Rep. Dean Heller (R-NV): Reid’s defeat might not be good for Nevada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 02:20:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Dean Heller (R-NV): Reid’s defeat might not be good for Nevada
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rep. Dean Heller (R-NV): Reid’s defeat might not be good for Nevada  (Read 3001 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/damon-political-report/2010/oct/29/heller-harry-reids-defeat-might-not-be-good-nevada/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »

Heller needs to be primaried next time. He represents far too a GOP district to have to put up with this.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:54:27 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2010, 08:30:09 PM by Joe Republic »

Heller needs to be primaried next time. He represents far too a GOP district to have to put up with this.

Put up with what?  A rational, level-headed appraisal of both candidates?  He still stands firmly behind Angle, you know.

Believe it or not, not every Republican here considers Reid's career to be entirely detrimental to Nevada.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:52 PM »

What he is saying is true, Nevada is going to lose quite a bit of pull with Harry Reid gone.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »

Put up with what?  A rational, level-headed appraisal of both candidates?  He still stands firmly behind Angle, you know.

I think Torie has gone full tea party crazy.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 08:11:44 PM »

Nevada is about to shoot itself in the foot, and he knows it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »

Chill out old man. You start sounding like Tina Fey's dumber sister.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 09:18:04 PM »

It's attitudes like this that keep me a red avatar. Torie's one of the most reasonable Republicans by far, and yet even he can't tolerate a reasonable counterpoint from one of his own party.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2010, 09:29:52 PM by LunarCare »

Um, does anyone remember whom Heller defeated in 06 and by how much besides me?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »

Um, does anyone remember whom Heller defeated in 06 and by how much besides me?

The woman running for the Senate seat that didn't suggest bartering chickens for healthcare.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »

Well, he's right. Harry Reid is the most powerful person to come out of Nevada ever. Losing him isn't going to help the state..
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »

Well, he's right. Harry Reid is the most powerful person to come out of Nevada ever. Losing him isn't going to help the state..

Especially considering that Nevada's other senator is a discredited lame duck under federal and congressional investigation. 
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 10:53:13 AM »

It's attitudes like this that keep me a red avatar. Torie's one of the most reasonable Republicans by far, and yet even he can't tolerate a reasonable counterpoint from one of his own party.

Well, Heller probably doesn't really represent his district well with comments like that.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 11:08:33 AM »

Yes, I plead guilty.  A Pubbie supporting Reid is a felony. Anyway, putting aside my own little psychological problems, Heller's comment strikes me as political suicide. How on earth could he ever win a GOP primary again?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »

Yes, I plead guilty.  A Pubbie supporting Reid is a felony. Anyway, putting aside my own little psychological problems, Heller's comment strikes me as political suicide. How on earth could he ever win a GOP primary again?

Its not like he endorsed Reid or anything. It will be very hard without taken him out of context to a considerable degree, and that alone is pretty thin basis to run a strong primary challenge.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 05:36:38 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2010, 06:04:15 AM by Joe Republic »

Heller's comment strikes me as political suicide. How on earth could he ever win a GOP primary again?
Well, Heller probably doesn't really represent his district well with comments like that.

His district is R+5, not R+20.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 05:43:55 AM »

He's 100% correct. He's just stating simple facts here.
Guderian

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 05:51:23 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2010, 05:53:34 AM by Guderian »

Red avatars make me laugh. If this was some prominent Democrat in Kentucky talking two days before Mitch McConnell's increasingly likely defeat, you would be screaming bloody murder. Republicans living in Heller's district shouldn't wait for 2012 primary, they should throw him out now by voting for the Democrat running against him. Just to see if Nevada can survive without two precious incumbents.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »

Do you seriously think many Nevada Republicans will be happy to be reminded that they voted for Sharron Angle two years from now? (Assuming she wins, of course.) Because I certainly can't see it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 06:13:20 AM »

Red avatars make me laugh. If this was some prominent Democrat in Kentucky talking two days before Mitch McConnell's increasingly likely defeat, you would be screaming bloody murder. Republicans living in Heller's district shouldn't wait for 2012 primary, they should throw him out now by voting for the Democrat running against him. Just to see if Nevada can survive without two precious incumbents.

I'd be unhappy with the comment, but my thoughts wouldn't go first to primary. I'd have at least acknowledged that it was a comment with substance, and attempted to engage that first. Punch first, talk later is a horrible thing to practice.
Guderian

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 06:30:26 AM »

Another reason why this is so annoying is that Nevada is known for this backscratching, sleazy incumbency protection crap by both parties. No wonder so many of their politicans turn out to be immoral crooks.

Nichlemn

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 06:46:27 AM »

Ah, now I know why Heller didn't run against Reid. (Yes, he could have run in 2012, but he'd probably face a stronger general election opponent).
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 07:03:22 AM »

reid is more important than mcconnell in the senate (you know, he is the leader of the major party). And republicans don't need democrat's help to throw out good candidates. they do it alone.
Guderian

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 07:43:23 AM »

reid is more important than mcconnell in the senate (you know, he is the leader of the major party).

So what? Are you trying to say Republicans will never again have a Senate majority? Or are you too dumb to understand a concept of hypothetical example?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 07:58:49 AM »

Steady on, there's no need for the 'dumb' remark.

You really think that party unity is more important than common sense?

He clearly knows that Angle is a train-wreck in the offing, and not only will it hurt Nevada, it'll hurt the Republican brand in the state.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies