State by state polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:57:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  State by state polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State by state polls  (Read 4296 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2004, 11:13:48 AM »

If Kerry can win Florida (or Arizona) he could win the election:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/bush_vs_kerry_sbys.html
CTguy

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 11:21:15 AM »

Wow those numbers look terrible for Bush.  I cant believe the turn around in New Hampshire of 18 points.  I have a feeling that the only reason Bush won New Hampshire last time was because of the drawn out Republican primary in the state last time coupled with the fact that Nader was in the race.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 11:35:07 AM »

i dont think the numbers are that bad.  most of the polling on that site was taken last month.
CTguy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 12:03:34 PM »

Are you kidding?  He is losing in the battleground states that should be leaning Republican and he had a complete turnaround in some states he won last time (like New Hampshire).

Also, the undecideds usually break for the challenger, especially a democrat, since undecided voters tend to be women and people with less money.  

I don't know where all of those polls are coming from so the numbers are suspect, but if the numbers are accurate then Bush is in a lot of trouble.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 01:13:43 PM »

Apparently, the NH poll was a methodological mess and not trustworthy.
CTguy

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 01:43:43 PM »

I could believe the New Hampshire poll though.  Even though the state doesn't have as many democrats as most other Northeastern States, the democrats there are highly partisan whereas the republicans don't seem as thrilled about Bush.  All of my friends from New Hampshire loathe Bush as if they were from any other liberal New England state...  so I think Bush is going to have a real tough time there unless he gets every single Republican in the state out to vote.  

Also I think the gun issue really helped him in 2000 in New Hampshire as the state has a libertarian bent...  but this year the issue doesn't seem as important and he seems to be pissing off libertarians with some of his policies like that patriot act that seem to be about taking away individual liberties.  

But still...  I would have thought Kerry would be up 5 or 10 points there...  not such a wide spread.  That result was rather shocking.  New Hampshire has two very conservative US Senators...  perhaps these new poll numbers will cause them to think about their voting records...  It seems to me like they're going to have to start voting like the moderate Republican senators in Maine rather than like the conservatives in the South if they want to keep getting elected.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 01:48:59 PM »

if kerry cant perform any better than he has over the last couple of weeks, he is going to get his hat handed to him in november.

he has strayed way off message.  he could be talking about the millions of jobs lost, instead he is talking about foreign leaders who support him and claiming colin powell has been marginalized.  

i think his message for today is "i didnt say 'foreign leaders', just 'leaders'"

i also think i heard him attempt to split hairs over funding the troops.  now he claims he didnt vote against the package, but rather, he voted for an alternate amendment of some sort.

im sure that legislative double-speak will go over well with the public.   earth to kerry...

The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 02:52:53 PM »

I could believe the New Hampshire poll though.  Even though the state doesn't have as many democrats as most other Northeastern States, the democrats there are highly partisan whereas the republicans don't seem as thrilled about Bush.  All of my friends from New Hampshire loathe Bush as if they were from any other liberal New England state...  so I think Bush is going to have a real tough time there unless he gets every single Republican in the state out to vote.  

Also I think the gun issue really helped him in 2000 in New Hampshire as the state has a libertarian bent...  but this year the issue doesn't seem as important and he seems to be pissing off libertarians with some of his policies like that patriot act that seem to be about taking away individual liberties.  

But still...  I would have thought Kerry would be up 5 or 10 points there...  not such a wide spread.  That result was rather shocking.  New Hampshire has two very conservative US Senators...  perhaps these new poll numbers will cause them to think about their voting records...  It seems to me like they're going to have to start voting like the moderate Republican senators in Maine rather than like the conservatives in the South if they want to keep getting elected.

I looked over the New Hampshire poll in some detail... it is methodologic disaster - My Cat could design a better poll...

I have New Hampshire, as per my map, in the kerry Column, but 15 points is just on drugs... it's Kerry +6 or 7, but +15... somebody is smoking crack....
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 04:43:39 PM »

if kerry cant perform any better than he has over the last couple of weeks, he is going to get his hat handed to him in november.

he has strayed way off message.  he could be talking about the millions of jobs lost, instead he is talking about foreign leaders who support him and claiming colin powell has been marginalized.  

i think his message for today is "i didnt say 'foreign leaders', just 'leaders'"

i also think i heard him attempt to split hairs over funding the troops.  now he claims he didnt vote against the package, but rather, he voted for an alternate amendment of some sort.

im sure that legislative double-speak will go over well with the public.   earth to kerry...

I agree, Kerry has sounded like an absolute idiot as of late.  He doesn't need to go making these outrageous claims to get votes.  Unfortunately, Bush has sounded like a moron to me for 4 years.  Either way, a moron is going to be president.  I'll support Kerry because I'm in favor of a more liberal nation in general, but its looking more and more like lose-lose to me.  Unless Edwards is selected as VP.  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies