Cobb and Badnaik move forward
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:08:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Cobb and Badnaik move forward
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cobb and Badnaik move forward  (Read 2843 times)
Whacker77

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »

According to the Clevland Plain Dealer, democrat plants, Cobb and Badnarik, have raised enough money for a statewide recount of Ohio.  A little more than $113,000 is needed, but Ken Blackwell said that a recount would cost the state around $1.5 million.  The two democrat frontmen said they aren't trying to overturn Bush's victory in Ohio.  Merely, they just want the public to know that every vote was counted.  Barf!!!

The two Democrat moles have yet to annouce their intentions for a recount in Pennsylvania or Wisconsin.  Afterall, those states were won by Kerry.  Those states obviously conducted themselves in the utmost esteem while Ohio cheated the night away.  Senator Kerry conceded the race on November 3, but that news hasn't swayed 24 vote getter, Michael Cobb.

I'm totally dismayed by this kook fest in Ohio.  Bush won the state and not one sane person believes otherwise.  Yes, the provisional ballots are still out ther, but they probably won't make a significant difference.  I don't fear a recount, but I'm tired of the nonsense.  This is not Florida in 2000.  The country doesn't need a refresher course on hanging chads.

It is my honest hope that common sense prevails with Badnarik.  Once the state has been certified, I hope he realizes the stupidity of the cause.  I also hope that the state of Ohio says no to the recount request.  The costs are too high considering there is no way that the outcome will be changed.  The election is over, the votes have been counted, and both sides agree.  It's time for Nader and the rest of his kooky coharts to find other avenues of dissent.
Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:31:21 PM »

You shouldn't even consider a recount, until all the votes have been counted.  When all the provisional and absentee ballots are counted Bush may have increase his lead.

Would a recount seem unreasonable if Bush wins by 150,000? 175,000?  200,000?  Is there an amount that would preclude a recount, at least in the eyes of those wishing it?  And would the cry for a recount suddenly disappear if Kerry should end up leading by 1,000?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 01:59:26 PM »

Wow! In one post you managed to dis three of the four alternative presidential candidates who received over 100,000 votes nationwide. How did you miss Peroutka?

Yeah, I gaurantee Peroutka took votes from Bush and only Bush, as opposed to Badnarik, Cobb, and Nader all took at least some votes from Kerry. So, why isn't Peroutka a 'democratic frontman'. I'm not saying I agree with the recount or anything(that money would be better spent on the LP), but the tone of the original post is nothing more than spiteful. Just because someone does something you disagree with does not make them frontmen for the Democrats.
Whacker77

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 03:46:24 PM »

You're exactly right.  I am questioning the intentions of Mr. Cobb.  He received just 24 votes in the state of Ohio.  That's right, just 24 votes.  Yet he wants to tie the state up in a useless and expensive recount that will do nothing to change the outcome of the state.  He claims to have an idealistic goal, but make no mistake about his intentions.  He and silent Kerry supporters are hoping to cast whatever doubt they might find on the election of Bush. 

There is nothing noble about Cobb's aim.  Bush received more than 2.5 million votes to Cobb's 24 votes.  What reason does he have to want a recount?  If he believes the votes were unfairly counted on election night, why does he feel that will change in a recount?  The answer has nothing to do with the fairness of the vote count.  This is an attempt by an egotistical fringe candidate to exhibit power.  It's quite Napoleanic when you think about it.

Unless cooler heads prevail, there will be a recount in the state of Ohio.  It will prove nothing, but it will stoke the fires of Jesse Jackson and other left-wing partisans.  The first two weeks of December will be spent watching election officials debate spoiled ballots and hanging chads.  What a wonderful and unifying impression.  I suppose this is how Cobb and the Green's believe the country can be united.  First, have George Soros fund a useless recount.  Second, create havoc where none exists.  Third, fray the public along party lines.

What wonderful and unifying message from the Green party and their kook representative.  I gues this is there holiday gift to the country.  I would say Christmas gift but I wouldn't want to offend anyone.
DaleC76
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 03:47:45 PM »

What are the laws on this?  Can anyone force a recount if they raise enough money?
Cashcow

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 04:09:22 PM »

You... hope... that Ohio dismisses the recount? Oh no! Democracy!

If anyone wants a recount, and has enough money, it should happen. Yes, in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin too. I honestly don't see why all states won by less than a 5% margin aren't recounted, because we have until January to do it.
Sulfur
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 04:13:20 PM »

Ohio legislature is GOP held. A recount is amusing, but not consequential.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 04:34:20 PM »

This is for press coverage, obviously.  They both did not get many votes at all; therefore, they have to get it some other way.

And I have no problem with that Smiley (Though I hope this recount 'fails'... hopefully just starting it is enough)
ill ind

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 04:39:12 PM »

This is sheer lunacy!!!

I post as an independent on here, but truthfully, I did not support President Bush's reelection.  That being said, however I accept that he was reelected.  It hurts to lose, but soembody has to.  In this case it was Mr Kerry.  I accept that Geo Bush will be President for the next 4 years.  End of story.  Too bad many partisan Democrats can not bring themselves to accept this.

There is no way I can see that a recount can make up 130,00 votes.

Interestingly Mr Cobb's campaign raised more money in 5 days for this recount than they did in the entire campaign before the election.  Either there must be some Greens with deep pockets who believe he can overcome the Bush 2.5 million to 24 vote margin over Cobb, or somebody else is paying for it!!!!

I don't know what Badnarik has to do with it except lending his name.  Perhaps he was tapped to put his name on this because he was actually on the Ohio ballot, where Cobb wasn't.

All and all this whole thing really smacks of sour grapes on the part of the Dems.

Ill Ind
Cashcow

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 04:42:26 PM »

Which is why Kerry is making the right decision to stay out of it. He knows he lost, and he's moved on.
Whacker77

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 04:58:41 PM »

I just want it understood that I have no problem with those who associate with the Green Party or any other third party.  I do have a problem with Cobb and his intentions though.  He wasn't able in six months to raise the money he did in six days.  I'm sure the money trail is fishy but not illegal.  Having said that, I hope the Ken Blackwell and the state of Ohio say no Cobb and his money.

In 2002, John Thune lost by 500 votes yet did not ask for a recount.  In that same year, Jean Carnahan lost by 20,000 votes in Missouri but didn't ask for a recount.  The govenor of Alabama also lost and considered a pointless recount.  Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and he conceded.  In all these cases, recounts were avoided because the losers knew the consequences.  Even John Thune didn't challenge the wacky Indian vote in South Dakota.

Recounts are fine if they serve genuine and necessary purpose.  In this case, that is not so.  Bush won by about 130,000 votes.  No recount will overturn that.  Cobb has no realistic prospects of winning.  If anything, Kerry should be the one requesting a recount, but he isn't.  I probably wouldn't care much about a recount if it didn't involve spoiled ballots.  As I have said before, the country doesn't need another trip to hanging chad land.

I hope Democrats of fair mindedness and stature persuade Cobb and Badnarik to refrain from their request.  Let the country move forward.  Rather than spend that money on hanging chads, donate it to the families of soldiers and marines killed while fighting in Iraq.  Now there's a noble cause worthy of donated money.
Whacker77

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 05:17:08 PM »

Just another note to this story.  I have just read that Ohio is now saying that the $10 per precinct number is just a filing fee for the candidate.  The candidate would also still need to pay for the entire recount process.  Ken Blackwell stated earlier that a recount would cost the state $1.5 million dollars.  I don't know if the Greens can afford that price tag.  It sounds like George Soros will need to come to the rescue.

By the way, I'm not sure if this story is true or not.  If anyone has information, please pass it on to the board.
kevinatcausa
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 09:20:09 PM »

I believe this is the first time I have ever seen the Libertarian party dismissed as a "Democrat Mole".
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 11:02:55 PM »

You're exactly right.  I am questioning the intentions of Mr. Cobb.  He received just 24 votes in the state of Ohio.  That's right, just 24 votes.  Yet he wants to tie the state up in a useless and expensive recount that will do nothing to change the outcome of the state.  He claims to have an idealistic goal, but make no mistake about his intentions.  He and silent Kerry supporters are hoping to cast whatever doubt they might find on the election of Bush. 

There is nothing noble about Cobb's aim.  Bush received more than 2.5 million votes to Cobb's 24 votes.  What reason does he have to want a recount?  If he believes the votes were unfairly counted on election night, why does he feel that will change in a recount?  The answer has nothing to do with the fairness of the vote count.  This is an attempt by an egotistical fringe candidate to exhibit power.  It's quite Napoleanic when you think about it.

Unless cooler heads prevail, there will be a recount in the state of Ohio.  It will prove nothing, but it will stoke the fires of Jesse Jackson and other left-wing partisans.  The first two weeks of December will be spent watching election officials debate spoiled ballots and hanging chads.  What a wonderful and unifying impression.  I suppose this is how Cobb and the Green's believe the country can be united.  First, have George Soros fund a useless recount.  Second, create havoc where none exists.  Third, fray the public along party lines.

What wonderful and unifying message from the Green party and their kook representative.  I gues this is there holiday gift to the country.  I would say Christmas gift but I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Obviously Cobb must be trying to win Ohio. There can be no other possibility.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 12:42:38 PM »

What are the laws on this?  Can anyone force a recount if they raise enough money?

From the original news article I read, it said they had to raise $10 per precinct, which equates to about $113,600.  (Didn't realize they had that many precincts in Ohio.)  The article can be found here.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 07:13:31 AM »

Any candidate has standing to file for a recount in any precinct.  There are no requirements other than being a candidate for the office being recounted.

There is also a provision for a mandatory recount in a statewide race that is closer than 0.25%.  This does not apply since, Bush's margin is about 10 times that.

The candidate filing for the recount must deposit $10 per precinct that is recounted.  Each county election board determines its costs for conducting the recount and divides by the number of precincts to determine a per precinct charge.  This is limited be between $5 and $10 per precinct.  Any difference between the $10 depost and the cost per precinct is returned to the candidate who filed for the recount (this is not a joke, it's the law).

If a recount candidate increases his vote total by 4% in a precinct, the recount for that precinct is free.  If a recount candidate takes the lead after the recount, the whole recount is free.

Bush, Kerry, Badnarik, and Peroutka were on the ballot in Ohio.   Nader was on the ballot, but then was riuled off it.  There was a space where his name would have been on at least some ballots and he is listed as "Candidate Disqualifed" on the canvass report.  In addition Ohio permits a candidate to file as write-in candidate.  In addition to Cobb, there were 5 others.  Presidential write-in candidates are required to file a slate of electors (20 for Ohio).

According to unofficial results on the Secretary of State's web site, Cobb received 24 votes statewide.    The 5-other write-in candidates collectively received a total of 24 votes statewide (including 2 who receive 0 votes).  So that means 48 votes for 120 elector candidates.

Of Cobb's votes, only 7 came from a county with a large city in it.  He received 7 from Montgomery (Dayton).  He did not receive any votes in Hamilton (Cincinnati), Frankilin (Columbus), Lucas (Toledo), Cuyahoga (Cleveland), Summit (Akron) or Trumbull (Youngstown).

A filing for a recount may not occur until the final statewide canvas is compelte (it hasn't yet).   All candidates will be informed of the time and place of the recount, and are entitled to have representatives.  It will be interesting if Cobb can find enough people.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies