NY GOP Gubernatorial Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:51:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiį, Gracile)
  NY GOP Gubernatorial Primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY GOP Gubernatorial Primary  (Read 1714 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2010/09/11/tight_gop_race_for_new_york_governor.html

43% Lazio
42% Paladino

Just saying I kind of called this in a previous thread. Lazio is not a shoe-in in this primary. Let's discuss.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »

While obviously Cuomo will win by double digits, how does Paladino do compared with Lazio? Better, worse, or the same?
xavier110
United States
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »

While obviously Cuomo will win by double digits, how does Paladino do compared with Lazio? Better, worse, or the same?

At this point, the same...but they're both in the high twenties in current polling. LOL. Paladino will play stronger upstate; Lazio could keep it somewhat close in Long Island.

Paladino, if he were to win, would split the GOP/Conservative lines (Lazio tops the Conservative ticket). I'd like to see a Cuomo/Paladino/Lazio map.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »

Paladino, if he were to win, would split the GOP/Conservative lines (Lazio tops the Conservative ticket). I'd like to see a Cuomo/Paladino/Lazio map.

Wouldn't that be all red?
xavier110
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2010, 01:43:10 PM by xavier110 »

Wouldn't that be all red?

Yes. Cuomo would win every county, but I'd like to see how Paladino/Lazio fare. Would it be similar to Tuesday's primary results? Would there be any non-NYC counties where the GOP nominee can't break the double digits?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:14:12 AM »

Hilarious. I've got my fingers crossed for Paladino.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 02:35:48 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2010, 03:21:31 PM by redcommander »

Let this be a lesson to the Republican party leadership in the state to pursue other candidates besides two big names (Giuliani and Pataki) for your Governor and Senate seats. There were plenty of potential people they could have gotten who would have made the Gillibrand and Cuomo races competitive, but instead the brilliant Ed Cox decided that it had to be someone who was well known by the state already. Well when you put your eggs in one basket Mr. Cox, you end up getting a bunch of no names that show very inclination of being successful in getting themselves well known to New York voters on what could possibly be one of the worst statewide tickets in New York history.  I will give Lazio the edge in being electable because of Paladino's racism and sexism, but even then, Lazio would be lucky enough to reach 40% in the GE even in this current environment.

I didn't hear much seriousness about getting one of these people to run, all of whom could have made competitive races:

James Walsh
Susan Molinari
John McHugh (Convinced him before accepting an appointment in Obama's administration)
Greg Edwards
Kathleen Jimino
Andrew Lanza
Catherine Young
Maggie Brooks
Brian Kolb

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 02:56:10 AM »

Let this be a lesson to the Republican party leadership in the state to pursue other candidates besides two big names (Giuliani and Pataki) for your Governor and Senate seats. There were plenty of potential people they could have gotten who would have made the Gillibrand and Cuomo races competitive, but instead the brilliant Ed Cox decided that it had to be someone who was well known by the state already. Well when you put your eggs in one basket Mr. Cox, you end up getting a bunch of no names that show very inclination of being successful in getting themselves well known to New York voters on what could possibly be one of the worst statewide tickets in New York history.  I will give Lazio the edge in electable because of Paladino's racism and sexism, but even then, Lazio would be lucky enough to reach 40% in the GE even in this current environment.

I didn't hear much seriousness about getting one of these people to run, all of whom could have made competitive races:

James Walsh
Susan Molinari
John McHugh (Convinced him before accepting an appointment in Obama's administration)
Greg Edwards
Kathleen Jimino
Andrew Lanza
Catherine Young
Maggie Brooks
Brian Kolb

NONE of them would have made competitive races.....
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 03:53:05 AM »

Let this be a lesson to the Republican party leadership in the state to pursue other candidates besides two big names (Giuliani and Pataki) for your Governor and Senate seats. There were plenty of potential people they could have gotten who would have made the Gillibrand and Cuomo races competitive, but instead the brilliant Ed Cox decided that it had to be someone who was well known by the state already. Well when you put your eggs in one basket Mr. Cox, you end up getting a bunch of no names that show very inclination of being successful in getting themselves well known to New York voters on what could possibly be one of the worst statewide tickets in New York history.  I will give Lazio the edge in electable because of Paladino's racism and sexism, but even then, Lazio would be lucky enough to reach 40% in the GE even in this current environment.

Dude, if you think Cox was planning for Lazio to be the GOP nominee, you're smoking higher quality crack than I am
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 04:20:09 AM »

Dude, if you think Cox was planning for Lazio to be the GOP nominee, you're smoking higher quality crack than I am

Poor Lunar... he can't afford the good sh*t.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:34 AM »

Think it would look close to 1990?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »

Think it would look close to 1990?

Andrew Cuomo is going to end up with a fair bit more than 53% of the vote, so it will probably only be a few counties that he doesn't win; it'll even fewer if the Republicans are split between two candidates.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 10:02:54 AM »

Cuomo's map probably won't be all that different from Spitzer's honestly.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »

No I meant he was certain that Giuliani and Pataki would run, and when they didn't he had a major fail as party leader.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »

James Walsh
Susan Molinari
Greg Edwards
Kathleen Jimino
Andrew Lanza
Catherine Young
Maggie Brooks
Brian Kolb

What makes you assume that?
xavier110
United States
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »

James Walsh
Susan Molinari
Greg Edwards
Kathleen Jimino
Andrew Lanza
Catherine Young
Maggie Brooks
Brian Kolb

...they're...also no names. At least Lazio is an established, somewhat well-known politician. The others are non-entities. They are no different from the Blakemans and the Malpasses. Anyone the GOP puts up who isn't Giuliani or Pataki is a sacrificial lamb.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »

James Walsh
Susan Molinari
Greg Edwards
Kathleen Jimino
Andrew Lanza
Catherine Young
Maggie Brooks
Brian Kolb

As Xavier said they are no names, not to mention this is New York.  The moment Cuomo was in the Governor's race, it was over period.   Perhaps they could have run slightly better against Gillibrand, but not much. 
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 04:22:20 PM »

Being a no name doesn't make you unelectable though. Obama was basically a no name when he first ran, Pataki was a no name, Brown was a no name. As long as you have the willingness and the work ethic to get your name and positions out there to people you can make a race competitive, or at least more competitive against Cuomo.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »

Being a no name doesn't make you unelectable though. Obama was basically a no name when he first ran, Pataki was a no name, Brown was a no name. As long as you have the willingness and the work ethic to get your name and positions out there to people you can make a race competitive, or at least more competitive against Cuomo.

Not if you have an R next to your name in New York.....
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 05:05:06 PM »

James Walsh
Susan Molinari
Greg Edwards
Kathleen Jimino
Andrew Lanza
Catherine Young
Maggie Brooks
Brian Kolb

Because Cuomo is the current heir apparent and he was never going to lose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies