Romney/Barbour 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:34:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney/Barbour 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney/Barbour 2012?  (Read 1830 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »

Would Mitt Romney and Haley Barbour be a formidable Republican ticket in 2012?

Please discuss.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:20:46 PM »

Picking Barbour, a former lobbyist, would be ill-advised for Romney or any presidential candidate. I would say that a younger, more telegenic, intelligent Republican would be a better pick. Barbour isn't the message the GOP wants to send as a Vice President. I would say that Bobby Jindal, or some other young, charismatic Republican governor would be a far better pick.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »

No, it wouldn't. Romney and Barbour are both lead balloons as far as potential GOP presidential candidates go.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:25:35 PM »

Together they'd bring in a lot of money and network. It wouldn't be too energizing, but they'd be well funded and organized
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:22 PM »

One thing Bush did, by having an older and more experienced VP (a tradition followed by Obama), is that they remove the "successor" tag from them, and create party instability.

I think Romney needs a young-ish, VP with solid conservative credentials... ,maybe from the West or South to counter possible weaknesses for Romney.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 09:43:24 PM »

One thing Bush did, by having an older and more experienced VP (a tradition followed by Obama), is that they remove the "successor" tag from them, and create party instability.

I think Romney needs a young-ish, VP with solid conservative credentials... ,maybe from the West or South to counter possible weaknesses for Romney.

Yes, I agree with you that this is the path Romney should follow if he is the nominee.  I'm thinking Senator John Thune from South Dakota would be an excellent running mate for him. 
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:21:21 AM »

Other than being "not Obama," exactly what special appeal would a Romney/Barbour ticket have to undecided voters?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 09:48:56 AM »

Obama: 344
Romney: 194
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:54:21 AM »

That map looks pretty accurate. North Carolina would probably go Obama if I made a map.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 10:38:55 AM »

How is Romney going to credibly campaign against health care repeal in the Republican primaries when he signed a mandate as governor of Massachusetts?

Note the word "credibly." I imagine there are ways he can try, but I don't see what he can say that will convince Republican voters he is one of them.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »

No, it wouldn't. Romney and Barbour are both lead balloons as far as potential GOP presidential candidates go.

CNN/Opinion Research has Romney leading Obama by 5 today.
Guderian

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »

How is Romney going to credibly campaign against health care repeal in the Republican primaries when he signed a mandate as governor of Massachusetts?

Note the word "credibly." I imagine there are ways he can try, but I don't see what he can say that will convince Republican voters he is one of them.

My guess - he will say there should be no federal health care but if states want it, they can have it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 01:15:04 PM »

My guess - he will say there should be no federal health care but if states want it, they can have it.

That's his best strategy. Thanks.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »

CNN/Opinion Research has Romney leading Obama by 5 today.

Romney is basically the "Generic R" right now. If he were to win the nomination and people got to know the real Mitt Romney, the fall in support would be quite spectacular.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »

Romney will never be elected president.  I'd hope the Republicans would be smart enough not to nominate him.
Whacker77

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »

I think Obama fans are misguided if they believe the 2008 map will apply in 2012.  It will look far more like 2004.  That doesn't mean Ohio and Florida go Republican, but I think Virginia, North Carolina, and Indiana do.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 05:32:03 PM »

Even the most ardent fans know 2008 was an electoral anomaly, but it still depends on who he's running against.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »

I see him winning Colorado and Nevada as well as anything that either Al Gore or John Kerry ever won.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:35 PM »

Barack Obama/Joe Biden                   269
Mitt Romney/John Thune                   269

The House elects Romney President.   

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »

That's with 2008 EV #s.  After 2010 reapportionment, the GOP states will gain a few EVs, and the above map would translate to a Romney win, without it being thrown to the House.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »

That's with 2008 EV #s.  After 2010 reapportionment, the GOP states will gain a few EVs, and the above map would translate to a Romney win, without it being thrown to the House.

Thanks.  I realized the 2008 map is outdated for 2012, but I did not know the state by state numbers.
milhouse24
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 02:02:45 AM »

woohoo, romney's the Rudy G of 2008.  Seriously if Romney is the GOP nominee, the GOP has other problems with the base to worry about.  they'll need every christian conservative vote and romney won't inspire them.  It would more likely be Barbour/Romney.  But I do think the GOP will win both Ohio and Florida in 2012, and that means they'll win the White House, so this GOP primary in 2012 will be a really exciting dogfight.  Everyone is going to jump in - Newt, Palin, maybe Rick Perry, Brownback, etc etc.  Just as long as the GOP doesn't nominate an oldy like Bob Dole, its a slam-dunk.
Guderian

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 03:55:23 AM »

woohoo, romney's the Rudy G of 2008.  Seriously if Romney is the GOP nominee, the GOP has other problems with the base to worry about.  they'll need every christian conservative vote and romney won't inspire them. 

While I personally find it hilarious that many Southern Baptists think their church legitimate and LDS is a cult, in the hypothetical Obama v Romney general, they are coming out to vote against Obama, not to vote for Romney.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 08:37:38 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2010, 08:39:30 AM by Clay »

While I personally find it hilarious that many Southern Baptists think their church legitimate and LDS is a cult, in the hypothetical Obama v Romney general, they are coming out to vote against Obama, not to vote for Romney.

I doubt it.  I think a lot of Christians who are against the president would simply sit this one out.  They wouldn't vote for Romney, and they won't vote for Obama.  Their only options are to either go with a third party candidate, or to not vote at all, and I think many will choose the latter.

I'm a Christian, non denominational, and if this is the match up I'll be voting for Obama (based on political reasons, not religious ones).  I have no problem voting for a Mormon, just as I have no problem voting for an African American, Hispanic, etc.  Romney is a nut on the same level as Palin, he only hides it a little better.
milhouse24
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »

woohoo, romney's the Rudy G of 2008.  Seriously if Romney is the GOP nominee, the GOP has other problems with the base to worry about.  they'll need every christian conservative vote and romney won't inspire them. 

I think mormonism is too much of a risk for Christian conservatives.  Romney will be better as VP (similar to Dick Cheney who had strong Industrial connections).  I doubt Romney will win Iowa, SC, or any southern or midwest primary or general election state.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies