Pelosi's staying
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 11:15:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pelosi's staying
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Pelosi's staying  (Read 13010 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:17:33 PM »

Pelosi plans to run for minority leader, Fox.
Guderian

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:20:12 PM »

Wow, this is one very unexpected gift from heaven for the Republicans. Unless Heath Shuler can take her out, lol.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »

Well, I was wrong on that one. She is a masochist I guess. "They" are just so kinky in her zip code.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:25:15 PM »

And Republicans rejoice!
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 12:32:32 PM »

She won't win.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »

Democrats would be wise to sack her.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:36:27 PM »

Pelosi is a strong leader, rather you agree with her or not, there is no denying that. Since the Democratic caucus is very different than it was before, I think she can pull together a strong opposition. She never breaks down in tears like some other people who I don't have to mention.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »

yeah, BIGTIME!!!
Whacker77

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »

The Democrat caucus is far more liberal today than it was Monday.  She's running again because she must feel she has the votes.  She is the gift that keeps on giving for Republicans.  Republican strategists say Pelosi was a powerful tool to use against Democrats this past Tuesday.
Guderian

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 12:40:26 PM »

Basically all GOP pickups in the South are set in stone for 2012 with Pelosi as minority leader.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

Republicans in this thread have proven themselves, by and large, to once again be idiots. Pelosi is a great asset to the House Democrats, and makes a much better leader than that do-nothing backbencher Heath Schuler.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »

Republicans in this thread have proven themselves, by and large, to once again be idiots. Pelosi is a great asset to the House Democrats, and makes a much better leader than that do-nothing backbencher Heath Schuler.

I don't know what world you live in, Lief, or what drugs you're smoking, but I find myself interested either way, since you seem to be having rather powerful hallucinations of what seems to be your greatest desire.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »

She seemed to have run the House well---the Senate was what was causing so much trouble and deadlock for the Democratic agenda, no?---but she's a very polarizing figure... I don't know what to think about this.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »

There's absolutely no evidence that voters care about who the congressional leadership is. Most of them don't even know who the Congressional leadership is. And for the minority of Americans who do know, of course Pelosi is going to be a polarizing figure. That's necessary of being a leader in the House or Senate. When's the last time we had a nationally beloved Speaker or Senate Majority leader? That's not their job. Their job is to organize things in their House and get things done. The GOP has been trying to turn Nancy Pelosi into some boogeywoman for years and years and years and it doesn't work. On the other side of the coin, she has, over the past two years, proven herself to be one of the best congressional leaders in the body's history, passing a huge, huge amount of legislation, often with very little support from the President, while dealing with a big tent caucus with many different interests. Pelosi has also proven herself to be a terrific fundraiser. Electing Heath Schuler would only hurt the Democratic caucus on an organizational basis, while at the same time doing absolutely nothing to rehabilitate the party's image.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

Lief, you're right, but I don't think people are going to see eye-to-eye on this issue at this moment in time.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »

There's absolutely no evidence that voters care about who the congressional leadership is. Most of them don't even know who the Congressional leadership is. And for the minority of Americans who do know, of course Pelosi is going to be a polarizing figure. That's necessary of being a leader in the House or Senate. When's the last time we had a nationally beloved Speaker or Senate Majority leader? That's not their job. Their job is to organize things in their House and get things done. The GOP has been trying to turn Nancy Pelosi into some boogeywoman for years and years and years and it doesn't work. On the other side of the coin, she has, over the past two years, proven herself to be one of the best congressional leaders in the body's history, passing a huge, huge amount of legislation, often with very little support from the President, while dealing with a big tent caucus with many different interests. Pelosi has also proven herself to be a terrific fundraiser. Electing Heath Schuler would only hurt the Democratic caucus on an organizational basis, while at the same time doing absolutely nothing to rehabilitate the party's image.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »

I agree that in terms of pushing her agenda through the House, she has been an impressive speaker. And she is definitely better than Shuler.

But I can't deny that she's a polarizing figure, and I'm just not sure how wise it would be to keep her in charge.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2010, 01:23:14 PM by Capitan Zapp Brannigan »

Thank god. She's been a great Speaker. Republicans would have won the same seats Pelosi or no Pelosi, people don't care who the congressional leadership is. She does her job very well, no need to give the job to somebody who would be less effective.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 01:14:39 PM »

I think O'Neill and Gingrich will disagree. Roll Eyes
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »

LOL!  yeah, it takes a certain kind of person to deny the obvious when "enemy" tanks are rolling through the streets
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »

Pelosi isn't more polarizing or less beloved than Bhoener or McConnell. Everyone who can read a poll can deduce that.

And is there anybody out there so gullible  to believe that a Minority Leader Steny Hoyer or John Larson won't be vilified by the Republicans as "another wild-eyed East Coast Liberal"?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »

I'll ask the same question I alluded to on the other thread... now Obama isn't responsible for the Dems losing the House? If it's Pelosi's fault, does that mean he's a lock for 2012? Do you think the 2012 election will be a referendum on Nancy Pelosi?

What people are missing is that:
1. Congressional approval ratings are in the toilet for both parties: worse for Republicans than Dems, although they may perk up with the wins this week. People in Congress who get the attention of the public are unpopular, full stop. If they aren't unpopular, it's because they aren't known.
2. Nancy Pelosi is very good at her job, which is corraling votes among the Democrats. That is doubly crucial as Minority Leader because she won't share the job with Hoyer. Gingrich was not as good at this as she was.
3. Republicans tried to run anti-Pelosi campaigns in 2008 and in PA-12 in 2010. It failed.  

If you're a Republican and you don't like Nancy Pelosi, think twice about projecting your own views onto that of the country as a whole, consider whether you are believing your own propaganda, and most of all, don't confuse causation with correlation.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 01:21:37 PM »

LOL!  yeah, it takes a certain kind of person to deny the obvious when "enemy" tanks are rolling through the streets

Said the guy who thought Chris Coons' call for more voter turnout on Election Day meant that his internals had C O'D closing to within five points...
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »

Pelosi is a great tool for Republicans to use.

At work the other night, a friend of mine who doesn't even follow politics made a joke, "Mike voted for Nancy Pelosi" just to get a negative reaction from me and all my co-workers. The fact that so many young people who have alot less interest in politics than me had a negative view, I definitely wanna keep Nancy around until 2012.
Whacker77

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »

Read the story on Politico.  In it, Democrat pollsters say she was a major drag on their candidates.  Republican pollsters said the very same thing.  I know she got a lot of stuff through the Congress, but she is great for Republicans.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies