59% of Americans support the liberal position on...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:56:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  59% of Americans support the liberal position on...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 59% of Americans support the liberal position on...  (Read 3951 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:46:39 PM »

PPACA, the stimulus, immigration reform, cap and trade, Obama's stance on the Manhattan Mosque, etc. are all unpopular.

However, there is one major pocketbook issue with a high profile, and only one, in which Obama's position is actually more popular. It's his only chance...

Drumroll....

"A majority of Americans favor letting the tax cuts enacted during the Bush administration expire for the wealthy. While 37% support keeping the tax cuts for all Americans, 44% want them extended only for those making less than $250,000 and 15% think they should expire for all taxpayers."
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:48:09 PM »

This is why Obama is standing so firm on this.  His people have looked at the polls and believe that this is a fight that they will win. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »

A family making 260k isn't close to rich.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »

LOL Gallup
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »

This is why Obama is standing so firm on this.  His people have looked at the polls and believe that this is a fight that they will win. 

Too bad congressional Democrats aren't secure in their ideology.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »

So, I put in married, no children, standard deduction, $260k into this tax calculator, and their taxes will GO DOWN by $155 under the Democratic proposal.

http://www.mytaxburden.org/
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »

First, LOL. $260k is rich even in NYC. Not obscene, but rich.

The change to their taxes would also be to their benefit. Their uppermost tax bracket goes up less than 3%, but that only accounts for $10,000 of their income. Their lower tax brackets decline, more than making up for that ~$300 increase.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »

The change to their taxes would also be negligible. Less than 3% of $10,000.

In total gross wages a family wouldn't even bring home nearly that much, sorry.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »

LOL. What the hell are you actually smoking to think that?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »

Read the post above, just because a FAMILY makes 260k gross doesn't mean they are bringing that home. After expenses such as mortgage, insurance utilities etc, it's not as much as you think.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 04:12:08 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2010, 04:13:44 PM by Verily »

I know that, doesn't matter. I'm not an idiot. $260k gross is rich, period. If you can afford a Park Slope brownstone, you're rich (and $260k gross is enough).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 04:14:46 PM »

I know that, doesn't matter. $260k gross is rich, period. If you can afford a Park Slope brownstone, you're rich.

Then we have public employees who are rich, by your standards. Hilarious! Why should government employees be allowed to become rich on our dime?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/income/2010-08-10-1Afedpay10_ST_N.htm
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »

I know that, doesn't matter. I'm not an idiot. $260k gross is rich, period. If you can afford a Park Slope brownstone, you're rich (and $260k gross is enough).

In Upstate New York, if you make $260,000, you can fairly easily afford a very nice 3,500 square foot home.  This is plenty of money in most places. 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2010, 04:22:12 PM by Verily »

I know that, doesn't matter. $260k gross is rich, period. If you can afford a Park Slope brownstone, you're rich.

Then we have public employees who are rich, by your standards. Hilarious! Why should government employees be allowed to become rich on our dime?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/income/2010-08-10-1Afedpay10_ST_N.htm

Well, because if we didn't pay them that much, we would have sh**tty government workers because the highly trained ones would work in the private sector.

Government work generally requires a lot more education than working in a factory, so government workers are highly paid on average. Control for education levels and watch what happens to those numbers.

(Not really denying inflated pensions here, but that's something of a different story as every politician of every stripe supports higher pensions while in office and then decries them later while on the lecture circuit.)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »

Read the post above, just because a FAMILY makes 260k gross doesn't mean they are bringing that home. After expenses such as mortgage, insurance utilities etc, it's not as much as you think.

By that logic, those of us who make close to 26k rather than 260k, take home absolutely nothing.

260k isn't just rich, its super-rich.   If you make 10 times what the average person makes, how is that not considered rich?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »

By that logic, those of us who make close to 26k rather than 260k, take home absolutely nothing.

260k isn't just rich, its super-rich.   If you make 10 times what the average person makes, how is that not considered rich?

LOL, 260k "super-rich"?  Nope, more like upper middle class.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »

Most people who make that much don't live in a dirt poor neighborhood and drive a junker. As income increases many people get themselves into debts that fit their income. A family that grosses 260k can have a devastating financial disaster just as quickly as one who makes 26k a year.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »

260K is a tiny elite.  rich.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »

Most people who make that much don't live in a dirt poor neighborhood and drive a junker. As income increases many people get themselves into debts that fit their income. A family that grosses 260k can have a devastating financial disaster just as quickly as one who makes 26k a year.

Ah yes, the choices one has to make.....

260k:  "Hmm, it will be tough to pay off my Mercedes, my Jaguar, and my Yacht and still make a huge contribution to my IRA this year so I can retire at a Caribbean resort"

26k:  "Hmm, do I pay my utillity bill, the rent for my apartment, or help mamma pay for the prescriptions that keep her alive"
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 05:41:23 PM »

260k:  "Hmm, it will be tough to pay off my Mercedes, my Jaguar, and my Yacht and still make a huge contribution to my IRA this year so I can retire at a Caribbean resort"

You're out of touch if you believe that, or just clueless, sorry. Anyway, 260k before taxes etc won't get you all of that.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 05:44:39 PM »

You're out of touch if you believe that, or just clueless, sorry. Anyway, 260k before taxes etc won't get you all of that.

I know people who make that kind of money and who can easily do those things, thank you very much.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »

I know people who make that kind of money and who can easily do those things, thank you very much.

In podunk TN maybe, but what about California, NY, or certain parts of TX and FL?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 05:50:32 PM »

In podunk TN maybe, but what about California, NY, or certain parts of TX and FL?

And just think about what people making 26k or less in California, NY, TX, or FL have to deal with....
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »

with federal and state taxes we are really talking about people making about $150K.
i dont consider that rich, but relatively speaking, you could say it is.
it's quite a bit more than most people make, but it's not people who don't have to worry about expenses. the financial situation of a person depends on a lot more than income. i imagine its quite common for someone making that much to be helping out parents, children and extended family who are not.

cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 03:23:16 AM »

This is why the survey results are unsurprising.  We're not rich.  Those other people are rich.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies