The Ogis Multi-Purpose Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:41:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Ogis Multi-Purpose Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Ogis Multi-Purpose Thread  (Read 5247 times)
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:42 PM »
« edited: March 08, 2011, 12:14:21 AM by Mideast Assemblyman Agooji (Ogis) »

The time is here to reconsider the past and lay a firm path for the future. Is there one person that can claim that everything is right in Atlasia today? We have widespread turmoil due to party rancor, worsening socioeconomic conditions, and, most recently, ambivalent policymaking. The Mideast needs to be a beacon of change, a symbol of the revolution that Atlasia must undergo to become truly prosperous again. Interest is down. Comradery is almost nonexistent. We need a candidate who is experienced enough to see the path that Atlasia has come, but grounded enough to know how far we must still travel.

I present to you an example of the little things I plan to implement if elected:
In my previous runs for Mideast Assembly as Persepolis, I advocated making the Mideast Assembly's thread more accessible to the non-officeholding citizens of Atlasia. When I first took office, my ideas were shot down because it is apparenly infeasible and cluttering to open two new threads to better organize and inform the public. Now that the regional governments have their own board, what is the excuse for making our assembly as impossible to navigate as the Strait of Magellan? I understand the hard work that the current and former assemblymembers put in, but that toil is for nought if the citizens the elected officials represent cannot access the laws that are put in place.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:53:59 PM »

The time is here to reconsider the past and lay a firm path for the future. Is there one person that can claim that everything is right in Atlasia today? We have widespread turmoil due to party rancor, worsening socioeconomic conditions, and, most recently, ambivalent policymaking. The Mideast needs to be a beacon of change, a symbol of the revolution that Atlasia must undergo to become truly prosperous again. Interest is down. Comradery is almost nonexistent. We need a candidate who is experienced enough to see the path that Atlasia has come, but grounded enough to know how far we must still travel.

I present to you an example of the little things I plan to implement if elected:
In my previous runs for Mideast Assembly as Persepolis, I advocated making the Mideast Assembly's thread more accessible to the non-officeholding citizens of Atlasia. When I first took office, my ideas were shot down because it is apparenly infeasible and cluttering to open two new threads to better organize and inform the public. Now that the regional governments have their own board, what is the excuse for making our assembly as impossible to navigate as the Strait of Magellan? I understand the hard work that the current and former assemblymembers put in, but that toil is for nought if the citizens the elected officials represent cannot access the laws that are put in place.

You've come a long way, man. Endorsed!

And if someone wants to see some of my old posts from when I first joined Atlasia and "encountered" Ogis, go ahead for a laugh. Wink
agooji

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2010, 07:33:22 PM by Agooji (Ogis) »

In my previous runs for Mideast Assembly as Persepolis, I advocated making the Mideast Assembly's thread more accessible to the non-officeholding citizens of Atlasia. When I first took office, my ideas were shot down because it is apparently infeasible and cluttering to open two new threads to better organize and inform the public. Now that the regional governments have their own board, what is the excuse for making our assembly as impossible to navigate as the Strait of Magellan? I understand the hard work that the current and former assemblymembers put in, but that toil is for nought if the citizens the elected officials represent cannot access the laws that are put in place.

You've come a long way, man. Endorsed!

And if someone wants to see some of my old posts from when I first joined Atlasia and "encountered" Ogis, go ahead for a laugh. Wink

They are certainly a laugh. Once again, I apologise for my previous conduct. Thank you for the endorsement.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 04:15:37 AM »

TPTTAA - didn't you get banned
agooji

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:02:56 AM »

I'm here now....
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:48:21 PM »

can you go further in depth on this matter?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »

They are certainly a laugh. Once again, I apologise for my previous conduct. Thank you for the endorsement.

A laugh for you, perhaps.  I am less than forgiving.
agooji

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »

A laugh for you, perhaps.  I am less than forgiving.

And you have every right to feel that way.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 12:30:04 AM »

platform?
agooji

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 01:28:36 AM »

Note: I am typing up a formal response to other questions raised in this thread, so don't think I forgot.

Platform:
Holistic Atlasian Policy:

Atlasia is drifting away from becoming a government simulation for everyone and is instead trapped in the quagmire of bureaucracy and elitism. The government is basically comprised of the same people shuffling positions, and policymaking has degraded into laws and regulations for the sake of having them, and nothing more. Thus, stricter term limits should be put in place for all positions, including supposedly "low-level" offices such as the Mideast Assembly. Also, the recent attempts to draw more interest to the game should be optimized to focus on accessibility and enjoyment for the newcomers, rather than a large-scale advertising campaign which is the talk of the hour. We cannot handle more citizens if we do not improve the infrastructure for newies first.

Mideast Assembly Reform:
Following my desire to make the game more accessible, the Mideast Assemly should reorganize its threads to make them remotely readable. At this point, the one thread is one-hundred odd pages of jumbled nonsense, and it is certainly not a scene that will attract newcomers or encourage activity from veterans any time soon.

Economic Reform:
The Mideast has made quite a few strides to decrease marginal expenditures and solve the economic crisis, but we have not gone quite far enough. I think the assembly needs to recognize that a lack of government regulation caused this mess, and we need to implement stricter policies on large corporations while cutting more breaks for small-business owners. Also, we should look into cutting down on unnecessary infrastructure expenditure. I understand that a systemwide audit is costly and will likely sendthe wrong message to the citizens, but a specially organized Mideast task force could feasibly conduct such an investigation in a reasonable amount of time for little or no cost.

Social Reform:

Laws should be implemented to protect the general well-being and freedom of the public. However, some freedoms must be limited to protect the general population. After a cursory glance at a few of the bills in discussion currently/recently, I have found that the Assembly is trending in the opposite direction that I envision. I agree wholeheartedly with Junkie's DUI and firearm bills that were recently debated. I find it alarming that the Assembly does not wish to come to terms with the fact that a person cannot be free if he/she is not alive. We must protect life first, then liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 10:16:08 PM »

bump
agooji

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 11:06:56 PM »

Two years ago, I joined this forum with the intent of poting regularly. My interest was piqued especially by this political simulation. I was lazy, and I lost any motivation I had during the wait for my confirmation email. Eventually, I decided to post for the first time, and was imediately annoyed by the cliquey structure and unwelcoming atmosphere. As such, I did not make much of an attempt to be productive. That is, and will forever be, my fault. However, it did spur my current interest in making this game, and, by extension, this forum, more amicable to newcomers.

During my days as Ogis, various other deplorable incidents occured, and they turned this forum into a complete wasteland for newbies. Swathes of sockpuppets were uncovered, various accounts were hacked, and the forum went into a general frenzy of distrust. In some sense, it was the "Era of Bad Feelings."

Eventually, one boring school night, I, the immature teenager, decided to spam the forum with idiotic messages about being hacked. I was deservedly banned (It was a long time coming; the spamming was the spark that finally enticed Dave to act.). Meanwhile, the questionable pasts of other posters on this forum were brought into light. Benconstine is a key example of the fallout from this "era," as he was (illegally) prosecuted for having a secondary account, charges which were certainly true, but corroborated using inadmissable information, in my opinion. At this point, that specific court case is a moot point, and Ben likely did the right thing by not contesting too heavily the charges he faced, as that decision allowed him to climb back into the public eye. I cite this story to show that someone who has perhaps engaged in illegal activity can still be a helpful member of Atlasia.

As time passed and the anti-newcomer sentiments festered, I created a second account, mostly as a joke and a backhanded slap to the moderators who I then perceived as fascists and control freaks (those sentiments have since faded). I never made any real attempt to contribute and was duly banned. I came back again, this time under the transparent guise of a Dutch student, and was again shot down. Finally, as I apparently became more mature, I rejoined the forum as Persepolis.

Persepolis began as a political experiment on my part. I modeled him to believe precisely the opposite of what I truly believe. Thus, he was a perfect fit for the RPP, who, at the time, were the most accepting party of newcomers. AS time wore on, Persepolis became a well-liked individual in the Mideast and was eventually elected to the Assembly. Once I reached the Assembly, I shed the party lines slightly and attempted to make prison and gun control reforms. The joke of the matter is that no one realized that I was directly contradicting my platform, due to the inaccessability of the Mideast Assembly for its constituents. Regardless, I decided to run for Senate against an ironically more conservative member of the DA, named Dan.

This Senate election, devoid of fanfare, was likely the most idiotic election in Atlasia of all time. Both Dan and I were not who we said we were. In fact, I was the one who uncovered Dan's true origins and forced him to come clean. Hilariously, the main clue of his deceit was his odd description of his own sexual orientation. It was something of the Jewish Conservative "lean gay" lore. Either way, I'm not one who should be judging anyone, as a surefire victory was taken from my grasp, deservedly. My lies were finally uncovered, and I was banned again.

Now we have come to this day. Although I have a checkered past, to say the least, I have as much experience as anyone running for Assembly, except Inks. I am more mature and I am likely the example this forum needs to right the ship. I have a decidedly unique perspective on the goings-on of this forum, and I faced enough adversity to last a lifetime. I'm not the trendy choice, and I'm likely not the safe one, but I am the one who can bring a dynamic shift to the Mideast.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 12:00:36 AM »

Persepolis ... I remember that.  That was a pretty big blow to me as a governor.... that whole thing was just a mess.
agooji

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 12:48:30 AM »

Persepolis ... I remember that.  That was a pretty big blow to me as a governor.... that whole thing was just a mess.

Sorry about that. The region eventually got a great Senator out of the whole debacle in the shape of tmthforu.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 01:20:40 AM »

True... but it pretty much killed my agenda in the Assembly. Wink

Oh well, I'm over it.  Best of luck to you!
agooji

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 01:25:54 AM »

True... but it pretty much killed my agenda in the Assembly. Wink

Oh well, I'm over it.  Best of luck to you!

Thank you.

I don't recall, what was your specific agenda at the time?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 01:54:46 AM »

I honestly don't really remember.  I just know I went from having a center-right Assembly to a center-left Assembly rather quickly.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 03:53:43 AM »

There was nothing illegal about Ben's prosecution, and you should know you didn't have access to anything that happened in private arguments regarding evidence.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »

Sorry about that. The region eventually got a great Senator out of the whole debacle in the shape of tmthforu.
Thank you, Ogis, for that compliment. Tongue I don't think I've ever had as much luck in this game as I did back then when that Senate seat fell right into my laps.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 09:08:07 AM »

Good luck.
agooji

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 07:26:27 PM »

There was nothing illegal about Ben's prosecution, and you should know you didn't have access to anything that happened in private arguments regarding evidence.

He was mostly uncovered due to my illegal activity. That's what I was going for. The case itself was handled well. Ben probably got the short end of the stick due to the circumstances, however.
agooji

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »

Thank you, Ogis, for that compliment. Tongue I don't think I've ever had as much luck in this game as I did back then when that Senate seat fell right into my laps.

Perhaps it was lucky, but you did a good job using that to your advantage and showing that you're good at your job.

Thank you.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »

Thank you for the post
agooji

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 01:50:50 AM »

No problem.

Are there any other questions?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »

Nope. You've answered them all, unless Ben has some rebuttle to this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies