jmfcst's Astronomy Photos - part2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:21:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  jmfcst's Astronomy Photos - part2
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: jmfcst's Astronomy Photos - part2  (Read 2012 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2010, 04:26:25 AM »
« edited: September 25, 2010, 06:12:11 AM by jmfcst »

2010-Sep-25 02:32 am CDT
152mm Astro-Physics Starfire f9
Philips ToUCam ProII
TeleVue 2.5x PowerMate
Processed in RegiStax v5 and Photoshop CS2

here is a reprocessed version (pic above was overprocessed which caused the moons to show as white blobs)

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »

probably my last attempt to take pics for several months.  gonna concentrate on building an observatory, Lord willing.  then I'll bring out the big boys (two 14 inch SCT telescopes instead of the 6 inch telescope I've been using for these pics) and a much better camera instead of using a web cam.  images should then be a couple of magnitudes better and will be able to resolve surface details on the moons of Jupiter. 

once the observatory is built, planning on starting an astronomy club in our church to use as a means to bring the Gospel to more kids.  There are a lot of astronomical references within the scripture and I'll put together a Christian curriculum to use within the astronomy club.  will have the ability to take pictures of deep space objects like galaxies and nebula, along with the planets and sun, with the added bonus of being able to track and image man-made satelites like the international space station and the shuttle. results should be good enough to stir up the interest of the local media.  once that happens, I'm going to contact NASA in houston and attempt to bring in some Christian Astronauts to speak to the church youth group.

I'm asking for Christian forum members to pray about this.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »

You're asking them to pray for the success of your pet project? That's... interesting.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »

You're asking them to pray for the success of your pet project? That's... interesting.

what's interesting about asking Christians to pray for the spreading of the Gospel to youth?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 11:18:59 AM »

what's interesting about asking Christians to pray for the spreading of the Gospel to youth?

I know you say you are in awe of creation and all (not that I don't believe you), but it seems more like you're trying to spread interest your hobby than the Gospel. There's nothing wrong with that of course, it's just a rather odd thing to pray for IMO.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 11:32:35 AM »

I know you say you are in awe of creation and all (not that I don't believe you), but it seems more like you're trying to spread interest your hobby than the Gospel. There's nothing wrong with that of course, it's just a rather odd thing to pray for IMO.

more like - if I'm going to spend the money building an observatory, might was well get the best use out of it.  Of course, I will have at least one other parent other than my wife to chaperone  - not going to open myself up to allegations with a bunch of kids staying up all night with me.

there is a whole list of reasons why I want to build an observatory.  spreading the gospel is just one of them, but is probably has the potential to be the most influential.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 11:34:37 AM »

more like - if I'm going to spend the money building an observatory, might was well get the best use out of it.  Of course, I will have at least one other parent other than my wife to chaperone  - not going to open myself up to allegations with a bunch of kids staying up all night with me.

there is a whole list of reasons why I want to build an observatory.  spreading the gospel is just one of them, but is probably has the potential to be the most influential.

Fair enough.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 11:34:48 AM »

Christians pray for success on projects, goals, whatever endeavors they are doing all the time and often ask others to pray for them. It's not in any way unusual. Regardless, personally I think it's an awesome idea, but I love astronomy, so I'm biased. Tongue
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »

Of course, I will have at least one other parent other than my wife to chaperone  - not going to open myself up to allegations with a bunch of kids staying up all night with me.

Really, really good idea.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »

the pics from last year were taken with a 6 inch refractor....but this weekend I'm planning on bringing out the 14 inch SCT and getting some pics of Jupiter (I'll be using the same cheap webcam for a camera, though).  It's southern equatorial belt is no longer faded, so that should make for a good contrast compared to last year.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »

Only time I worked with telesopes was when I was like six and got one for Christmas. As excited as I was, I couldn't figure out how to work it and gave up. So congratulations on actualy seeing something with your telescope.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »

I now officially consider you an FF.

Astronomy was a huge interest of mine when I was little and I think that if I had known any amateur astronomers I might have stuck with it longer.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 04:19:19 PM »

the pics from last year were taken with a 6 inch refractor....but this weekend I'm planning on bringing out the 14 inch SCT and getting some pics of Jupiter (I'll be using the same cheap webcam for a camera, though).  It's southern equatorial belt is no longer faded, so that should make for a good contrast compared to last year.

don't appear the atmosphere is going to be cooperative....maybe next weekend
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »

Matthew 6:10  "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven."

I'm pretty sure the antecedent to which "thy" refers is not jmfcst.

That aside, awesome pictures bro! 

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies