The Watson Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:53:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Watson Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Watson Timeline  (Read 1541 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »
« edited: October 14, 2010, 10:08:04 PM by Dr. Cynic »

Preface:

While I encorporated many of my old Americana character into my new Joe Blake character, I kinda missed writing under my own name. If any one wants to be interactive in this thing, they can. I never mind seeing posts other than my own. So, while unlike in Americana, Lawrence Watson will be the central character. This will be a bit different than the Americana offerings and I will not use the names of any Americana counterparts should their writer ask me not to. Hell, Mech can use this timeline to help out his own if he wishes, I'd be fine with that, although there will be some changes. In any case, this is a more complex history, exploring the psyche of maybe a good and decent man, but also a cagey, oppertunistic man. I'll still continue my work with the second Americana timeline in addition to this. I also must say another reason for doing this, recently, I came across a good deal of my own family's personal history. Things I never knew until just weeks ago. Certainly before I could've added them to the original Americana. Thanks and enjoy! (Also note: I'm using my family's real timeline, so it won't sync up with Americana's timeline, but rather, with my own life)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:09:40 PM »

1814:

James Watson is born in Tonbridge, England. He spends his childhood there before his family moves to Leeds.

1836:

James Watson (1814 - 1887) marries Harriet Kendall (1821-1866). They have several children together and move to Devonport, England. Harriet Kendall dies of lung cancer in 1866. James lives to an elderly age, passing away in 1887.

1844:

Phillip Samuel Watson (1844 - 1899) is born to James and Harriet Watson. One photograph of him is known to exist showing a small man with a long white beard and bald head, long jowly face, and soft, gentle looking eyes. His coat appears rumpled and too big for him. An observer would consider the elder Phillip Watson a ringer for American philanthropist Peter Cooper. Watson would marry a woman named Elizabeth Bowden and they would have 12 children. Three of them, Percy Bowden, Rodney Frederick, and Owen Phillip would eventually head to America. Phillip Watson dies before this happens, however, in 1899 at the family's longstanding home of Plymouth, Devon, England.

February 10th, 1875:

Percy Bowden Watson (1875 - 1950) is born in Plymouth, Devon, England to Phillip and Elizabeth Watson. Percy Watson was a rather wanderlust young man, given to traveling through England and Scotland on long treks in search of adventure, most often accompanied by his younger brother Rodney. While in Scotland, Percy fell in love with the granddaughter of German immigrants, Ada Alberta Fugler (1872 - 1960). Neither Phillip and Elizabeth nor Samuel P. and Martha J. Fugler approved of their children's union. Eventually, the dispute would tear not only Percy and his wife, but also two of his brothers, Rodney and Owen away from Plymouth to the United States. In 1900, just after the patriarch Phillip Watson's death, his will stipulated that none of the family's wealth was to go to Percy. In protest, Percy came to America with his two closest brothers and their families. Percy eventually settled in the steel town of Donora, Pennsylvania where he invested in steel and later ran an auto dealership. Percy and Ada only had one child, born premature and weighing only about 2lbs, Frederick Percy Watson was not supposed to survive long. Percy B. Watson dies at his home in Donora. His beloved wife would follow ten years later at her son's farmhouse "Ginger Hill" in Bentleyville, PA.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 11:04:33 PM »

Just like I told Kal: use Westman as you like.
Your TL, your rules.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »

Your TL, your rules.

I'll keep it in mind. He might just be peripheral. Or he could have a major role. Right now, just working on the family thing. I appreciate you reading and any feedback though.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 03:07:58 AM »

Your TL, your rules.

Please remove my character from this TL, if you ever intented to use.

Reason is simple, I feel his place is in a game, not any separate thread.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 03:29:17 AM »

Your TL, your rules.

Please remove my character from this TL, if you ever intented to use.

Reason is simple, I feel his place is in a game, not any separate thread.

Mmk. I won't use him.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 05:02:57 AM »

Reverend Frederick Percy Watson, born on August 23, 1912. Fred was the son of Percy and Ada Watson. Born in the smoggy steel town of Donora, Watson had been born premature by several weeks. Only 2lbs and small enough to fit in his father's hands, it wasn't thought that he would survive. Fred grew up to be a very tall and well built young man. He excelled in math and inherited a strong religious streak from his mother. He was a loquacious young man and found that young women were drawn easily to his funloving attitude. Fred was a politically active, first as a Republican. Although he would support later FDR, JFK and Hubert Humphrey's campaigns as well before ceasing to vote around 1980 after an accident in which he broke his ankle in 1977 made it difficult for him to get around to the polling places. Fred first attended Waynesburg College, earning a degree in Theology and later an Engineering degree at the University of Pittsburgh. He married Jean Lucretia Sellman (1917 - 1971) whom he met as an insurance agent for the Sellman family. Jean was the daughter of local constable William T. Sellman. The couple married in Frostburg, Maryland and settled originally in Donora, PA while Fred was an insurance man. It was in Donora that the couple's first two children were born. Dorothy Jean (1938 - 2006) and Brian Frederick (1940 - 2000). Fred went to work at U.S. Steel as a Weighmaster and the family moved to a 46 acre farm "Ginger Hill" in Bentleyville, PA. There they would have four more children: Ron (1942), Pam (1949), Barry (1955) and Kathleen (1959). Around this time, Watson also began as minister for Edwards Chapel, the nearby Methodist church. His childhood best friend, Marcus Yohe (1913 - 1998) was also a minister at Edwards Chapel.

In 1965, the family started on a downward spiral period. Brian, the eldest son was drafted into service and in 1966 he was sent to Korea and then by '67 he was in Vietnam. He would be wounded in the neck and sent home by 1969 where he found his fiancee had been killed in a car crash. Brian would never marry after this. Ron would serve jail time for a minor offense and then move away to California, then Colorado shortly thereafter, only occassionally returning. Jean Watson was diagnosed with renal cancer and eventually would die in August of 1971, devastating the family. Fred Watson lost the desire to work in the church and resigned as Minister in 1972, occassionally returning for guest preaching. He retired from U.S. Steel in 1977 upon breaking his ankle in a fall down the farm's hilly terrain. Shortly thereafter, "Ginger Hill" ceased being an active farm. Dorothy would be married in 1972 to Phillip Earhart and would live the rest of her life in Stafford, Virginia. Barry Watson would move to California after joining the Air Force. He would move around with them. North Dakota, Utah, and finally California before retiring with his wife Cindy and adopted son, John. Pam never married due to eccentric personality and health problems. Kathleen, a rebellious youth who loved the Beatles and counter-culture had two miscarraiges before her eldest son Lawrence was born on February 11th, 1988. His twin died, tempering the joy of his birth. Three more children, Christopher, Michael and Brandon would be born later.

Fred Watson enjoyed his two grandchildren, Lawrence and Chris, however, his health would become quite poor as time went on. On June 29th, 1996, the day after his grandson Michael was born, he was flown to Utah where he would be cared for in his final year by son Barry. He died there in Salt Lake City on May 30th, 1997 the night that Kathleen and the three grandchildren were to fly to visit him. Brandon, his final grandchild was born in 1999 after his death.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »

I know it's a bit dry at the moment, but I promise you it'll pick up. Smiley

Just going through some of my family's history Smiley
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 01:44:32 AM »

Update tomorrow when I get home from work.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »

Lawrence Watson born on February 11th, 1988, at Monongahela Valley Hospital began his life difficultly. His paternal twin died at birth and he came out weighing almost ten pounds at birth. Although his father would not be in the picture, he grew up in a very strong loving enviroment with his mother Kathleen, uncle Brian (with whom he was particularly close), aunt Pam and grandfather Fred. His brother Chris would come almost three years later. Lawrence enjoyed life at "Ginger Hill", living a carefree existence. At age 4, he moved to Monongahela, PA, a move that proved difficult for him for several years. His brothers Michael and Brandon would be born in 1996 and 1999 respectively. He formed an almost paternal bond with his youngest brother and enjoyed reading to him and watching Three Stooges shorts. Watson began performing in shows both professionally and non around jr. high school. Always heavy, Watson's frame allowed him to get casting as buffonish authority figures or second banana comedy roles throughout high school where he also served in student government as class President for all four years. He graduated from Point Park University with a degree in Cinema and Political Science.

He stayed in Pittsburgh, being homeless for a period of time through his inability to find work, before finally being able to find a steady job as a performer and party entertainer, then working in radio. In 2009, he met and fell in love with an Australian areonautical engineer named Laura. The two married in 2012. In 2014, he ran for and won a seat on Pittsburgh City Council thanks to him being known in the city for his radio commentary. After a term on council, he ran for the open House seat in 2020 and won by a threadbare margain, owing mostly, according to him, to campaign manager and close friend, Jim Lewis. Watson was one of the youngest members of the House, on 32 when he was sworn in. He served 2 terms in the lower house before running for the U.S. Senate in 2024. Facing an aging Bob Casey in the primary, Watson won his primary challenge and the general election in close fashion in a Democratic year.

Watson sat on the Judicial and Health, Labor, Education & Related Services committees, which were his two favorite assignments. He also chaired the sub-committee on European Affairs during his first term. The Senate is a glacially paced body and Watson chaffed early on at the lack of activity. Like his political idol, Hubert Humphrey, Watson's first term in the Senate was described as unbearable. Slowly, into his second term he finally made more meaningful connections among his peers. He authored legislation adding new employment programs.

At 48, he was nominated by the Democrats and elected President of the United States. Rotund, energetic, liberal, talkative... Watson was many good things to people, but also many bad things. Oppertunistic, manipulative and tempermental. An advocate of a World Congress, Watson's lasting foreign policy legacy as President was the reformation of the UN into the World Congress which passed and advocated legislation that members agreed to implement. It was also a better model of diplomacy than the UN. He also engaged in a power struggle with China, but avoided war, much to his acclaim. Domestically, Watson was a good President, although with personally limited economic understanding, Watson believed in a Social Democratic\Mixed economy. He expanded federal employment programs but did little to break CEOs away from their money, although he continued to advocate the status quo progressive income tax. After two terms, Watson found himself retired at 56. After his retirement, he spent two years lecturing before being named delegate to the World Congress term in Washington and then a second term when the Congress was set in London. He spent the next year after that enjoying traveling and living abroad before returning to a quiet retirement in Pittsburgh with his wife. His final years spent enjoying the company of his children and grandchildren and engaging in his hobbies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies