MD: Washington Post: Mikulski (D) ahead by 37
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:03:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  MD: Washington Post: Mikulski (D) ahead by 37
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MD: Washington Post: Mikulski (D) ahead by 37  (Read 3878 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »

New Poll: Maryland Senator by Washington Post on 2010-10-26

Summary: D: 64%, R: 27%, I: 0%, U: 9%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »

jmfcst, what happened?Huh??
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »

dude wasn't conservative = couldn't surf the conservative wave.  I would have won.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »

dude wasn't conservative = couldn't surf the conservative wave.  I would have won.

Won what? The White Evangelical vote?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »

Won what? The White Evangelical vote?

Of course. The Washington-Baltimore corridor is full of bible thumpers.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »

Can't say I quite understand the numbers coming out of Maryland polls this year.  They show an almost negative wave effect compared to virtually everywhere else in the country.

Either they're wrong or I really do need to move out of this god*-forsaken state.

* - There are truly very few Bible thumpers in the Baltimore/Washington corridor; accordingly, this reference is to a rhetorical god.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »

Can't say I quite understand the numbers coming out of Maryland polls this year.  They show an almost negative wave effect compared to virtually everywhere else in the country.

Either they're wrong or I really do need to move out of this god*-forsaken state.

* - There are truly very few Bible thumpers in the Baltimore/Washington corridor; accordingly, this reference is to a rhetorical god.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a state whose economy is heavily dependent on the federal government will vote for the party of bigger government.  And due to that government, the recession hasn't hurt Maryland much, relative to the rest of the country.  Hence, no wave there.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »

That's (very) debatable.
timmer123
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a state whose economy is heavily dependent on the federal government will vote for the party of bigger government.  And due to that government, the recession hasn't hurt Maryland much, relative to the rest of the country.  Hence, no wave there.

Did you ever live here?  Because you analyzed that perfectly.

Maryland's economy is artificially buttressed by the federal government.  If we were 1,000 miles from DC, this state would be suffering badly.

Also, one of the highest black populations in the county, and they'd vote Democrat no matter what the situation is.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:17:21 PM »

Maryland's economy is artificially buttressed by the federal government.  If we were 1,000 miles from DC, this state would be suffering badly.

Also, one of the highest black populations in the county, and they'd vote Democrat no matter what the situation is.

Yes Stark, they would.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:21:32 PM »

North Dakota gets plenty of government spending, and consequentially has a really low unemployment rate, and yet they seem to really really hate Democrats anyways.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »

Yeah, Maryland is a great state. The federal government is a huge portion of the economy, especially in the DC suburbs, and that's really provides a lot of stability in all recessions not just the latest one. But isn't that an argument for government as a stabilizing force?

I mean it's not like Maryland receives the most federal assistance per capita - we're not even in the top 10.

We are ranked usually 1st, 2nd or 3rd (switching with New Jersey or Connecticut) as wealthiest state in the nation. We have the wealthiest African-American majority county in the nation. We have reasonable Republicans. Every state should be like Maryland. Tongue
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2010, 11:11:35 PM by cinyc »

Can't say I quite understand the numbers coming out of Maryland polls this year.  They show an almost negative wave effect compared to virtually everywhere else in the country.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a state whose economy is heavily dependent on the federal government will vote for the party of bigger government.  And due to that government, the recession hasn't hurt Maryland much, relative to the rest of the country.  Hence, no wave there.

North Dakota gets plenty of government spending, and consequentially has a really low unemployment rate, and yet they seem to really really hate Democrats anyways.

Unlike Maryland, only a miniscule percentage of North Dakotans are federal employees.  As of 2006, North Dakota had 12,224 federal employees - roughly 2% of the population.  And I suspect some of them are air force personnel in Minot - who tend to skew more Republican than your typical federal government employee.  

Maryland had 278,906 federal employees - roughly 5% of the population.  The Maryland suburbs are also full of a lot of government contractors whose livelihood depends on federal government largess.

A good deal of Maryland's economy directly depends on the federal government.  North Dakota is an agricultural state with an increasing amount of oil and gas extraction activity.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »

North Dakota is booming because it is a commodities state and commodities have been booming. With the problems in Ukraine and Russia, prepare for a good year in the farm belt.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 03:41:29 AM »

That 3% more federal employees is clearly the only reason Mikulski is leading by 37%.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 04:18:08 AM »

That 3% more federal employees is clearly the only reason Mikulski is leading by 37%.

Yes, but in addition to the federal employees who just had a sudden epiphany about the size of government under the Democrats, there are blacks too!  Which is new, I guess.

I'm with Mr. Read.  Does anyone have a less zany explanation for Mikulski's ridiculous leads this year?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 09:08:55 AM »

Yes, but in addition to the federal employees who just had a sudden epiphany about the size of government under the Democrats, there are blacks too!  Which is new, I guess.

I'm with Mr. Read.  Does anyone have a less zany explanation for Mikulski's ridiculous leads this year?

Who said anything about sudden?  High percentage of government workers + blacks + post-grad educated = a hoplessly Democratic state.  Mikulski is an incumbent that Marylanders like.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »

Have you guys seen her next generation ad?  It might explain why even for her she has insanely high numbers this year.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »

Who said anything about sudden?  High percentage of government workers + blacks + post-grad educated = a hoplessly Democratic state.  Mikulski is an incumbent that Marylanders like.

Yes, and she was an incumbent Marylanders liked in 2006 too, when she didn't win by this much despite a much more Democratic year.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »

Damn that post-grad education.  We need to start burning down schools so that conservatism will be seen as good.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »

Yes, but in addition to the federal employees who just had a sudden epiphany about the size of government under the Democrats, there are blacks too!  Which is new, I guess.

So education=democrats...good that you admit it lol
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 08:10:58 PM »

Yes, but in addition to the federal employees who just had a sudden epiphany about the size of government under the Democrats, there are blacks too!  Which is new, I guess.

So education=democrats...good that you admit it lol

Democrats= the pretentiously overeducated and those with less than college or high school education.  In other words, a coalition of the not-so-smart and the I-think-I'm-smarter than you crowd.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »

Chip, meet shoulder?

(don't worry, I have plenty Smiley)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »

Democrats= the pretentiously overeducated and those with less than college or high school education.  In other words, a coalition of the not-so-smart and the I-think-I'm-smarter than you crowd.

It's quite interesting really.  Pretentious rich people want to increase social services and have progressive tax so the poor and middle class can be better off while the poor and middle class want to get rid of those things so the rich can pay less taxes.

I guess all humans just want to help each other out.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 03:23:38 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2010, 03:26:09 AM by Alcon »

Democrats= the pretentiously overeducated and those with less than college or high school education.  In other words, a coalition of the not-so-smart and the I-think-I'm-smarter than you crowd.

That's interesting.  I wasn't aware that pretension was a pre-requisite for a postgraduate degree (aka "overeducation"), or that having a  less-than-college education made someone "not-so-smart."  Plenty of folks in my graduating class didn't bother with college, and let me tell you, they'd find your framing job to be really charming.

I wonder when the coalition of people who will answer my question instead of soapboxing obnoxiously will arrive.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies