Roosevelt Beats Taft For the Republican Nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:54:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Roosevelt Beats Taft For the Republican Nomination
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roosevelt Beats Taft For the Republican Nomination  (Read 995 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »

What if, in 1912, Theodore Roosevelt and the Progressive Republicans succeeded in defeating Taft for the nomination?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:17:04 PM »

What if, in 1912, Theodore Roosevelt and the Progressive Republicans succeeded in defeating Taft for the nomination?

A very interesting scenario.  Part of me is thinking that after 16 years in power the US would be tired of Republicans in the White House, but another part of me says that Taft Republicans didn't have the balls to run a third party ticket and thus lead to massive vote splitting favoring the Democrat.  I imagine that if the race were down to Roosevelt and Wilson Wilson would emphasize his idea of the "New Freedom" more to combat criticism that there was not that much difference between his perceived "progressivism" and Roosevelt's "progressivism.  I imagine that due to Roosevelt's popularity the Republicans stay in office for four more years at least.

If Roosevelt gets the US involved in World War I pre-1916 he might lose re-election, depending on how unpopular the cause for interventionism would be at the time.  Personally, I think a pretty interesting scenario would be President Roosevelt be elected in 1912, stay in office for eight years after which people get progressive Republican fatigue, and at the 1920 Democratic National Convention the Tammany Democrats ultimately win in the battle with the Bryanite faction with the nomination of New York Governor Alfred E. Smith, who goes onto win a landslide victory (I imagine in the neighborhood of 57.21% Popular Vote, 420 or so Electoral Votes) while being the first Democrat in a LONG time to win less than 55% of the southern white vote, but also managing to win over 50% of the New England vote (winning 56% of the vote in Massachusetts, 54% in Rhode Island).  This would result in a most interesting political landscape up to the present day.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 08:33:54 PM »

I imagine that Taft would just sit back and watch the excitement, while Roosevelt (probably with Johnson still on the bottom of the ticket) would squeak out a victory due to his popularity through 1901-09. I can easily see him getting reelected in 1916 as a strong war-time President (he definitely would've brought the U.S. into WWI in 1915, after the Lusitania). Then he would die in 1919 and Johnson would lose reelection to a conservative Democrat such as John W. Davis. It certainly would be an interesting scenario.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies