Pelosi's staying
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 04:56:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pelosi's staying
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Pelosi's staying  (Read 13014 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »

LOL!  yeah, it takes a certain kind of person to deny the obvious when "enemy" tanks are rolling through the streets

Said the guy who thought Chris Coons' call for more voter turnout on Election Day meant that his internals had C O'D closing to within five points...

actually, I said "maybe" their internals had her within 5....meaning I was fishing for a reason why they were concerned, not that I thought she was within 5.  Does your bitterness always manifest itself in misquoting others?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 01:42:59 PM »

During the 2006 Midterm, the Republicans ran hard against Pelosi and it didn't save the majority for them. The economy is why Democrats lost the House, not Pelosi. The leaders of the parties in Congress are never popular, but no one really gives much of a care about them.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »

Does your bitterness always manifest itself in misquoting others?

What am I bitter about? I was bitter after Scott Brown won. I was bitter when people I respected couldn't see my argument about Charles Djou, which I've been a little petty about since the election. But that's it.

Your predictions can be judged on their own merits, whether with a "may" or without.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »

During the 2006 Midterm, the Republicans ran hard against Pelosi and it didn't save the majority for them. The economy is why Democrats lost the House, not Pelosi. The leaders of the parties in Congress are never popular, but no one really gives much of a care about them.

the economy obviously had a lot to do with the results of the election.  but Dems are kidding themselves if they can't see that the Obama approach and agenda was also a big part of the results.  (example: Clinton lost 50+ seats in 1994 during a year when the economy added 4 million jobs.)

you can't push a liberal agenda in a country that is center-right and expect the people to accept your policies.  Clinton recovered in 96 because he moved to the center, but the Dems only gained 8 House seats in 96 even though the GOP Congress overreached.

So....
1) dont kid yourself into thinking the results were all about the economy and had nothing to do with ideology
2) dont expect the Dems to recapture the House in 2012 (unless Palin is the nominee), even if the economy recovers
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 02:10:01 PM »

Does your bitterness always manifest itself in misquoting others?

What am I bitter about? I was bitter after Scott Brown won. I was bitter when people I respected couldn't see my argument about Charles Djou, which I've been a little petty about since the election. But that's it.

Your predictions can be judged on their own merits, whether with a "may" or without.

again, it wasn't a prediction, rather it was an attempt to make sense out of why the Coons camp was worried their vote wasn't coming in.  Why don't you offer a reason why the Coons camp was worried?

and my prediction of +10/+70 was correct on the magnitude of the ideological wave, it simply underestimated the effect of personality.  And I warned you Dems over a year ago that you were facing a disaster in 2010:

Dems, read the handwriting on the wall - the public option is DOA.  and any form of health reform barely has a pulse.  You spent huge amounts of political capital while managing to turn the public against almost every one of your policies.

To date, you've already locked in huge loses in 2010 mid-terms.  At least 25 house seats and 5 Senate seats.  Minimum.  And this is before you pass tax increases, before Afghan implodes, and before Israel repaints the desert red with the blood of Muslims.

And don't count on the recovery to bail you out of political hot water...4 million jobs were created in 1994, yet the Dems lost control of the congress.  And tempers and running a lot hotter this go around.

After taking control of the banks and the autos, passing a poorly crafted stimulus, and after running up a $2 Trillion deficit, regardless if Bush is to blame...did you NOT think the public would react violently to an attempted Federal take over of the health care system?!  

As it is, this health care battle is over, and you're now simply left to fight amongst yourselves.  You've turned the seniors against you (the most likely voters), and you're quickly on your way to disillusioning younger voters.

Although I underestimated the Dems ability in making shady back-door deals in an attempt to make to the public even more irate, my analysis of public reaction was SPOT ON, even if my prediction of +5/+25 underestimated the +7(counting MA)/+63 result.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »

That's truly great news. What are her odds of winning ? I'm praying for that.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 02:46:24 PM »

Its bad news. I wish they'd have someone more moderate as a leader, but considering there aren't really any moderates in the party left, I guess that is a wish that'll stay unfulfilled.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »

Its bad news. I wish they'd have someone more moderate as a leader, but considering there aren't really any moderates in the party left, I guess that is a wish that'll stay unfulfilled.

To the contrary, the posititon of Speaker is probably the one where having an extremist is an excellent thing. Pelosi of course isn't an extremist, but she's radical enough to fit.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »

Anything, even Christine O'Donnell, would be better than having a useless "moderate" Blue Dog asshole like Heath Shuler as minority leader.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 03:58:33 PM »

Another thing I just read: remember when everybody said back in 2005 that the Democrats gave a big gift to Republicans when they elected "crazy liberal" Howard Dean as DNC chair?
Well, we all know what a "disaster" Dean's tenure was.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »

Yup, let's seem weak and easy to push around. Genius!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »

Another thing I just read: remember when everybody said back in 2005 that the Democrats gave a big gift to Republicans when they elected "crazy liberal" Howard Dean as DNC chair?

Meh.  Never really thought of Dean as a liberal.  Spoke like one sure, but it seemed like he thought and governed like more of a centrist.

It seemed like every congressional commercial I saw this cycle saw the Republicans try to link the D incumbent with Pelosi...The Fitzpatrick ad featured Pelosi saying Murphy's name on repeat.  Seemed to work.

And a hearty HAH to my buddy htmldon using the Baghdad Bob pic.  
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »

Meh.  Never really thought of Dean as a liberal.  Spoke like one sure, but it seemed like he thought and governed like more of a centrist.

That didn't deter Republicans from using him as a boogeyman, a wild-eyed ideologue who wanted to turn America into some kind of Liberal Utopia.

And as I mentioned before, if Democrats elect Steny Hoyer for Minority Leader do you think that Republicans won't try to present him as the male version of Pelosi? We are talking about people that have convinced themselves that Obama is the Antichrist, literally.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »

the economy obviously had a lot to do with the results of the election.  but Dems are kidding themselves if they can't see that the Obama approach and agenda was also a big part of the results.  (example: Clinton lost 50+ seats in 1994 during a year when the economy added 4 million jobs.)

you can't push a liberal agenda in a country that is center-right and expect the people to accept your policies.  Clinton recovered in 96 because he moved to the center, but the Dems only gained 8 House seats in 96 even though the GOP Congress overreached.

So....
1) dont kid yourself into thinking the results were all about the economy and had nothing to do with ideology
2) dont expect the Dems to recapture the House in 2012 (unless Palin is the nominee), even if the economy recovers

By that logic, the 2006 midterm was about ideology as well, but that clearly wasn't the case. The average voter isn't really ideological, which is why so many people call themselves moderate. 59% have said they expect to be disappointed by Republicans in the next two years. To me, that says it was all about economics.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 04:34:09 PM »

Wow, this is one very unexpected gift from heaven for the Republicans. Unless Heath Shuler can take her out, lol.

I think the best thing that could happen would be for a moderate to be the minority leader, so that republicans and dems work together on some common ground, get things done and then Obama is the clear road block to everything.

This way it isn't the republicans he can blame and then get re-elected. It will be him against bi-partisanship. Still, her leadership over the dems would also be a blessing.

Either way I view it as a potential win
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »

Great!!! maybe I'm 1 in 1 million, but I like pelosi and reid =)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 04:51:07 PM »

I'm no Pelosi hater, but isn't it time for some new faces? The country seems to want someone to the right of Pelosi.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 04:54:15 PM »

I'm no Pelosi hater, but isn't it time for some new faces? The country seems to want someone to the right of Pelosi.

The country does, but the Democratic Party is a private fraternal organization.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »

The country does, but the Democratic Party is a private fraternal organization.

It's a political organization that aspires to help make law for the country as a whole. That means considering more than the parochial concerns of the present, diminished membership.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »

I'm down with this. Pelosi has proven adept at running the caucus and now that so many of those obnoxious Blue Dogs have left us it'll be even easier to stand up to the nonsense that Boehner and Cantor are about to try and pass. Pelosi also seems to be the only candidate from the left-wing of the party, so if the choice is between her and Heath Shuler then this shouldn't've even be a discussion for any self-respecting Democrat. I'll be surprised if he gets more than 40 or 50 votes.

My one concern, as others have expressed, is that she is indeed a polarizing figure. But I fail to see how whoever else becomes Minority Leader won't become one as well so it's sort of a wash.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »

I'll agree with Beet. I love(d) Pelosi's time as being Speaker of the House but it's time for someone else. I'd support her over Hoyer or Shuler but if it was between her or another progressive Democrat, I'd go for the progressive over her.

Earl Blumenauer, maybe? He gives off the granola liberal image that is hated by the working class and is demonized but I Purple heart him and he could get crossover support from this "Third Way" group that is forming because supports Free Trade seems to be "rational" on economics.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 05:15:04 PM »

Pelosi is a strong leader, rather you agree with her or not, there is no denying that. Since the Democratic caucus is very different than it was before, I think she can pull together a strong opposition. She never breaks down in tears like some other people who I don't have to mention.

Ok, I like Nancy and while I can concurr she wasn't bad speaker and a leader, someone must be sacked. Simply. This can't be Reid, whose political position improved greatly after his reelection and since Democrats retained the Senate.

Whenever losing the House was her fault or not, it's wise to replace her.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »

While it is true, that whoever the Dems choose they will be labeled as  wild-eyed liberal, it is also true that Pelosi is the most known a leader can be whereas someone else would be less known. We saw in reaction to early attacks on her as a liberal San Franciscan in 2006, her approval ratings shot to 55% nationwide because people felt the attacks were unfair. Part of that surge in numbers was due to favorable press coverage of her in the media and glowing over "the first woman Speaker".

So, I think finding someone else would strategically be wise for the optics if nothing else. Yes she got her way when she was Speaker, but she isn't Speaker anymore and thus that is over. Can she even unify the caucus anymore. What reason due bluedogs have to heal at her command with her no longer atop her throne anymore? If anything, and we will know after the minority leader election, she may divide the caucus more then unite it.

There is also nothing she can do to save her adjenda, that is just hype and cover. Another minority leader will have the same power she does. Its Obama, Reid and the 53 Dems on the other side of the Capitol that will keep the adjenda in place.

I think she is either running because she wants the job of Speaker back later, or she wants to prevent Hoyer from becoming minority leader, or both.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2010, 09:43:21 PM »

So....

By that logic, the 2006 midterm was about ideology as well, but that clearly wasn't the case. The average voter isn't really ideological, which is why so many people call themselves moderate. 59% have said they expect to be disappointed by Republicans in the next two years. To me, that says it was all about economics.

Thats actually a great place to be in, really.

There are many things the GOP can do in the House to exceed expectations. Cutting Congressional pay would be a great first move. I hear Boehner is interested in that. Its not much but it does send a message that this congress and this new GOP gets it enough they if everyone else takes a pay cut they should as well. On its own its miniscule, but it is as I said a great start.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 12:06:22 AM »

Pelosi was a great Speaker, but this whole transition to minority power thing feels weird in the House ... Hoyer v. Clyburn? 

I have to wonder if there are any fresh faces and young talent in the Democratic caucus too.  Sure, the American people barely know who Pelosi is, so the whole idea of fresh faces is kinda funny, but I'm not really sure what the Democratic caucus is up to in the House.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies