Atlas vs. AP Vote Count (Bush at 60.418M or 59.841M?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:19:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas vs. AP Vote Count (Bush at 60.418M or 59.841M?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas vs. AP Vote Count (Bush at 60.418M or 59.841M?)  (Read 3443 times)
Machiavel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:36:55 PM »

I've noticed that the vote total on the Atlas is significantly higher than the AP vote total that is still live-updating here: http://news.yahoo.com/electionresults

The Atlas has it as Bush 60,418,140, Kerry 56,949,003. The AP has Bush 59,841,499, Kerry 56,382,976. That's at least 1.1 million ballots the Atlas counts that the AP does not. The AP count on Yahoo has still been showing an increase of about 30-40K per candidate per day, nothing dramatic enough to indicate a massive pool of ballots still uncounted.

Is the Atlas count somehow more comprehensive than the AP's? If so, score another win for the Web over the MSM. As a Bush supporter, I'm also curious as to whether he has actually broken the 60 million vote barrier -- and if the conservative estimate is correct, if he is likely to given the number of votes still to be counted before the states certify?
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 10:49:39 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2004, 11:01:22 PM by agcat »

Didn't know there was such a difference in totals.  I'd like to know as well.  Where are all these ballots coming from anyway?  California absentees?  Late arriving military ballots?  Provisional ballots?  Where?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 01:59:23 AM »

Didn't know there was such a difference in totals.  I'd like to know as well.  Where are all these ballots coming from anyway?  California absentees?  Late arriving military ballots?  Provisional ballots?  Where?

I'm continuing voting on my personal diebold machine in my garage. Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 02:16:48 AM »

Come on now; I don't believe all of that conspiracy garbage about Diebold either.

If they really are stealing the election for the Republicans, please keep me in the dark; I don't like conspiracy theories and I'd feel stupid if one was actually proven to be true. :-)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:47:19 AM »

Come on now; I don't believe all of that conspiracy garbage about Diebold either.

If they really are stealing the election for the Republicans, please keep me in the dark; I don't like conspiracy theories and I'd feel stupid if one was actually proven to be true. :-)

I remember reading some stuff from a guy who believed that every election since 1968 was rigged by the CIA and that if America's actual opinions were to surface in an elections the Republican Party would lose in a landslide in every single election.

He based this off of the fact that he didn't personally know anybody who voted for the Republicans since that date.

I suppose we all believe some manner of craziness...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 02:50:48 AM »

I remember reading some stuff from a guy who believed that every election since 1968 was rigged by the CIA and that if America's actual opinions were to surface in an elections the Republican Party would lose in a landslide in every single election.

He based this off of the fact that he didn't personally know anybody who voted for the Republicans since that date.

Gotta love that anecdotal evidence.

A nonrandom poll of 20 or so voters is very accurate.....

Someone needs to take a statistics class, methinks.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 12:19:25 PM »

Dave's site and AP now match again pretty close

AP =>

Bush   60,366,245
 Kerry  56,938,043

Atlas =>

George W. Bush 60,418,140
 John Kerry  56,949,003 

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 12:34:14 PM »

Bush hits over 60m - how nice for the GOP psyche! Are any states gonna change hands?

Dave

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 01:10:39 PM »

Nym, with all the reasons you have to feel stupid that is the one you would pick?  Tongue

Votes are still being counted and various news sources will disagree based on the exact moment they choose to update.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 05:56:02 PM »

Gotta love that anecdotal evidence.

A nonrandom poll of 20 or so voters is very accurate.....

Someone needs to take a statistics class, methinks.

I've heard the same garbage as well.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 09:35:53 PM »

Based on track record, I would trust Dave's numbers and NOT trust APs!
GoldenSt8r
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 11:42:49 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

In 2000 I was told that California does not even begin counting the absentee ballots until hours after the polls close.  (First they tally the election day votes and report those.)  They have 28 days to finalize and certify.  Every state handles this differently, and even within a state different counties handle it differently.  I have no idea how early voting ballots are handled, or when.

Yesterday the CA numbers as reported by the CA Sec. of State website matched what Atlas was reporting, but today the Calif. numbers have increased by another 445,842 which is not yet reflected here.

Other than California, most other states have increased their numbers by less than 100,000 during the past week.  The exceptions are Virginia (+112,000), Arizona (+182,000), and Washington state (+723,000).  The totals for a few states have decreased (Huh), but not by more than 15,000 for any individual state.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 12:29:44 AM »

Nym, with all the reasons you have to feel stupid that is the one you would pick?  Tongue

Votes are still being counted and various news sources will disagree based on the exact moment they choose to update.

Ha. Yeah, I know being a liberal makes me so stupid already. ;-)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »

What states are the Atlas and AP counts different?
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 02:58:13 PM »

How many ballots are uncounted in Wisconsin? It would be a nice surprise if Bush could pull a victory oof there.
Moorein08
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 04:48:37 PM »

I have to say 60 million+, a good number for one of our greatest American Presidents!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies