53:03 AM »

Isn't alcohol banned in Qatar? I'm sure that would go over well with normal people
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 03:55:04 AM »

Isn't alcohol banned in Qatar? I'm sure that would go over well with normal people

They discussed how that might be an issue - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/nov/25/world-cup-2022-qatar-fifa
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 04:05:14 AM »

They discussed how that might be an issue - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/nov/25/world-cup-2022-qatar-fifa

yeah, that's dumb. USA and England guarantee a good time for everyone; why unnecessarily try to be 'edgy' and make things awkward?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 04:08:37 AM »

yeah, that's dumb. USA and England guarantee a good time for everyone; why unnecessarily try to be 'edgy' and make things awkward?

Because FIFA is more interested in making silly political statements these days.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 07:18:06 AM »

Well, Qatar would be nice because all the stadiums are right next to each other, unlike a ridiculous country like USA or Russia where games would be played in stadiums hundreds of miles apart.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 10:04:39 AM »

Because FIFA is more interested in making silly political statements these days.

More to the point, it is literally a criminal conspiracy and Qatar has lots of $$$$$$$$.
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 10:20:37 AM »

Spain and Portugal Smiley

I'm pessimistic and  think it goes to 2018 to the USA and 2022 to England
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 11:12:22 AM »

I don't care, obviously, but Qatar would be neat, and the USA should always win any contest.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »

Why does FIFA select host sites for two tournaments at once? Picking them separately seems like an easy fix for Sepp Blatter's "inevitable" collusion.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »

England and the US.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 12:15:45 PM »

Well, Qatar would be nice because all the stadiums are right next to each other, unlike a ridiculous country like USA or Russia where games would be played in stadiums hundreds of miles apart.

Yeah, that is cool but why in the world do they have so many stadiums already or did they figure, "we have so much money that we can just blow it on stadium construction for 2022...even if we don't host the tournament."?

Why does FIFA select host sites for two tournaments at once? Picking them separately seems like an easy fix for Sepp Blatter's "inevitable" collusion.

No idea why they are doing it at once but plenty of people have suggested that they be held separately.

That can't happen. The U.S. isn't bidding for 2018 anymore and no European country is bidding for 2022.  Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »

Russia Tongue for the first set, NOTA for the second.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 01:56:19 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2010, 01:58:21 PM by she was like wine turned to water then turned back to wine »

You are voting for Qatar? Wow. Zidane's video about accepting the Muslim world must have really worked.

By the way, you didn't follow the instructions. You voted for two candidates trying to host the same tournament (2022). You should have voted for one of them and one of the top four for 2018.

Nah I just like the idea of the most faraway place having it. Lief had a good point, though then again so did Boris, of course I'm sure they'd lift the ban for tourists at least in exchange for this.

As for the second part I didn't read the whole thing as I was really tired. I guess I'll vote for Belgium and the Netherlands in hope of the Netherlands simply to drive you up the wall (on the other hand I'm sure there is nothing you'd love more than Italy beating the Netherlands on their home turf)

The US and Australia really aren't viable countries due to sheer size. Russia is kind of borderline, the part where people live is much smaller than the whole thing. But even that part is perhaps a bit too large.
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 02:02:45 PM »

That can't happen. The U.S. isn't bidding for 2018 anymore and no European country is bidding for 2022.  Tongue

Then England 2018 and the USA 2022. This is quite the same and bad for Portugal Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »

I guess I'll vote for Belgium and the Netherlands in hope of the Netherlands simply to drive you up the wall (on the other hand I'm sure there is nothing you'd love more than Italy beating the Netherlands on their home turf)

Actually, despite the result in the Final, Belgium and The Netherlands hosted one of the best Soccer tournaments ever - Euro 2000. That tournament included what you mentioned in the second part of your statement - Italy beating The Netherlands in an epic Semi final on their home turf. It's the main reason I started following the Azzurri. I was in Italy for the first time during that game and the Final.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are you unfamiliar with the 1994 World Cup hosted by the U.S.? Again, despite an unfortunate result in the Final, it is regarded as one of the best World Cups ever. It has been unmatched in terms of attendance, too. The major "problem", ironically enough, was the heat.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »

Are you unfamiliar with the 1994 World Cup hosted by the U.S.? Again, despite an unfortunate result in the Final, it is regarded as one of the best World Cups ever.

Really? Who by? I mean, I can see why the Federation Internationale de Mammon and Kickbacks might have loved it, but I remember it quite well and it, basically, sucked.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »

Are you unfamiliar with the 1994 World Cup hosted by the U.S.? Again, despite an unfortunate result in the Final, it is regarded as one of the best World Cups ever.

Really? Who by? I mean, I can see why the Federation Internationale de Mammon and Kickbacks might have loved it, but I remember it quite well and it, basically, sucked.

It was a good one, with lots of goals and some pretty memorable games. Certainly far better than the travesties of 2002 and 2006.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 05:15:43 PM »

It was a good one, with lots of goals and some pretty memorable games. Certainly far better than the travesties of 2002 and 2006.

Haha. 2002 was so bad that I sometimes forget who won it.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »

Nah I just like the idea of the most faraway place having it. Lief had a good point, though then again so did Boris, of course I'm sure they'd lift the ban for tourists at least in exchange for this.

As for the second part I didn't read the whole thing as I was really tired. I guess I'll vote for Belgium and the Netherlands in hope of the Netherlands simply to drive you up the wall (on the other hand I'm sure there is nothing you'd love more than Italy beating the Netherlands on their home turf)

The US and Australia really aren't viable countries due to sheer size. Russia is kind of borderline, the part where people live is much smaller than the whole thing. But even that part is perhaps a bit too large.

...Australia's population density.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies