US House Redistricting: Maryland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:05:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Maryland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Maryland  (Read 66513 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »

Considering how pathetic the GOP is at winning even McCain districts on the local level in Maryland, I don't see them taking a 56% Obama seat. Bartlett is an older than dirt dude no one cares about, he's not surviving in that. A panhandle Republican isn't going to get the numbers in Montco needed to take that. And Montco Republicans might as well be extinct.

Presumably Bartlett will retire don't you think?
If he knows what's good for him.

No real indication of that in his track record, though.

Perennial candidate who hit the jackpot very early, so...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2011, 02:51:44 PM by A Testament To Broken Walls »

Dude is also so old now his age rounds to 90.

In 2010 he won only 62% against a total nobody in a district that McCain got almost 58% in. In 2008 he actually got less votes than McCain but a slightly higher percentage due to undervotes, he no doubt underperformed Ehlrich in 2010 as well. So to think he could hang on he'd have to be quite senile...which he very well might be.

The more extreme than the NRA gun lobby's going to be sad no doubt, he was basically their second favorite member of Congress after Ron Paul. Not that their agenda has any threat to it anymore though...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #227 on: October 05, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »

Seventh-day Adventist as well.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #228 on: October 05, 2011, 03:59:03 PM »

Yes. That's a real reason to miss him.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #229 on: October 05, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »

With something like 11 kids no?  If we just had a few more like him, Social Security could be made solvent without having to cut much - or tax more - a veritable freebie!  Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #230 on: October 05, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »

With something like 11 kids no?  If we just had a few more like him, Social Security could be made solvent without having to cut much - or tax more - a veritable freebie!  Smiley

Yeah, but just imagine the housing crisis.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #231 on: October 05, 2011, 05:04:38 PM »

In the House, only Ralph Hall of Texas is older.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #232 on: October 05, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »

Well he's not the only one in Congress, but considering the only other one I know of is Sheila Jackson Lee, he might be the only one without serious mental illness issues (even if he is a little kooky and probably quite senile.)

I hooked up with a Seventh Day Adventist stripper once. Poor lady, her life went to a trainwreck and not because of any serious mistakes on her part either like people who get addicted to drugs (besides perhaps youthful naivete and getting married far too soon.) She went from a just married Sunday School (Well Saturday School) teacher at 19 to stripping with six kids at 32. She told me when I first met her kind of jokingly but I think also out of a sort of guilt she wanted to confess that the previous Saturday she went to church and then went straight to the club afterwards while her brother watched her kids. He was still quite conservative and didn't approve of what she did but basically said "I love you so I will help you out."
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #233 on: October 05, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »

What is wrong with being one?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #234 on: October 05, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »

Black legislators are angry.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/5/black-leaders-fear-maryland-redistricting-may-dilu/print/
http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/10/montco-lawmakers-bristle-over-md-redistricting-plan
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #235 on: October 05, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »

When did I say that?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2011, 03:15:10 PM »

It seemed like you were inferring there was, because the post before yours was talking about all the negatives of Bartlett (Age, under-preforming national Republicans). My apologies for the misunderstanding.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2011, 01:23:10 AM »

And you know as well as anyone else that the legislature leaders do not care one iota and will tell them to f**k off.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #238 on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »

Black and Hispanic legislators and Republicans form a majority.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/odd-couples-team-up-to-attack-md-redistricting-map/2011/10/07/gIQAldW1TL_story.html

Rep. Donna F. Edwards (D), meanwhile, has not commented publicly on the map. But multiple Maryland Democratic sources said she is unhappy that the plan takes away the portion of upper Montgomery County she represents, instead stretching her 4th District east from Prince George’s County into Anne Arundel County.

Adding a layer of potential intrigue, Bartlett and Edwards were seen huddling over maps of the state during House votes Wednesday evening.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #239 on: October 10, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »

This is just so much fun - and all this contretemps to generate but a lean Dem CD. It's all simply grand. And after AZ, I need something to bring a smile to my face. Tongue
timothyinMD

« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »

Dude is also so old now his age rounds to 90.

In 2010 he won only 62% against a total nobody in a district that McCain got almost 58% in. In 2008 he actually got less votes than McCain but a slightly higher percentage due to undervotes, he no doubt underperformed Ehlrich in 2010 as well. So to think he could hang on he'd have to be quite senile...which he very well might be.

The more extreme than the NRA gun lobby's going to be sad no doubt, he was basically their second favorite member of Congress after Ron Paul. Not that their agenda has any threat to it anymore though...

Btw, all the personal attacks on Roscoe are ridiculous.

About 2010.  You don't mention that 5.25% went to Lib/Const. party candidates.   Roscoe + Lib/Const.  earned 66.7%   Duck, the Dem, got 33.2%  That's 2 to 1.

About 2008.  You don't mention that Roscoe's opponent was Jennifer Dougherty, the mayor of Frederick, Md's second largest city and population base of district 6.    And despite her standing, she badly under performed Obama, who only lost by 1,100 votes

by my count in 2008, the 6th was Bartlett by 62,719 and McCain by 61,474. 
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2011, 12:45:47 AM »

Lets see ...

If the minority groups want 3 black districts, and Edwards likes Montgomery better than Anne Arundel, and the GOP wants 2 solid seats, and it's best to leave all the members in their districts,

... then have I got a plan for you. Smiley

The black-majority districts 4, 5, and 7 have BVAPs of 53.9%, 51.1% and 56.6% respectively.

The two GOP districts 1 and 6 were 56.6% and 58.0% for McCain. All other districts voted for Obama, and had an average Dem vote in 2006-2008 of over 56%.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »

Who says Roscoe wants two solid GOP seats? Clearly he and the Blacks conspiring spells 7-1 with Harris replaced by a Black to me! Grin (Seriously... would such a map be possible? Hoyer and Ruppersberger would probably have to take quite marginal districts and share the Eastern Shore between them.)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »

Who says Roscoe wants two solid GOP seats? Clearly he and the Blacks conspiring spells 7-1 with Harris replaced by a Black to me! Grin (Seriously... would such a map be possible? Hoyer and Ruppersberger would probably have to take quite marginal districts and share the Eastern Shore between them.)

If you're willing to jump the Chesapeake without a bridge and then wind your way up the Potomac, you could connect the more racially mixed parts of the Eastern Shore (in the south) to PG County to create a third black district. That's probably the most Democratic-efficient way to produce a third one.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2011, 12:02:50 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-rep-donna-edwards-says-she-doesnt-support-current-redistricting-plan/2011/10/11/gIQAZnzPcL_story.html

Maryland Rep. Donna Edwards said Tuesday she doesn’t support a redistricting plan in its current form because it doesn’t adequately represent minorities.

Yep. Dead and buried.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-rep-donna-edwards-says-she-doesnt-support-current-redistricting-plan/2011/10/11/gIQAZnzPcL_story.html

Maryland Rep. Donna Edwards said Tuesday she doesn’t support a redistricting plan in its current form because it doesn’t adequately represent minorities.

Yep. Dead and buried.
You'd think they'd get her on board before going public...
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2011, 12:46:10 PM »

If MD is at all like IL, then Hoyer would continue to represent the black-majority CD-5. A senior member in leadership shouldn't have a big problem in a primary. When he retires the district could elect a minority in the open contest.

Ruppersberger (green) has the closest distrcit with a 2.4% margin for Obama, though the DRA Dem average is +13%. Sarbanes (purple) is the other close district where Obama won by 5.7%, but it also shows a +12.4% Dem advantage in the DRA.
timothyinMD

« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »

Boom.

4 majority minority seats in Maryland

Red= 68.5% black
Gray= 64.7% black
Purple= 59.5% minority
Orange=51.5% minority
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2011, 05:52:11 PM »

I think these issues will be worked out and 7-1 will be the final map. It's easy to fix the "issues" that some have with minority votes and still get 7-1, it's just a matter of modification.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2011, 07:38:37 AM »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bal-new-districts-chart,0,852399.htmlpage

Data.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies