111th House of Reps vs. 112th House of Reps Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:00:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  111th House of Reps vs. 112th House of Reps Maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 111th House of Reps vs. 112th House of Reps Maps  (Read 2568 times)
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2010, 12:01:40 AM »

This is the map for the 111th House of Reps

This is the map for the 112th House of Reps

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »

This is the one instance where I break my allegiance to the Atlas color system and prefer Red-Republican, and Blue for Democratic. It just looks more pleasant in my opinion.

Full Disclosure, My Pictures file is filled with such maps using that color style for every election going back to 1874.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 12:42:25 AM »

that's quite a change, esp. in the midwest and interior southwest - only NM and IA are left as non-coastal states with majority Dem US house representation.
nice maps, though i will say that the second one with all that blue is quite a bit easier on the eyes Wink
Nichlemn

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:17:09 AM »

that's quite a change, esp. in the midwest and interior southwest - only NM and IA are left as non-coastal states with majority Dem US house representation.
nice maps, though i will say that the second one with all that blue is quite a bit easier on the eyes Wink

Interestingly, they were the only two Gore 00/Bush 04 states. NH, the other outlier in its region, was the only Bush 00/Kerry 04 state. You'd think they'd go the other way around.

Also notable is the fact that the Republicans picked up the majority in 18 House delegations and lost 1 (in DE). They turned MN into a tie but lost a tie in HA. This is a considerably bigger state swing than any other major metric.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »

Interestingly, they were the only two Gore 00/Bush 04 states. NH, the other outlier in its region, was the only Bush 00/Kerry 04 state. You'd think they'd go the other way around.

Also notable is the fact that the Republicans picked up the majority in 18 House delegations and lost 1 (in DE). They turned MN into a tie but lost a tie in HA. This is a considerably bigger state swing than any other major metric.

Hawaii is HI.
-
KS21
Political Matrix
E: -0.97, S: -3.39

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »

A lot can change in two years.
rbt48

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »

Full Disclosure, My Pictures file is filled with such maps using that color style for every election going back to 1874.

Please explain how I can access you pictures file, if possible.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 06:37:59 PM »

That is a stark contrast.  It shows what kind of year the Republicans had.  The midwest, interior south, and the southwest all had shifts towards the Republicans. 

I'm suprised at Nevada, really.  They re-elected Harry Reid by a little more comfortable margin than the polls indicated, but the Democrats lost the majority in what I perceived to be the fastest Democratic swinging state in the Southwest.  Was Sharron Angle really that bad?  I know my relatives who live in Las Vegas, who are staunch conservatives, did not really care for Angle and thought the establishment candidate would have been better.  Still I'm suprised at Nevada.  Can someone (maybe, Joe) kind of enlighten me on Nevada, because it seems to me that if the House goes Republican than the Democratic Senator isn't on easy street, either.

Of course, I do realize that overall the Democrats had a less-damaging night in the Senate than the polls indicated ending up with a 6 seat advantage as opposed to a 1-3 seat advantage as the polls indicated on Monday, November 1.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 11:57:41 PM »

That is a stark contrast.  It shows what kind of year the Republicans had.  The midwest, interior south, and the southwest all had shifts towards the Republicans. 

I'm suprised at Nevada, really.  They re-elected Harry Reid by a little more comfortable margin than the polls indicated, but the Democrats lost the majority in what I perceived to be the fastest Democratic swinging state in the Southwest.  Was Sharron Angle really that bad?  I know my relatives who live in Las Vegas, who are staunch conservatives, did not really care for Angle and thought the establishment candidate would have been better.  Still I'm suprised at Nevada.  Can someone (maybe, Joe) kind of enlighten me on Nevada, because it seems to me that if the House goes Republican than the Democratic Senator isn't on easy street, either.

Of course, I do realize that overall the Democrats had a less-damaging night in the Senate than the polls indicated ending up with a 6 seat advantage as opposed to a 1-3 seat advantage as the polls indicated on Monday, November 1.
NV is a 3 district state, so the GOP pickup of NV-3 was all that was needed to shift the house delegation from 2/3 Dem to 2/3 Rep. This was a close race too - only about 2K vote difference. Also, candidate selection does matter - the difference between Angle's loss and Sandoval's win shows that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »

This is a seats map. A popular vote (in house races) map would have been interesting.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 09:06:29 AM »

Interesting to compare it with the PV map.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »

Its amazing that Democrats still control NC's delegation.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »

Well, this will probably be the last time for a while.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »

Only because they gerrymandered it to where it's nearly impossible for them not too. I expect Republicans to control the delegation after 2012.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 04:55:46 AM »

Only because they gerrymandered it to where it's nearly impossible for them not too.
No - they gerrymandered it so as to control six seats even while trailing by a long way. They control the delegation because both Shuler and Kissell (in different ways) somehow inoculated against the wave. Or maybe just had pisspoor opponents, I dunno. (But, well, yeah on post 2012.)
Dgov
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »

Only because they gerrymandered it to where it's nearly impossible for them not too.
No - they gerrymandered it so as to control six seats even while trailing by a long way. They control the delegation because both Shuler and Kissell (in different ways) somehow inoculated against the wave. Or maybe just had pisspoor opponents, I dunno. (But, well, yeah on post 2012.)

I'm pretty sure they targeted the 8th (it contains heavily Democratic parts of Charlotte and Fayette for no real reason other than to make it more Democrat) and it just took until 2008 for them to actually win it.

but yeah, expect that to end in 2012.  The Democrats will probably lose 2 seats there just by drawing a fair map (8th and 13th), and 3-4 if the Republicans draw their own gerrymander.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 07:19:08 PM »

Both of which had highly competitive house races where the Republicans only barely missed out on winning their delegations.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 12:47:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure they targeted the 8th (it contains heavily Democratic parts of Charlotte and Fayette for no real reason other than to make it more Democrat) and it just took until 2008 for them to actually win it.

but yeah, expect that to end in 2012.  The Democrats will probably lose 2 seats there just by drawing a fair map (8th and 13th), and 3-4 if the Republicans draw their own gerrymander.

The Republicans did challenge the 8th but the Republican candidate was some sports journalist or something and he was painted as an elitist that will what few jobs you have left to China. He was actually the better candidate in the primary runoff because the other guy was nuts.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies