Are more thriving small businesses really better for the country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:50:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are more thriving small businesses really better for the country?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are more thriving small businesses really better for the country?  (Read 3156 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:07:50 AM »
« edited: November 05, 2010, 12:09:44 AM by Liza Murrowski »

Every campaign season I hear the same stuff about cutting taxes for small businesses and getting small businesses hiring because small business is the heart of our successful capitalist system.

But then I visit small businesses.

You have the mom and pop restaurants.  Food is pretty good, though it can be slightly unhealthier as they don't hire nutritionists like chain restaurants.  They certainly treat their employees better.  These guys are important I spose.

You have lawyers and small medical practices.  Frankly, decent sized law firms and medium sized clinics are far more efficient.  

Car dealers... lol.

And then you have crap.  Maybe I'm forgetting something, but every small business that isn't a restaurant is an overpriced unnecessary specialty shop, a needlessly independent subcontractor for a big business, are run by a con artist, or a combination of the three.  They are also incredible volatile to even the most minor economic swings and tend to over expand in the good times and over correct with the cut backs in the bad times.

As much as the left hates big business and the right hates the government, both are probably the only reason we have anything.  How many things do you own that were acquired from a small business?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:10:23 AM »

Although you are just trolling with contrarian attention whoring, the answer is yes, more thriving small businesses are really better for the country.

Big business and big government are both enemies to a healthy, free, and productive society.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »

more thriving small businesses are really better for the country.

While Billy Jo's consignment shop creates a job or two and is great for a community what we really need are some serious heavy industry manufacturing jobs (Bethlehem Steel, etc) to have a serious recovery.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:22:35 AM »

I understand they contribute a lot to the GDP and employee a ton of people but do they really do important tasks on their own?  I'm not sure I can think of a small business that photosynthesizes to our economy.

While Billy Jo's consignment shop creates a job or two and is great for a community what we really need are some serious heavy industry manufacturing jobs (Bethlehem Steel, etc) to have a serious recovery.

And it's not just the jobs.  We can live without a consignment shop.  It's not an important task.  

(Oh yeah, and what better way to revitalize the steel industry then to can public rail projects? Wink)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:37:34 AM »

You are also forgetting that most big business started out as small business. Microsoft, Starbucks, McDonalds, Coke etc etc.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »

I'm not sure I can think of a small business that photosynthesizes to our economy.

I can't think of a big business that does that either, given that photosynthesis has to do with converting water and CO2 into carbohydrates and oxygen while using light as an energy source. That is to say that it has nothing to do with economics.

We can live without a consignment shop.  It's not an important task.

We can "live" without a lot of things. Even so, that doesn't mean they aren't useful to someone. As long as any business has sufficient amount of use or value to a sufficient number of people to financially sustain it, it's going to stay around regardless of it's size.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »

Politically, I think most big businesses get a bad reputation they don't deserve. It's a few incompetent ones like GM and Lehman Brothers, or ones that don't care about the American worker like IBM or Walmart.

I think small businesses are very important in our economy, but that politicians emphasize them way too much (without many policy changes to back it up) because it is a good talking point.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »

Heavy industry isn't necessary for a successful economy. Industrialization is the source of many modern societal problems. 
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 06:20:48 PM »

Thriving small business = good.
Thriving big business = good.
Thriving government = bad.

Although it must be noted that 2 is usually a symptom of 3.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »

Small businesses may not look impressive, but you have to consider how many of them there are. Fully half the workforce is employed by small businesses.

Big businesses are also important.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 02:45:06 PM »

They are neither clearly positive or negative, but there is no doubt that in the current neo-liberal right-wing state of governance, they pay so little that they create more social problems than they solve.  (kind of maggots-in-the-corpse without proper regulation, unionization, etc.)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »

More important than small business in on its own, a society with entrepreneurial spirit at least spurs creativity.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 04:03:12 PM »

I'm agreeing with what a lot of people are saying on here in terms of saying that small businesses are good. I have a point or two of my own to add:

If not for small businesses, we'd probably just have monopolies over every industry, because one business formed, and noone else started a business to create competition
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 04:07:03 PM »

Heavy industry isn't necessary for a successful economy. Industrialization is the source of many modern societal problems. 

This is a very odd argument.  Both sides seem to have come out of a time warp.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 04:22:28 PM »

More important than small business in on its own, a society with entrepreneurial spirit at least spurs creativity.

I more or less agree with this. If we encourage people to start small businesses, most of the businesses will be useless, but some will make more important contributions to the economy. As patrick1 pointed out, every business is a small business when it starts out; even something like Google or Apple.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 02:36:28 AM »

I more or less agree with this. If we encourage people to start small businesses, most of the businesses will be useless, but some will make more important contributions to the economy. As patrick1 pointed out, every business is a small business when it starts out; even something like Google or Apple.

Careful now; your starting to sound like a nanny statist.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 02:48:19 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2010, 02:54:50 AM by phknrocket1k »

Careful now; your starting to sound like a nanny statist.

To further elaborate. There are small businesses who are not interested in increasing economies of scope. I once interned for a self-employed sole proprietor insurance underwriter who simply had 2 interns. One to cold call and one to do clerical/admin work. These types aren't exactly the type that can grow to provide and create jobs.

Its the types that require angel and VC investors.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 05:16:26 AM »

You can't really encourage the creation of big business.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »

Not true - some businesses started out big.  A good example would be the Home Depot - the whole innovation behind its business model was that it would be big.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »

Not true - some businesses started out big.  A good example would be the Home Depot - the whole innovation behind its business model was that it would be big.

Not counting retail or mining, most tech businesses started out in garages, bedrooms. living rooms, attics, dorm rooms, etc.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »

Some of the small businesses in my area that provide a lot of jobs and drive the regional economy:

Anderson Windows
Marvin Windows
Anderson Fabrics
Arctic Cat
Polaris
Nortech
North Country Business Products
North Central Door (garage door manufacturer)
Northland Fishing Tackle
Northwoods Lumber

Many independent contractors
Small biotech firms
A toilet manufacturer
Great Lakes Natural Gas (they maintain the natural gas pipelines in the area)

And then you have the utilities..
Beltrami County Electric Cooperative
Paul Bunyan Telephone Cooperative
Otter Tail Electric
Mid-Continent Communications
Qwest (not small business, obv)

And an absolute crap load of small community banks.  Minnesota is famous for small community banks.  I can name 10 banks in my city of 30,000 that only operate in the immediate area... and only one nationally (or even regionally) known bank.. Wells Fargo.

So yes, small business is very important for the economy.  It has been these small businesses that have kept economic growth going here despite the sour national economy. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 08:53:45 PM »

Ideally yes as small business are less likely to produce the idle fortunes that large businesses create. However, when a politician speaks of aiding small business, you can bet the farm he talking about giving more money to the super rich.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 04:58:41 AM »

Ideally yes as small business are less likely to produce the idle fortunes that large businesses create. However, when a politician speaks of aiding small business, you can bet the farm he talking about giving more money to the super rich.

Actually, the probability of large businesses producing idle capital is virtually zero. For small businesses the probability is probably a little bit higher, but in general idle capital is extremely rare in a modern society.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2010, 11:53:34 PM by phknrocket1k »

Actually, the probability of large businesses producing idle capital is virtually zero. For small businesses the probability is probably a little bit higher, but in general idle capital is extremely rare in a modern society.

He likely is referring to having a high % of cash to assets.

But even than, the cash is lying around in a bank and not in briefcases, ready to be loaned.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 06:09:14 AM »

He likely is referring to having a high % of cash to assets.

But even than, the cash is lying around in a bank and not in briefcases, ready to be loaned.

Of course, but, as you say, that isn't "idle."

The only capital which is idle is really cash in a mattress and that seems slightly more likely to be true of revenue generated by small business than by big business.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies