CONFESSIONS OF A CULTURAL ELITIST
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:09:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CONFESSIONS OF A CULTURAL ELITIST
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CONFESSIONS OF A CULTURAL ELITIST  (Read 3318 times)
khirkhib

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2004, 03:47:44 PM »
« edited: November 12, 2013, 11:51:57 PM by True Federalist »

Win or Lose, Kerry Voters Are Smarter Than Bush Voters
By UNIVERSAL PRESS SYNDICATE/TED RALL

NEW YORK--Democratic hand wringing is surrealy out of hand. No one is criticizing the morally incongruous Kerry for running against a war he voted for while insisting that he would have voted for it again. Party leaders have yet to consider that NAFTA, signed into law under Clinton, may have cost them high-unemployment Ohio. No, Indiana Senator Evan Bayh, darling of the "centrist" Democratic Leadership Council, blames something else: the perception "in the heartland" that Democrats are a "bicoastal cultural elite that is condescending at best and contemptuous at worst to the values that Americans hold in their daily lives."

[...]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A proud member of the elite.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 04:59:47 PM »

Excellent Khirkhib!  Put those yokels in their place. Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 08:09:45 PM »

Excellent Khirkhib!  Put those yokels in their place. Smiley
Why do they lose any election without Clinton?

Oh, and I love the end.
 "watch cooler movies"

My theater a minute away from my house gets every new release.

"eat better food"

What the 2 ounces of sh*t you get at most "upscale" restaurants?.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 08:25:28 PM »

I hate to say things like this, but it is people like you who buy into this crap that make people believe that the majority of Democrats are against family values, morals, the kinds of things the vast majority of Americans -- southerners, westerners, and yankees -- take seriously.

Harry Reid as minority leader is a good first step.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 08:35:35 PM »

Just keep digging, Democrats.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 09:22:23 PM »

Harry Reid as minority leader is a good first step.

Reid is an absolute joke.  Not as big a joke as Daschle though...nobody is.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 09:50:12 PM »

I hate to say things like this, but it is people like you who buy into this crap that make people believe that the majority of Democrats are against family values, morals, the kinds of things the vast majority of Americans -- southerners, westerners, and yankees -- take seriously.

I agree, I can't take pleasure in this article without feeling the childish "I'm-just-playing-the-role-you-wrote-for-me" mentality. In fact, my first impression of this article is that it must have been written tongue-in-cheek.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 09:59:33 PM »

I hate to say it, and I'm probably going to alienate mostly everyone by sticking to this position, but this is not helping to solve the problem.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 12:13:47 AM »

I hate to say it, and I'm probably going to alienate mostly everyone by sticking to this position, but this is not helping to solve the problem.

Agreed. Elitism is bad. Advocating your positions is good, but no one should feel that they are better than anyone else.
khirkhib

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 03:36:32 AM »

Hey if democrats are going to be called elitists regardless of what we do we may as well enjoy it.  And we do watch better movies.  Then the box office stuff that is playing at the metroplex.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 04:11:42 AM »

Hey if democrats are going to be called elitists regardless of what we do we may as well enjoy it.  And we do watch better movies.  Then the box office stuff that is playing at the metroplex.

Maybe some Republicans will call Democrats elitists regardless of what they do.  However, unsure swing voters and the Republicans that don't aren't likely to be very impressed if we live up to what those Republicans say.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 07:01:10 AM »

I AM against all those things - 'family values', 'morals', etc.  What a bunch of intolerant, pointless, controlling, stultifying garbage.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 02:29:38 AM »

I AM against all those things - 'family values', 'morals', etc.  What a bunch of intolerant, pointless, controlling, stultifying garbage.

Opbeo, with all due respect, you're kind of out of the mainstream for a LOT of things -- foreign policy and social policy.
Brutus
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 02:50:53 AM »

I'm not against those things, but I am getting fed up with the idea that Democrats need to quote scripture every five minutes in order to win an election.  Why is it that morals and values are somehow incompatible with secularism?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 02:55:03 AM »

I'm not against those things, but I am getting fed up with the idea that Democrats need to quote scripture every five minutes in order to win an election.  Why is it that morals and values are somehow incompatible with secularism?

Agreed, Democrats tend to just not like to talk about their faith as publically; they feel that it should be between themselves and their Creator and that they don't want to impose it on others. Seems reasonable to me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 06:07:29 AM »

Opbeo, with all due respect, you're kind of out of the mainstream for a LOT of things -- foreign policy and social policy.

That's a fine compliment, Nation, thank you.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 02:39:24 PM »

Elitism is idiotic
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 02:42:27 PM »

Oh sure, just go around parading about how much better you are then the cultural elite.

You elitism elitist. 
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 04:05:21 PM »

Great article. It's a pity the Canada thing can't happen. It's kinda sad that to get elected we have to forgo all our principles.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 10:43:14 PM »

I finally agree with you on one thing Al.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 10:48:50 PM »

The party of Tip O'Neill continues to lurch to the party of Franken, Moore and Streisand.  I implore the vocal left elitists to please keep up the rhetoric and keep losing elections.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 03:09:10 AM »

Yet another reason why "FDR Democrat" is quickly becoming a synonym for "Republican".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 04:14:54 AM »

The party of Tip O'Neill continues to lurch to the party of Franken, Moore and Streisand.  I implore the vocal left elitists to please keep up the rhetoric and keep losing elections.

I would prefer the mindless minority of elitist idiots to shut up and stay shut up. Most of them really, really annoy me...
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 09:29:23 AM »

I would prefer the mindless minority of elitist idiots to shut up and stay shut up. Most of them really, really annoy me...

Then you shouldn't associate with Democrats.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 09:31:56 AM »

And Democrats call Republicans Fascist so whats your point? Should every right-wing/conservative writer out their starting writing about, "Ya We are Fascist and Were Proud of It", hell no. Same thing for the Democrats if this type of talk continues then you will keep losing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies