Politico: GOP's New Mission -- Stop Palin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:55:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Politico: GOP's New Mission -- Stop Palin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Politico: GOP's New Mission -- Stop Palin  (Read 2882 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »

I honestly think Gary Johnson could do very well. Palin has the rural white, religious vote, so who's left? Fiscally conservative, socially moderate/liberal Republicans (in other words, libertarians). NH + NV, and he's a frontrunner.

I wish you were right, but honestly think you are way oversimplifying the make up of the GOP. If Ron Paul Love-o-lution couldn't break 20 delegates, Gary Johnson ain't getting the nomination.

Paul had many problems that Johnson won't.

1. Paul's campaign organization was terrible, they didn't really make good use of all their money.

2. Paul is not very good looking, nor a charismatic guy. He can come off as even a bit crazy at times.

3. Johnson may benefit in the southwest due to the favorite son effect. He'll probably take Hispanic Republicans as well.

Still, I do let my hope get the better of me.

I wouldn't get my hopes up either, and think there's no way Johnson will win the nomination.  But I'd add to your list:

4) Distrust of government on the Right is higher when the president is a Democrat, and there's also less of a reflexive defense of the Afghan War among Republicans (now that Obama is the one prosecuting it) than there was of the Iraq War in 2007/8.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »

I honestly think Gary Johnson could do very well. Palin has the rural white, religious vote, so who's left? Fiscally conservative, socially moderate/liberal Republicans (in other words, libertarians). NH + NV, and he's a frontrunner.

I wish you were right, but honestly think you are way oversimplifying the make up of the GOP. If Ron Paul Love-o-lution couldn't break 20 delegates, Gary Johnson ain't getting the nomination.

1. Paul's campaign organization was terrible, they didn't really make good use of all their money.

2. Paul is not very good looking, nor a charismatic guy. He can come off as even a bit crazy at times.

3. Johnson may benefit in the southwest due to the favorite son effect. He'll probably take Hispanic Republicans as well.

2. And Gary Johnson is charismatic?
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »

I see Palin as more like the Senate Majority Leader, in a few years.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »

So Paul has learned from his mistakes. Johnson would be a rookie making the same mistakes Paul made in 08.

Johnson could make a good candidate in the future, but he needs to start building his name now for 2016.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So are you gay, or why do you care about this? He's 75 years old, who gives a sh**t what he looks like?

Paul has an aloof but genuine personality that would make him appealing after four years of supposedly charismatic Obama's arrogant smarminess as he reads off the teleprompter.

Johnson, on the other hand, doesn't have much of a personality to begin with.

In New Mexico maybe, but where else? Certainly GOP primary voters in neighboring Arizona aren't going to vote for a guy who runs on an open borders platform.

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 08:36:42 PM »

This really is a problem with Johnson. I saw him on Freedom Watch a few months ago and he really came off as a bit of an awkward speaker. A bit absurd for a someone attack Paul for lack of charisma while supporting Johnson.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »

This really is a problem with Johnson. I saw him on Freedom Watch a few months ago and he really came off as a bit of an awkward speaker. A bit absurd for a someone attack Paul for lack of charisma while supporting Johnson.

I'm not attacking Paul, I'm saying why I think Johnson would have a better chance of winning the nomination than Paul did two years ago.

On Paul's looks, it's naive to think those don't have an influence.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »

I'm not attacking Paul, I'm saying why I think Johnson would have a better chance of winning the nomination than Paul did two years ago.

On Paul's looks, it's naive to think those don't have an influence.

Johnson's not exactly Mr. Handsome either.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 09:24:46 PM »

This thread suddenly got very weird.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »

If ever there was a need for someone to make libertarian facemash, it's now.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »

This is a recipe for her to get the nomination. The establishment trying to stop her will only fuel her support,  Republican primary voters have shown that they will buck the establishment.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2010, 12:57:37 AM by pbrower2a »

Indeed. He is a jungle-fighter far to the Right of America as a whole, committed to the right-wing culture wars and a clear corporatist. Maybe he wins against President Obama if the propaganda machine of Karl Rogue and his type remains effective.

If the Rogue machine remains effective in 2012, then elections beyond 2014 will be as empty as those in Iraq under Saddam Hussein.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 03:47:36 AM »

I see Palin as more like the Senate Majority Leader, in a few years.

What?

Seriously....what?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies