Who will become the next Senator from Delaware?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:07:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will become the next Senator from Delaware?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Who will become the next Senator from Delaware?  (Read 32000 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2010, 03:26:17 AM »

Coons could suspend his campaign for the rest of the race tomorrow and he'd still win by at least 5 points in November. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2010, 07:00:36 AM »

Al is right. This is basically on the level as if that joke candidate Flyers supported in 2006 beat Bob Casey in the primary.

Oh, God, Chuck Penacchio? Back when I still posted on MyDD, the true believers there were convinced that he would somehow beat Casey (and then Santorum). When I asked how he would do that despite having raised no money, they waved off that concern with "the money will come" when he was nominated.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2010, 07:32:58 AM »

Well Opebo has one thing in common with O'Donnell.   Think Condemns are evil, or in O'Donnell's case "anti-human"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42288.html#ixzz0zl3e0X36

It does prevent life which is true. And circumcision brings down the AIDs rate.

So the government should be allowed to ban contraception devices like condoms as some states did until the early 60's?

Why are people here such shallow thinkers. Why would you assume I'd think that?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »

Jesus, the most significant in decades?

One of; the distinction is important. But how many other significant primaries (that is; primaries that were significant as events in their own right) over the past fifty years can you think of?

I don't know. But I do think that it is now possible; if it can happen in Delaware it can happen anywhere. What does that mean? That's a serious question; I don't know. What does it mean? I repeat that this sort of thing, in theory, does not happen.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2010, 11:49:47 AM »

Well Opebo has one thing in common with O'Donnell.   Think Condemns are evil, or in O'Donnell's case "anti-human"

So the government should be allowed to ban contraception devices like condoms as some states did until the early 60's?

If your moral opposition to condoms is strong enough to stop using them in Africa, where it's pretty evident they're the most effective and cost-effective tactic, it's not entirely unbelievable that you'd support a ban in the U.S. too.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »

If your moral opposition to condoms is strong enough to stop using them in Africa, where it's pretty evident they're the most effective and cost-effective tactic, it's not entirely unbelievable that you'd support a ban in the U.S. too.

What Alcon said. Besides, both legally (see Griswold v. Connecticut and its impact on Roe v. Wade a few years later; both holding there is a right to privacy derived from the Constitution) and politically (O'Donnell's unconditional opposition to abortion under every set of circumstances and apparent opposition to legalized contraception is not uncoincidental either---Rick Santorum expressed similar views while still a senator.)

Besides, I don't think that coming from someone ardently in favor of criminalizing abortion (which, IIRC, you are--right?), your statement that contracpetives "prevent life" makes at least questioning--NOT accusing you, note--whether you support outlawing them as well is hardly a great leap of faith.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »

why is this discussion stickied? i don't see where it's going
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »

why is this discussion stickied? i don't see where it's going

Because one way or the other, it will be of vital importance to the forum community after November 2nd.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »

Al is right. This is basically on the level as if that joke candidate Flyers supported in 2006 beat Bob Casey in the primary.

Oh, God, Chuck Penacchio? Back when I still posted on MyDD, the true believers there were convinced that he would somehow beat Casey (and then Santorum). When I asked how he would do that despite having raised no money, they waved off that concern with "the money will come" when he was nominated.

Ah, so that was his name, I forgot that even. That's rather amusing. How did they explain how he was going to beat Casey and thus get the nomination resulting "the money coming"?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:50 PM »

Ah, so that was his name, I forgot that even. That's rather amusing. How did they explain how he was going to beat Casey and thus get the nomination resulting "the money coming"?

On Daily Kos, everything came back to "Paul Wellstone did it!"
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2010, 01:15:38 AM »

How long until Beet declares Paladino the winner of the governor's race in NY? He's already saying that if Paladino had more time it could get really competitive.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2010, 03:21:56 AM »

How long until Beet declares Paladino the winner of the governor's race in NY? He's already saying that if Paladino had more time it could get really competitive.
But Paladino has more "likes" on FB!!!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2010, 06:37:46 AM »

And Len Britton will win in VT, I tell you!
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2010, 07:20:34 AM »

On Daily Kos, everything came back to "Paul Wellstone did it!"

Yeah, that's it. This was also the period in which the MyDD people were absolutely obsessed with "framing", convinced that if they could put the right spin on issues that the Democrats would never lose again.

I also remember them trying to argue that an Internet poll showing Penacchio winning was somehow proof that he could win, despite the fact that the one or two real polls put him in single digits.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2010, 12:02:54 PM »

But Paladino has more "likes" on FB!!!

I actually heard Ron Paulites argue based on that for why Paul was going to win in 2008.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »

Why are you guys making fun of me? I've already said Cuomo's going to win. I said that in the first post. I explained the FB thing...

... it's no different from any other anecdotal evidence. "Oh I was out driving today and I saw tons of signs for X, but I saw no Y signs. I still think Y is going to win..." If somebody said something like that, you wouldn't make fun of it, would you? It would be just another comment. Yet I bring up FB, which is just the same thing except numerically larger, and suddenly it's something to be dismissed? Come on.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2010, 02:03:37 PM »

Why are you guys making fun of me? I've already said Cuomo's going to win. I said that in the first post. I explained the FB thing...

... it's no different from any other anecdotal evidence. "Oh I was out driving today and I saw tons of signs for X, but I saw no Y signs. I still think Y is going to win..." If somebody said something like that, you wouldn't make fun of it, would you? It would be just another comment. Yet I bring up FB, which is just the same thing except numerically larger, and suddenly it's something to be dismissed? Come on.

Yes, and we rightly have before.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2010, 02:04:28 PM »

Reminds me of Phil's "McCain will win Pennsylvania no matter what the polls say because I've talked to lots of Democrats who say they're voting for McCain." deal.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2010, 02:07:52 PM »

I don't know. I disagree. If you looked only at poll numbers, you would have predicted a Trey Grayson win in the summer of 2009. You would have predicted a Hillary Clinton win in late 2007. You would have predicted a Martha Coakley win in December 2009.

The point is, you would have nothing better to go on but the polls. I do not believe this. I think you can get ahead of the polls -- predict not just what the vote will be based on polls, but predict what the polls will be based on other things, such as
1) fundraising
2) volunteers
3) signs, likes, comments, and other signs of enthusiasm online
4) quality of ads
and so on and so on. Granted, it's not as "scientific", and there's a greater chance of being way off, but it's better than sitting around waiting for the polls and then robotically interpreting them. Anyone can do that.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2010, 03:18:31 PM »

There are also dozens of examples of races where you would have predicted a certain candidate to win several months out based on polling and then, hey, they actually did win!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »

Castle is considering (a la Murkowski) running a write-in campaign.

Hmm.

Castle          21 %
Coons          37
O'Donnell     42
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »

Every time one of you people posts numbers, I immediately get excited. And then I realize it's not a freakin' poll, just guessing. And then I feel like I've just been had.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »

The lastest nutter comments from her to come to light have her declaring that she can stop all of America from having sex.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/09/video_of_christine_odonnell_im.html
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »

The lastest nutter comments from her to come to light have her declaring that she can stop all of America from having sex.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/09/video_of_christine_odonnell_im.html

So I take it the establishment's plan is to never let this election be about real issues?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2010, 09:02:32 PM »

So I take it the establishment's plan is to never let this election be about real issues?

O'Donnell is part of the establishment.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies