The Atlasian Regional Star - Federalist response from Sen. Antonio V
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:49:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Regional Star - Federalist response from Sen. Antonio V
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Regional Star - Federalist response from Sen. Antonio V  (Read 1920 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:17 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2011, 02:27:57 PM by Barnes »

Well, being in the Senate isn't exactly an all-time job, so I'm starting a newspaper. Expect updates shortly. Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2010, 09:37:04 PM by Senator Barnes »

It seems that all Altasian papers cover national events or they are simply blogs thinly veiled as news.

The Atlasian Regional Star, however, is targeted at regional news only. The ARS will strive to stay nonpartisan and, in that endeavour, will not issue any political favors or endorsements.

The ARS shall strive to inform all citizens about the actions of the regions of Atlasia, and show them the efforts being made to vitalize this game at the local level.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:19:22 PM »

Obviously I'm always happy to see regional-foucsed stuff. Huzzah! Grin
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2010, 09:38:32 PM by Senator Barnes »

25th October 2010

Changes in the Midwest

Today, Jas, retired Atlasian extraordinary, introduced a new Constitution for the Midwest in the region's legislature, know as the Alþing.

The proposed Constitution keeps the Alþing as it is (an all citizen assembly), but abolishes the Offices of Governor and Lt. Governor. In their place, it establishes the "Prime Verin" who is elected by the Alþing to serve as the presiding officer and head of government.

So, it sounds like the Midwest is throwing away Republicanism in favor of a Parliamentary Democracy. This, while a drastic move as far as Atlasia goes, is welcomed by the ARS.

We believe that, if this Constitution is approved, it will increase interest in Midwestern politics and show the diversity of the region.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »

I for one applaud Jas in introducing this new Constitution. More variety in how regional governments are constituted is a good thing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:39:31 PM »

Hey, who said Parliamentary Democracies cannot be Republican? Angry

My ancestors, in old country, were living in a Parliamentary Democratic Republic, Sir Angry
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »

25th October 2010

Changes in the Midwest

Today, Jas, retired Atlasian extraordinary, introduced a new Constitution for the Midwest in the region's legislature, know as the Alþing.

The proposed Constitution keeps the Alþing as it is (an all citizen assembly), but abolishes the Offices of Governor and Lt. Governor. In their place, it establishes the "Prime Verin" who is elected by the Alþing to serve as the presiding officer and head of government.

So, it sounds like the Midwest is throwing away Republicanism in favor of a Parliamentary Democracy. This, while a drastic move as far as Atlasia goes, is welcomed by the ARS.

We believe that, if this Constitution is approved, it will increase interest in Midwestern politics and show the diversity of the region.

We in the Midwest are extraordinarily grateful for your decision to spell "Alþing" properly!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 06:56:45 PM »

Hey, who said Parliamentary Democracies cannot be Republican? Angry

My ancestors, in old country, were living in a Parliamentary Democratic Republic, Sir Angry

Well by "Democracy" I mean an open form of government in the vein of ancient Athens. Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2010, 09:33:18 PM by Senator Barnes »

27th October 2010

Elections in the Northeast

The election for the Governor, Lt. Governor, and members of the Northeast Assembly, has just closed.  The election is the first one conducted for the Assembly since June, seeing as the August elections were never conducted.  In effect, leaving the Northeast without a legislature (or properly functioning government) since August.

As far as the election results go, it is very safe to assume that Han, the Speaker of the Assembly, has been elected Governor, and Fezzyfestoon has been reelected Lt. Governor.  Seeing as this paper isn't very good in the evil art know as "maths", we'll leave the Assembly results until later.

The region has really been held in gridlock ever since the Assembly shut down, so, hopefully, the election of Han, and a fresh Assembly, will help to reinvigorate the region.  

The ARS has the following suggestions for the next Governor:

-Work to reduce partisanship in the region and Assembly.
-Try and reduce the Assembly size to a fixed number. Ideally between three and five.
-Try and make the procedure of amending the constitution simpler.
-Think about consolidating offices. For example, abolishing the office of Lt. Governor.
-Try to pass legislation that creates an order of succession when the CJO (Chief Judicial Officer) is unwilling or unable to preform his duties.

The ARS would like to wish all the candidates elected the best of luck, and hopes the region will soon begin to flourish in participation and interest.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:29:20 PM »

This is shaping up to be an excellent paper, Barnes.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:32:18 PM »

Thank you very much! Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 03:25:05 AM »

^^^
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 10:39:15 PM »

I'd like to revive this paper.  I still intend for it to be regional oriented, but I plan to include more polls, interviews, and opinino pieces (both from the editor and submitted from the citizens). Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »

I look forward to seeing it revived Smiley
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »

Atlasia can never have too many papers! Good luck Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2011, 01:31:17 AM by Barnes »

The results of the ARS's first poll are in!

The ARS put forth the following question to Atlasians:
"Are you in favor of devolving some federal powers to the regions, but leaving electoral and international affairs to the Federal government? "

Size: 24 citizens, or 16.8% of the population.

Results
The basic numbers are as follows:
Those in favor: 19 votes; 72.9%
Those opposed: 4 votes; 16.7%
Undecided: 1 votes; 4.2%

The specific break down of the poll is as follows:
Strongly in favor: 15 votes; 62.5%
Somewhat in favor: 4 votes; 16.7%
Somewhat opposed: 1 vote; 4.2%
Strongly opposed: 3 votes; 12.5%

Analysis

The results of this poll show that nearly three-fourths of Atlasia support devolving more powers to the regions.  Even if only those saying they are strongly in favor are examined, that still amounts to over three-fifths of the population.

The ARS is very pleased by these numbers, and welcomes any actions by the federal government to allow the regions to have more diversity and flexibility on some issues.  But, in the spirit of listening to all sides, the ARS will endeavour to bring the opposition's side of the story in a forthcoming interview.

Look out for it. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 02:31:35 PM »

The ARS found Senator Antiono V (UDL - At-large) walking through a Senate corridor earlier today and pulled him by for a short question about the devolution issue

ARS Reporter: "Would you mind taking a few minutes and writing a little opinion piece about why devolution would be a bad idea?"
Senator Antonio V: "Well, it's not like I've studied the question as thoroughly as you, probably. I just think the regions have a lot of competences already, and don't lack topics to legislate about. I also think that devolving more powers to the regions might mean having more monolithic policy choice, as regions are usually either very liberal (the western ones) or very conservatives (the 3 eastern). The federal government is, overall, more balanced. Also, the federal government is better organized, and, compared to some regions, has more good-willing people (I know about that, as I'm a PA citizen ! ). Finally, I think I'm just a dirty federalist, and think some things are just better managed by a higher power that has an oversight on the national situation."

A few minutes later our reporter was ejected from the Senate by Sen. Yankee, who said:
"I'm tired of all these damn reporters swamping the Senate!"
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »

Glad to see this is back. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »

As nice as giving more powers to the regions sounds in general, it's really incredibly unfair to just give a blanket answer to that statement, IMO. It depends on each and every situation. To me, at least.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 08:54:46 PM »

As nice as giving more powers to the regions sounds in general, it's really incredibly unfair to just give a blanket answer to that statement, IMO. It depends on each and every situation. To me, at least.

Oh yes. We're not devoted to devolution, but mainly more recognition for the regions.

And I do agree with you that there should be a specific set if details, but the ARS just wanted a rough estimate of support. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 03:19:33 AM »

Meh, by reading this I realize maybe I had to review my answer before publishing it. I sould like an illiterate. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 07:56:41 AM »

That must have been someone else. I want the reporters to harass the Senators, to keep them active. Why do you think I spent two Senates tracking amendments? To give you people a measure of activity of Senators. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies